This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me a picture of something that isn't there

I have no idea how the designers keep their jobs. It's a very detailed oriented position and they make mistakes on these details on literally every job. This is particularly infuriating to me because I know that in spite on these shortcomings, they are still making 2-5 times as much as me. So I'm pretty much done holding their hands and walking them through the solutions to their screw ups. I tell them what they screwed up and let them figure it out.

This one however is ridiculously easy. They just didn't bother counting how many panels they needed so I was short one. Solution is pretty easy, order the required panel. But they have this policy where I have to have a picture to accompany all deficiencies. This is fine for scratches, damages, colours (that I'm not allowed to identify), or basically anything that can have a photo taken of it. But when it's a missing part..... uh yeah.... there isn't anything to take a picture of.

So the first email I get is where is the picture. My reply of course is, how do I take a picture of something I don't have? Okay, that's fine, they mean they want to see the station without the panel. What difference does that make... okay whatever, I didn't take a picture. Well how are they supposed to know which panel is missing? You could start by learning how to read your own drawings (or are they such a piece of shit that you can't read them either), or do something wild and crazy like read my report where I clearly stated where it was missing. But.... but.... there are two panels at that spot. Yes, there are supposed to be two panels there, but since you screwed up the order, there is only one. This took literally over a dozen emails to get them to figure it out, but it finally stuck in their head.

Or so I thought. They still couldn't grasp the concept, so they had the client send them a photo of the station. **Gasp** the panel that I said was missing has been installed, obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

Yeah, to cover your ass, and give the client a usable desk, I did some extra work and rigged things up so that it will be functional until the proper parts come in. I think I broke something in their brains with this explanation. I'm now into email 6 trying to get them to understand.

And the solution has not, and will never change: order the right fucking parts and let me handle it.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    And the solution has not, and will never change: order the right fucking parts and let me handle it.
    The solution should be to fire their incompetent asses and hire evilhomer to do the job...

Comment

When my second wife and I wanted a home-improvement loan, the credit union kept asking for "a document from the court" attesting to the fact that I was, in fact, paying support to my alcoholic ex-wife. No such document existed. The courts do not get involved in monitoring support payments unless the payee complains they aren't getting paid. The surreal part is that the support payments were being auto-paid from that very credit union on a monthly basis, they had access to their own account records to see this. I'd call, get the loan officer's assistant, who would just say "the loan officer needs this", I would explain it doesn't exist, ask to speak to the loan officer or have her call me, she'd be unavailable and never called. This went on for 8 weeks. Finally I asked to talk to the head loan officer, that took another 2 weeks to get through, but we got our loan in the end. I would have been faster to go to another lender. I certainly won't use them ever again.
      Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
      TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
        When my second wife and I wanted a home-improvement loan, the credit union kept asking for "a document from the court" attesting to the fact that I was, in fact, paying support to my alcoholic ex-wife. No such document existed. The courts do not get involved in monitoring support payments unless the payee complains they aren't getting paid. The surreal part is that the support payments were being auto-paid from that very credit union on a monthly basis, they had access to their own account records to see this. I'd call, get the loan officer's assistant, who would just say "the loan officer needs this", I would explain it doesn't exist, ask to speak to the loan officer or have her call me, she'd be unavailable and never called. This went on for 8 weeks. Finally I asked to talk to the head loan officer, that took another 2 weeks to get through, but we got our loan in the end. I would have been faster to go to another lender. I certainly won't use them ever again.
        Idiots - even if such a thing existed, it wouldn't help. If you were a deadbeat, it would show on your credit report, and you obviously told them about the payment or they'd never have been asking if you were up to date.

It's a little scary when a CU can't actually perform one of it's basic functions correctly.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
          I have no idea how the designers keep their jobs. It's a very detailed oriented position and they make mistakes on these details on literally every job. This is particularly infuriating to me because I know that in spite on these shortcomings, they are still making 2-5 times as much as me. So I'm pretty much done holding their hands and walking them through the solutions to their screw ups. I tell them what they screwed up and let them figure it out.
          EH, have you considered becoming a designer? I have NO clue what credentials such a being would have, but I'd guess it's mostly 'being familiar with the product line' and 'being able to count' as well as 'being able to draw a coherent diagram from a client's martini-stained napkin'.

The hard bit (I'm sure) would be prying all the appropriate details (like 'what do you actually want' and 'which building, exactly, is this all going into?') out of the client, but at least it wouldn't involve actually MOVING the stuff yourself, and it might well involve less other people on your own team. (I know your fellow employees are a constant source of frustration).
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Take a picture of the parts lined up and a sign saying "wheres the extra one"? Sounds to me like you have a bunch of creative people who aren't very good with details and too stupid to admit it, let alone come up with come up with ways to get around that limitation like I have to do with my ADD.
            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 10-14-2016, 10:24 PM.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              EH, have you considered becoming a designer? I have NO clue what credentials such a being would have, but I'd guess it's mostly 'being familiar with the product line' and 'being able to count' as well as 'being able to draw a coherent diagram from a client's martini-stained napkin'.

The hard bit (I'm sure) would be prying all the appropriate details (like 'what do you actually want' and 'which building, exactly, is this all going into?') out of the client, but at least it wouldn't involve actually MOVING the stuff yourself, and it might well involve less other people on your own team. (I know your fellow employees are a constant source of frustration).
              I've certainly considered it, but practical experience and ability count for nothing, so I'd have to take some classes (time and money that I don't have). I'd also have to repair my brain from the degradation that it's had from putting up with this shit for so long. I used to be sharp as a tack, I'd know how many screws are needed, let alone how many panels; but I've been beaten down so many times, I'm almost as bad as the morons that have the job. Then even if I could land a job somewhere, I'd be living off commission, I really need a steady cheque coming in.

Then of course there is the customer factor. I can only guess how many countless hours these guys put in explaining things to them, long and frustrating hours. Then after all that time, they still didn't understand something, so they want changes after the fact. I'd have to rebuild some of the patience in my damaged brain to put up with that crap.

I have suggested design services to my Morons in Management, something that they could charge big money for. But no, they don't think clients would go for it, and it would scare many off. So instead, when needed, I've got to do it for free on the day of the job, when I'm already in a tight time crunch to get the job done, even if this essential prep work had been done
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Idiot designers. Are you allowed to tell the client they won't be getting the part they thought they paid for? Or would you be in trouble? Maybe you could go back and take out the rigged part. Mumble something about policy and non-standard parts.

Skeptic53, I don't know if you meant alimony or child support. Here all child support goes through the state system. Dad pays state, state puts money on a debit card for mom. Don't know about alimony. So your bank might have been used to that.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                  Idiot designers. Are you allowed to tell the client they won't be getting the part they thought they paid for? Or would you be in trouble? Maybe you could go back and take out the rigged part. Mumble something about policy and non-standard parts.
                  probably not, he's not even allowed to say what color a couch is.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                    he's not even allowed to say what color a couch is.
                    There are four lights! (too dark?)

But seriously, his work has so beaten him that he doesn't think he can do a job that I really think he could. Homer, consider your mental state... You can't think straight currently, which is understandable. But if you had the opportunity to sit calmly, not be hauling crap around, yelling at both your CWs and managers, your brain would be able to work again.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                      Yeah, I have to tell them when there is a problem. Of course, after the debacle I had over something so simple as the colour of a chair, maybe I'm not allowed to do this. "Yeah, let's see, I need 2 panels and I'm counting 1 here, I cannot confirm or deny that we may be short 1 panel, these counts and numbers will have to be verified with the appropriate representative of the design team". I think I'll use that one next time.

I didn't really rig a part, just the layout to make it work. I never build anything that isn't up to the manufacturers specs.
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                        That stinks. We don't care about proof of support payments for our home equity loans unless there's a court judgement or lien against you concerning them. If the title search is clear, it's a non issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X