Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ventured out to Wally World around suppertime today and it wasn't entirely horrible. But then it isn't as big a deal here in Newfoundland. According to the one sales clerk I spoke to it was nuts when they opened today because they had some big discounts on items they only got maybe five each of for today. While I was in the electronics section some guy rushed in and asked about a TV that was advertised for dirt cheap, and then had a temper tantrum when he was told they'd sold the last one about an hour after they opened today. Yes, the guy tried the whole false advertising thing, and would not listen as the clerk tried to explain that the sale was marked as 'while supplies last'. I left the section before I got mad enough to slap the guy...at least I was in my civvies and not my uniform.

All the Wally Worlds in the area open a 6am tomorrow. At 6am I plan on still being asleep, not at some stupid store vying for a deal on something I don't really need.

Comment

Word on the book of feces faces has it that the local Voldemart was Black Friday levels of busy from about Noon yesterday until well after nightfall. I needed to go there, but I did so at 7 in the morning...At the time, biz was so slow that they could actually *justify* only having two registers open. A trio of cops were in there, apparently having a planning session for later in the day.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        ETA: shit overheard in line: “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is a lame movie.”

We’ve found a witch. May we burn her?
        I say nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Not planning on doing anything in the way of shopping except for picking up a prescription.

Edited to add: Went to get the prescription, and the parking lot on the side of the plaza where Target is located was packed. On the other side, where I went, the parking lot was virtually deserted. The traffic to get in and out of the Target side of the parking lot was horrendous, so Turtleguy went to an exit we usually don't take. Got home, don't intend to go back out for awhile.
          Last edited by Sparklyturtle; 11-25-2017, 12:46 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

I didn't like Christmas Vacation but that's because it was just too uncomfortably real.

I mean I don't hate it or anything at least.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yesterday while on my festivities, I drove past the local mall and at 2 it was packed. Going home around 10 again super packed. Separate from them all itself is a Best Buy and Kohl's and the mall has the usual anchors but I just can't imagine the deal were so good that the mall had to be that crowded. I also drove by my work and while it wasn't crowded there were lots of cars in the parking lot. I'm sure I'll get the whole report when I go in at 3 today. Not expecting anything but crabby customers.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Here at the bank, it has been very quiet. Everybody is either using debit or got their cash before Thanksgiving. Which is a good thing, since there's only 3 of us (out of the normal 8) working today.

I'm hoping that by the time I go to Wally World after work, it will be not too busy.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

I talked to one of my former co-workers from Random Craft Store the other day, said store is still opening on Thanksgiving. While I didn't, and still don't, like this former co-worker, I did feel slightly bad for her because apparently the SM that I quit under, has made working Thanksgiving a "either you work this day or you get fired" type of deal. Used to be that it was volunteer only.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Word on the book of feces faces has it that the local Voldemart was Black Friday levels of busy from about Noon yesterday until well after nightfall. I needed to go there, but I did so at 7 in the morning...At the time, biz was so slow that they could actually *justify* only having two registers open. A trio of cops were in there, apparently having a planning session for later in the day.
                    I posted a thread over at Fratching that talks about how people are actually trying to get their hands on the "uniform" for different stores (i.e. the vest for Wally-World, or the Blue polo for Yellow-Price-Tag). Then they pretend they're employees to "jump the line", then when the sale "starts" they're already in the store and can be "first" (or whatever), so they don't have to wait in line.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I needed a miter saw that can cut my new 9" wide pine plank flooring. Stopped at an Orange Apron on the way home from the In-Laws. This store is in the boonies. No other Big Box stores near it. I pulled into the parking lot and it was only half full. Walked inside. Went to tools. Grabbed the box. Walked up to an empty SCO and was out the door in under 5 minutes.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I have conflicted thoughts about shopping on holidays. While I do think it sucks to be working on a holiday, back when I worked retail, I always wanted more hours.

If people didn't shop or go to movies or whatever on holidays, the businesses would close for the day. That could mean that some people who really wanted to work due to wanting money would have an unpaid day off.

Yes, I do tend to overthink things, why do you ask?

As it happens, I haven't left our property since I got home on Tuesday. I'm so loving it, but I will have to go out tomorrow.

Comment

Went to Best Buy today to peruse the movie deals. Was crowded, but far from insane. Picked up sixteen movies on Blu-Ray and paid $110 for the lot. Was standing in line for less than ten minutes.

Comment

I went for coffee with my sister today and for some reason didn't expect the huge crowd at the coffee shop. Apparently a lot of people were shopping on that street (lots of boutiques and stuff down there). The line was nearly out the door. Didn't mind that so much but what on earth is wrong with people who bring Volkswagen-sized kiddie strollers into such a place, and/or let their toddler wander all over the shop??
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I admit I did some shopping today but not for Christmas and not at the mall. I took a walk at my favorite park/neighborhood and when I was almost home I really had to pee. I stopped at Big Lots to use the restroom and look at Christmas lights. I found some food stuffs and hand lotions for my purse (a gift set). I said I wasn't going to shop today but I feel somewhat OK about it; I didn't contribute to the traffic jam at the mall and was done shopping at 9:30. BL is now open until 11:00 but I know the foot traffic must've dropped off after I left so I hope their corporate people look at sales and decide next year that 9:30 or 10:00 is late enough. The lady who checked me out was clearly not thrilled to be there. And I didn't say a word because I remember customers getting angry at my feelings, which I didn't voice and had a right to have. I won't do that to someone else. I didn't take it personally because I know the world doesn't revolve around me.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The used-book store I work for was busier than I've ever seen it (I don't think I've ever worked a Black Friday before). Unlike most "busy" days, we actually sold a lot of books. The Downtown Mall likewise was utterly mobbed.

The customers were not, however, sucky, they were (as usual) quite nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X