Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your brain is full of spiders, You've got garlic in your soul, Mr. SC...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    I use both. I back up to the cloud every time I do anything major, and I back up my files to a thumb drive on a regular basis as well.
    That's one part of knowledge that's been drilled since I started tech; for critical data, have one copy onsite (home), and one offsite (work, the cloud, etc.) for just the reasons you mentioned. Plus, a good cloud service is going to have hundreds, if not thousands of servers to keep your data safe.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      ... [The cloud is] nothing more than a bunch of servers. Servers, which do require maintenance, and *can* fail.
      True, but it depends immensely on the provider. Many of the more reputable providers will have significant redundancy such that if a server goes down there is a pretty smooth transition to a fail-over server. And storage is pretty much always redundant, most often with multiple redundancy.

That's generally a lot more reliable than a single server somewhere. Granted, nothing is perfect, but the provider's whole business model is to provide servers. If they eff that up, there's no reason for them to exist!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
      X