Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a bad man (but you love me anyway)

So, I got yet another scammy job email today, I mean, seriously, really bad.

Hi dear Smiley Eagle,
    Our company is happy to inform you that there is a vacancy in your region to be filled. We’re ready to supply you with all the necessary information so you can occupy it right away.
    None of our competitors can offer individual training courses, working conditions or higher salaries.
    You run your own business? Then we have something special to offer you.

Make sure that you as a seeker meet the requirements listed below:
    Discipline, excellent English writing skills, zeal, school-leaving certificate, the age of 25 or older

Our corporation warrants you the best working conditions in the sphere, great experience and knowledge along with excellent compensation package.
    I'm getting sick of these, so I responded to the email thusly:

im interested in this position i have discipline english righting abilities much zeal a school-leaving certificate and am over 25 please me give more details about youre company
    oh, I will enjoy playing this game if they actually take that horrible bait.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

A school leaving certificate? Really?

That's nearly as bad as the phishing emails that can't spell their own supposed company's name.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Age 25 is oddly specific too until you realize that's the age you need to be to sign for your own financial accounts in the USA.

Comment

I recently got a similar email, I'm actually wondering if they are pulling email addresses from the forums.
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

You ARE a bad person, Smiley But I'll forgive you for it, just this once
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

A "school-leaving certificate"? I can have one of those made up right away!

This certifies that

INSERT NAME HERE

Dropped out of school in the 9th Grade/ Was expelled from school for (insert major transgression here)

(Also available in lower grades for the, ummmm, "country" crowd.)

Hey, they didn't say how I had to leave school, just that I left it! I can haz job nao?
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Hey, why don't you respond to them in a different language? Just use Google Translate, and copy and paste the translation into your email. If the email is particularly annoying, you can swear in the other language and hope that they don't understand you.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Nicely played, Smiley. Very nicely played.

Quoth static
                In Ireland the final set of exams you take before finishing school really are called the Leaving Certificate. You get college places depending on how well you do and a lot of jobs require it, so it's a pretty big deal here.

Still, pretty bad form if they're from anywhere else.
                Yeah, but I got a Leaving Cert, not a Cert of Leaving when I finished up.

And to add to what cindybbubbles said, translate in google translate, translate back to english, repeat, then send. The joyous nonsense you can come up with that way.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                  Age 25 is oddly specific too until you realize that's the age you need to be to sign for your own financial accounts in the USA.
                  You actually can sign up for your own accounts at 18. 25 isn't a legal requirement, it may be policy for some of the private institutions, but there isn't a law that says you have to wait until then.
                  Also, 25 is a somewhat common number in that 25 is a common minimum age to be added to corporate insurance policies (again, 18 is the legal minimum age... well 21 if you will have enough passengers to require a passenger endorsement, but that is because you have to be 21 for a passenger endorsement, not anything to do with insurance. 25 is a common restrictions that companies place though because that is when insurance rates go down for most people because at that point most people who are driving will have been doing so for 10 years).

Comment

Nice response! The ones I love are the erstwhile notices from banks (that are outside my country and/or I have never heard of) telling me my account has been frozen and I must give them my account details immediately in order to un-freeze it. I've been tempted to type in gibberish and random numbers but I don't want to encourage them once they realize they've hit a genuine, oft-used email address.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                      Hey, why don't you respond to them in a different language? Just use Google Translate, and copy and paste the translation into your email. If the email is particularly annoying, you can swear in the other language and hope that they don't understand you.
                      Or, type out a nice letter explaining your qualifications, then run it through Google Translator a couple of times (from English to Japanese, copy, paste, Japanese to English, copy, paste, English to German, copy, paste, German to English, etc.).

(There was a radio show that would do that as a weekly contest... run the lyrics of a popular song through Google and see if any of the listeners could figure it out)
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

A friend got a call from a scammer a couple of days back and had a bit of fun with them ala userfriendly before they finally took the hint and hung up on him =p He had the call on speakerphone so I could hear the convo.

Scammer: Hello, this is <false name> calling from your bank, how are you today?
                        Friend: Fine, thanks for asking
                        Scammer: We have reason to believe that someone may have compromised your account and need to verify your details before we continue to make sure we are speaking to the account holder
                        Friend: sure, fire away
                        Scammer: First of all, what is your name?
                        Friend: *gives obviously fake name* J. Christ
                        Scammer: (continues without missing a beat, a dead giveaway) And your date of birth?
                        Friend: This incarnation? December 25th, 1950
                        Scammer: And who do you bank with?
                        Friend: The bank you are calling from.
                        Scammer: (is thrown for a second, but seems to recover quickly) *slightly nervous laugh* It's just a security question, to ensure you are an authorised party. So, who do you bank with?
                        Friend: I don't have a bank.
                        Scammer: You just said you bank with us!
                        Friend: That is because you said you were calling from my bank. So how much money do I have?
                        Scammer: *hangs up*

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                        Or, type out a nice letter explaining your qualifications, then run it through Google Translator a couple of times (from English to Japanese, copy, paste, Japanese to English, copy, paste, English to German, copy, paste, German to English, etc.).

(There was a radio show that would do that as a weekly contest... run the lyrics of a popular song through Google and see if any of the listeners could figure it out)

Using babelfish is much better for that kind of thing, Google Translate is actually semi-accurate with certain translations, Babelfish always has been and always will be ridiculously inaccurate.
                        Last edited by Kagato; 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM.
                        Violets are blue,
                        Roses are red,
                        I bequeath to thee...
                        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Friend: *gives obviously fake name* J. Christ
                          Scammer: (continues without missing a beat, a dead giveaway) And your date of birth?
                          Friend: This incarnation? December 25th, 1950
                          Well, Jesus saves....and gets 5% interest....
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            What bank does Jesus go to... I'd love to get 5% interest on savings.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              My old church said he always got 10%...

Or you'd go to hell.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X