Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats. You deserve happiness & love. Hope it's forever, but it'll be what it'll be - just enjoy it and let it become whatever it becomes.

I can't say much about the "online" aspect. I've never met someone romantically online, nor know anyone who has. (ok, we won't count the relative who dragged her significant other to another state so they could live with a guy she met online and be a threesome - things did not turn out pretty ). But I know that I have online friends that I would tell things to that I wouldn't tell some of my closest "real life" friends. It's certainly possible to bond without meeting. Look at it one way - some couples start off all hot & heavy and don't really talk, by the time they cool off enough to talk a lot, they realize all they have is chemistry. You've been talking from the beginning, you may very well know each other better than a lot of couples who have together all along.

As for the rest. Well, I have a friend who was in her 40's when she first fell in love. She was married young (pushed into it by family & church), had several children, didn't have a very happy life. Then in her 40's she met the love of her life - who just happened to be another woman. They've been together now well over 20 years, and even were married a few years ago (not locally, sigh). When love hits, it can take you by surprise.

My best wishes for the two of you.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

When it comes to Marmalady, if there is a cure for what I am feeling (for a long long time) I don't want it
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
        When it comes to Marmalady, if there is a cure for what I am feeling (for a long long time) I don't want it
        Awwww...... *squees and does happy dance*

You and me both, honey.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Jester, you have just reaffirmed why I think you are one of the top most awesomest people on these boards.

Everything you're saying is absolutely spot on, and I greatly appreciate your honesty. Don't worry, my parade remains thoroughly unrained upon.

I will be careful, and yes, I may even get my heart broken in the end (it's always a risk) but holy frijoles batman am I gonna make the most of this ride. For once, I am going to do exactly what I want and when I feel it's the right time and be exactly who I am with no apologies made. Might it end up crashing and burning, you betcha. But I am damned sure taking that ride.

In the end, one of us is going to have to move. It's eventually going to come to that head where a move happens, or the relationship (at least on a romantic level) has to stop. Fortunately for both of us, even before I met her I was seriously looking in to moving to another country...those top five on my list being Norway, New Zealand, Canada, England or Australia. All this has done is severely narrowed the list down now At least I know if I do make that big move, if things fall apart, it will still have been to a country I wanted to go to and live in to begin with.

Anyway, thank you again. Everything you said was very wise and wonderful, and I really do appreciate everyone's words of support (and caution)!

**BIG MASSIVE CS GROUP HUG!**
          My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

The dopamine I mentioned is the chemical aspect of the 'dizzy in love' that Jester was talking about: and part of the reason that people tend to overlook potential problems.

Part of why Jester felt the same way with the wonderful woman and the vile one.

Anyway: as he said, enjoy it for now. Later will happen when it does.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Enjoy the whole "giddy in love" phase. It is, as everyone else has stated, a lot of fun. The giddy part will fade in time, even with the most committed of couples. That doesn't mean you'll fall out of love; it just means you will not be continually grinning like an idiot in each others' presence. My wife still makes me smile every time she walks in the room, but I did eventually recover the ability (when needed) to think about something other than her when she was within 10 feet of me. :-)

It's actually probably good that you are in your mid-30's and in love for the first time. If you were the type to "fall in love" at the drop of a proverbial hat, you probably would have gotten it out of your system by now.

While of course you should be aware that with your first love, you have nothing to compare it to; don't let that scare you away either. My wife and I did not start dating until she was 35 (I was 23 at the time.) She had had numerous relationships and even been engaged once. She was my first romantic relationship that lasted longer than a month.

We just had our 10th anniversary last month, and are still truckin' with the whole "Honeymoon" phase. I'm not perfect, and she's not either, but I can certainly state we were made for each other. There are times when I get frustrated or even a little angry with her, and I know the reverse is true, but that's normal, natural, and just fine. It's the ability to kiss and make up afterwards that's important. (Along with not getting upset with each other that often...)

Have a good time, and good luck!

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                It's actually probably good that you are in your mid-30's and in love for the first time. If you were the type to "fall in love" at the drop of a proverbial hat, you probably would have gotten it out of your system by now.
                I'm quite happy to report that while that might be true for some, it is definitely not so for all.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
                  Jester, you have just reaffirmed why I think you are one of the top most awesomest people on these boards.
                  And here I thought it was my muffin ass.

J/k. Glad I could help!

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Part of why Jester felt the same way with the wonderful woman and the vile one.
                  Not the same way. Similarly at the beginning, but not the same way. One made me feel like the King of the World, and the other made me feel like a foolish beggar.

Yes, I know you didn't mean it quite like that, and I know I am being nit-picky, but I'm sorry, I cannot in good conscience allow the love of my life and the worst girl I've ever dated to be in any way considered "the same." It's anal of me, yes, I know that, and probably annoying, but it's important that I make it clear that the similarity was only in the beginning, and was only superficial.

Honestly, comparing these two is like comparing a brand new Aston Martin and a broken down Chevy Chevette.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                  X