This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooh! Shiny!

I've finally taken the plunge & acquired a kindle.

Pros.

It's far easier to lug about than numerous books - including textbooks, additionally its' pdf support is good. The screen is holding up in different light conditions well too.

Cons.

It's far too bloody easy to buy books dammit!

The only tip I've managed to aquire through using it is that unless you're using it then turn off the wireless - helps with battery life.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Oh, aren't Kindles lovely? <3 I don't know how I ever got along without mine before. Wait, yes I do. XD It's written in your 'pros' section: Carrying around numerous books at one time.

It was particularly bad whenever we went on trips because I'd pack like 3 or 4 books in my suitcase. Or, at school, I'd have two books on hand at all times- The one I was actively reading at the time and an extra in case I finished the first one. Now I just bring my Kindle everywhere (seriously, even if I'm just going with my mom to the hair salon, I bring it with me).

And, yes, leaving the wireless on all the time is the fastest way to drain the battery. Unless I'm uploading books and I know the signal is good, I leave the wireless off.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Welcome to the Kindle Klub

I love my kindle too, I use it daily & also use the kindle reader on my phone when I'm on the bus/gym etc.
      Thinking about it, I leave the wifi on all the time & I don't think I charge it more than once month even after having it for over a year & a half! Don't use it for PDFs though.
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I just got one too - I've got a 10 hour flight coming up next week and it was either this or 57,546 books.

Mine was a birthday gift from my folks - I'm busy scouring Amazon for some cheap/free books until I can get a new job and not feel guilty for spending money on books!
        "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

My Mom is part of a list where she can get about 30 free books every few days. She's filled up a couple different external harddrives of free books.

Comment

I just LOVE my Kindle. I have over 350 books on it, and acquire new stuff weekly. For free and/or cheap stuff check out:

Kindle on the Cheap (FB): https://www.facebook.com/KotC4Me

Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/

ManyBooks: http://manybooks.net/

FeedBooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/

In addition if you go to the Amazon store and type in "free ebooks" there are thousands available. Many of the public domain books are there, and in addition, many authors of older series will make the first book free in order to get new readers interested in their work and then buy subsequent editions.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

The Baen Free Library is a good source, too
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Yep, I too have turned into a Kindle junkie!

Beyond being able to carry around a bazillion books at once, I really like that I can read the same book on my Kindle Touch, my phone, or my computer. So I am stuck warming a bench while my wife and daughter are trying to find the perfect on-sale back-to-school stuff I can read a chapter or two.
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Gumby30 View Post
                  I just got one too - I've got a 10 hour flight coming up next week and it was either this or 57,546 books.

Mine was a birthday gift from my folks - I'm busy scouring Amazon for some cheap/free books until I can get a new job and not feel guilty for spending money on books!
                  Doesn't that sound familiar ...

I want to try an e-reader someday -- can't afford one ATM. I don't see myself ever giving up "real" books but I'm being lured by the convenience of an e-reader during travel.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    I don't see myself ever giving up "real" books but I'm being lured by the convenience of an e-reader during travel.
                    Who says you have to give up real books just because you have an e-reader? I sure as heck haven't. Some books don't come in e-book form and there's quite a few books I've found that are actually cheaper to buy a physical paperback copy of than to buy the Kindle version.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Cons.

It's far too bloody easy to buy books dammit!
                      Yeah, Barnes & Noble makes you put a credit card on your nook account even if you plan to pay with a gift card. I was planning to just use gift cards so I can limit the amount of money I have available (I do this with iTunes and you don't have to have a credit card attached) but it wasn't an option. I download a lot of samples of stuff I think I might want and only buy if I still want to read when I'm done. Or I read the sample and then check the library.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have a Kobo, which is the official ereader of the main bookstore chain here in Canada.

My dad bought if for me Christmas 2010, but ironically only buy me paper books. I constantly ask him to get my gift cards for the bookstore so I can by ebooks, but he just finds out what i like to read and gets me the real thing. I appreciate it. But it totally undermines the point of the Kobo. Right now all I have on it are there romance novels my friend gave me for my birthday, and classic public domain books.
                        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I bought an iPad about a week ago. I have an ereader function on it.

Now I'm trying to get all of my textbooks done as e-readers
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have kindle on my pc and boy does it make it easy buy e books. one click and you're done. I think I have about 100 books so far. I'm an e book junkie 2 readers on my pc and one handheld unit.
                            Last edited by dawnfire; 08-17-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I love my kindle, it comes everywhere with me as well. I still buy books, but having a kindle makes it a lot easier on my purse when it comes to classics, and poetry. Plus I've been lucky a few times and gotten new books earlier than I would if they were hardback releases.

I've only got 1 pretty case but I like the idea of the skins and buying some other decorative cases.
                              "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Working...
                              X