Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a kindle, is there a way to say, "Hey, I have the hard copy of the book. Can I just get it now on my Kindle for free?" so this way you don't have to pay a second time?
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
      If you have a kindle, is there a way to say, "Hey, I have the hard copy of the book. Can I just get it now on my Kindle for free?" so this way you don't have to pay a second time?
      Doubtful.

I did read something about bundling ebook and physical copies of books; I forget if it was a B&N thing or the publishers doing it.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
        Who says you have to give up real books just because you have an e-reader? I sure as heck haven't. Some books don't come in e-book form and there's quite a few books I've found that are actually cheaper to buy a physical paperback copy of than to buy the Kindle version.
        I've kept buying some physical books. Specifically text books (so I can sell them on after Uni) and also Oxford Handbooks of [blah] I've got a physical copies of these so

a) JIC I get bodily fluids on it - it's cheaper to replace than the kindle
        b) It doesn't look too great if I'm in the middle of treating a patient & I get some electronic whizbang gadgetry out
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I have a Nook, myself. Love, love, love being able to load up a lot of books and just go. I have over a two hour round trip commute by light rail to get to school, and it's a lifesaver. Finished a book, just open a new one. Decide that you aren't really interested in reading the book you have open, just open a new one.

My roommate gave me grief about it for ages - teasing me that her paper books never run out of battery life, etc. Even after her daughter started using the reader apps on her iPhone, she just started teasing both of us. Then she started asking one or the other of us to let her borrow an ebook that we had and she wanted to read, and she would read them on her laptop.

A month ago, I went from a Kobo to a Nook. I reset the Kobo and gave it to her. It's become an almost permanent attachment for her. Today, I got home from school an had to take my laptop away from her - she was going through my Calibre library .

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post

A month ago, I went from a Kobo to a Nook. I reset the Kobo and gave it to her. It's become an almost permanent attachment for her. Today, I got home from school an had to take my laptop away from her - she was going through my Calibre library .
            ROFLMAO

I now have around 1800 of my 5000+ books scanned in, and am slowly correcting the OCR errors, and tweaking the metadata in Calibre =)

So far that is one of the less kludgy library programs I have used. Although I read on my first generation Droid, my hubby has the Sony reader 300 series I have. My phone has around 900 books on it.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

good thought about having physical copies of books and wanting them on your ereader (a nook in my case). Can i scan pages of my books into a PDF format (I have no life and literally hundreds of books), and upload them into my nook?
              It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
              X