This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Disappeared" threads not fully hidden

This applies to the "I didn't pay my bill for 2 months" thread in the PFB subforum. The thread is no longer visible in the subforum (I assume it was "marked invisible" for review by the site admins, probably due to its content), but at the time it vanished it was the most recently updated thread in that forum. Because of this, it still appears as the "hot" thread for this forum on the top-level forums (fora?) page. Clicking on this still-visible link leads to the "invalid thread - if you got here by following a link, contact the administrator" message.

Looks like a bug in vBulletin - "hiding" a thread will take it off the listing in the forum, but will still show it on the "next step up" page if the thread that was "hidden" was the most recently updated in its forum.

Also (just curious), what actually happened to this thread?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

We'll look into it -- Thanks! ^_^

For the specific thread: certain posts within it are currently under moderator discussion.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Having worked as a programmer in the past, I'm all too familiar with "Oops - didn't think about what would happen if this particular combination of circumstances happened" bugs (which is probably why "most recently updated" thread in a forum that gets hidden isn't hidden when you look at the next higher level page).

Remember the BBS era with door games? I liked "Legend of the Red Dragon" - and always played a promiscuous female character. Something the developer hadn't anticipated gave such characters an in-game advantage. Also, there was an unanticipated interaction between a certain pair of 3rd-party add-ons for the game - and I exploited that interaction shamelessly.

Back in the MS-DOS era, Ford released a crude driving game with the available cars being their product line. The first 2 things I tried were off-roading in the Explorer (game tried to take me back to the road) and pulling a 5-1 shift at 60 MPH (vehicle rapidly slowed to the speed it would do in 1st gear, but no indication that this would be a BAD IDEA in a real car).

ETA: I see the problem is resolved by 2 separate actions (either of which, on its own, would have fixed it): thread was "unhidden", and people updated other threads in the forum (making this no longer the "most recently updated" thread shown by the "senior" menu.
      Last edited by wolfie; 04-11-2015, 09:44 PM. Reason: update
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
      X