X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*puts on educator cap*

IP Address = Internet Protocol Address
    Every website on the internet has an IP Address, and that IP Address is how a browser identifies a website or even another computer in a network environment.

DNS = Dynamic Name System
    IP Addresses are hard to remember. So websites have names instead of numbers. DNS lookup services will translate the name of a website to the website's IP Address so that your computer can access it. Here's an excellent article.

The upshot is that if your computer/network does not have the right (or enough) DNS services listed either on the computer itself or through the Network you won't be able to find some less popular websites until at least one of the available DNS services has updated to include that site.

Most people have DNS lookup through their ISP, which is the network gateway between themselves and the rest of the Internet. However, not all ISP's use the same DNS services, and not all DNS services are worth using.

The DNS lookup is not a function of the browser, but is part of the TCP/IP part of the network configuration.

Who is your internet provider?

Cookies
    Cookies are (usually) temporary files that websites leave on computers to store information such as login data, what parts of a site you have visited, ad tracking data, and such. Some are more obnoxious than others. The vast majority, however, are inoccuous. An article.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In this particular case, plugging in the IP address(es) will not work. They go to a web page for the web hosting company. The web server must be set up to check the URL you are requesting and redirecting internally to show gbm85's website. (www.csalbum.com -> CNAME to gbm85cspic.nfshost.com -> A records 64.38.221.82, 64.38.221.146, 64.38.221.253)

From the error messages, sounds like it's having a problem with the CNAME. If that is indeed the case, Plaidman should be able to get to:
      http://gbm85cspic.nfshost.com

DNS errors can be very misleading. If your browser can't get to a website for any reason, it will usually spit out a DNS error, even though it's a connectivity to the internet issue or something else entirely.

Comment

While it is correct that www.csalbum.com is a CNAME for gbm85cspic.nfshost.com, going to the latter will only redirect you to the former. The site is set up so that all requests that reach it using a FQDN other than www.csalbum.com will get redirected to the same. There is only one thing I can think of that could be causing this problem.

A CNAME is not really a redirect, per se. This is how a CNAME is supposed to work, using a real-world example:

Plaidman: I'm looking for Bob.
        411: To reach Bob, call Steve's number and ask for Bob.

This is how it appears to be happening in this case:

Plaidman: I'm looking for Bob.
        411: Bob is really an alias used by Steve.
        Plaidman: Hello, Steve.
        Steve: I don't trade under my real name. Call Bob.
        Plaidman: 411, I'm looking for Bob.
        411: Bob is really an alias used by Steve.
        Plaidman: Hello, Steve.
        Steve: I don't trade under my real name. Call Bob.

And so on and so forth, in an unending loop. I guess all you can do is wait it out for a few days and see if it fixes itself. If not, we'll have to look into it further.
        >++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<+.>>>++++[<++++++++>-]<.<++++++[<++++++>-]<+.>+++[<--->-]<..-.>>.<<---.>>.<+++[<+++>-]<++.---.---.-.>+++++[<----------->-]<.

Comment

What happens if you try to go to www.csalbum.com/gallery.php?p=1 instead of just www.csalbum.com ?

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hello Kitty, Andara Bledin nether work for me on Internet Explorer or firefox.

I also have Comcast Cable Highspeed internet.

I'm gonna try to do what gb says, and wait a few more days. It always worked before, so I'm curious as to why it won't work.
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Hey, it works now
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I'm still putting my money on a slow DNS update.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                X