Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 character limit annoyances on the latest forum software upgrade...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 character limit annoyances on the latest forum software upgrade...

This is something that's been bugging me for a bit, but I just hadn't decided to speak up until now.

First off, let me just say that I understand why there is a minimum posting requirement of 10 characters, AND I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH IT.

HOWEVER... after the most recent upgrade to the forum software, that 10 character limit has become extremely annoying, because it no longer counts the characters enclosed in QUOTE tags. This becomes especially annoying in threads like the Favorite Song Lyrics topics, where lots of people post the quoted lyrics within QUOTE tags. When I'm taking the time to post something as lengthy as the lyrics to a song, those characters should be counted as part of the length of my post, even if they're enclosed in QUOTE tags. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that felt the same way about this as I do.

Don't know if there's anything that can actually be done about this, but I just wanted to voice my concern with it, for the record.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Well, there's another forum upgrade coming, so it won't be explored until after then, at the earliest, but I can tell you it's unlikely to change, since primarily, it's to prevent people from quoting a chunk of someone's post and then just going "I agree" or "this" or "lol." That becomes useless if quoted text counts. For an example like you said, with song lyrics, why not just put the song title outside of the quote tags. There's your 10 characters.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      For an example like you said, with song lyrics, why not just put the song title outside of the quote tags. There's your 10 characters.
      Good idea, I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks for taking the time to read my little mini-rant. Nothing to see here, move along, move along...
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

I seem to remember that it's never counted stuff in quote tags against the character limit.

Rapscallion (not at home and unable to check properly)

Comment

I don't recall a time when the character minimum included quoted text. I'm pretty sure this isn't a recent thing, but I could be wrong.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
          X