This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L I S T E N to me, lady.. long

I'm stuck at the front window, which only proved to be the job from hell yesterday. I'm getting swamped with patients, several of their orders have problems form the idiots at their doctor's office and I have to fix them. I have some idiot teenager who found out that she was pregnant and she wants *me* to find an obgyn, schedule an appointment for her, and tell her what she needs to do (I've NEVER been pregnant so I don't know); I have some guy that thinks he can just show up and have an ultrasound; some guy that dosen't speak english that thinks he's here for surgery and has no paperwork... so you can see that I'm alredy busy. While all of this is going on idiots keep bypassing the big desk right infront of the door that says I N F O R M A T I O N to ask me,at the little window in the corner, what room so-and-so is in, where human resources is, and a whole bunch of questions not relating to registration.

In walks this woman who is complaining about burocracy. She hands me an order for Labcorp (lab work that is drawn and then sent to another laboratory per the Dr's request). This woman went directly to labcorp and they sent her to us. The order didn't have a dr's signature and we would have to obtain the signature before the patient had the test done. It's about 5:20 and all the dr's offices were closed and her dr wasn't only not on staff, but we didn't have a back line to the office. I explained to the patient that if she wanted to come back tommorrow, we'd get the order for her. She told me that she knew for a fact that they were in the office and told me to call them... sigh.

I called the office and got the answering service, after explaining the situation to the operator she told me that they weren't in the office and there was nothing we could do. I passed the information on to the patient who told me that I should fax it to them with a note and they'll fax it back ( notice that she's telling ME what to do). I explain to her that there is nobody in the office and I can't sit here and wait for an order unless I have spoke to somone at the office. She dosen't care and continues to demand that I fax the the order and a note. I again explain to her that the answering service confirmed that there is nobody in the office and therefore waiting would be a waste of both our time. I can get the order tommorrow, but it is very unlikely that there is an RN that fix this.

This woman still isn't listening to me and is now yelling at me. I've explained it to her so many times that I'm tired of hearing myself talk. I tell her that we close at 6 and and there is nothing else we can do for her. She is welcome to call the dr's answering service and have them page him for this, but I am not allowed to do that. She still insists that she knows somone is in the office and if I would just fax it they would respond because she "knows it". I fax it and come 6:00 (when we close) no orders came across the fax. I'm alredy running late because I spent my closing time dealing with her and not getting stuff done (my co-worker stayed and helped me, though ). I inform the patient that the order did not come and she would have to come back tommorrow. She wasn't hearing this, she wanted me to stay and wait for the fax because she was certian that they just needed time. I tell her that I'll wait until I finish closing and if it dosen't come in by then, then we'll have to wait until tommorrow. At 6:20 the order still had not come.

She got very angry and wanted to know why I "wasn't willing to stay to help her". I explained to her that the answering service confirmed the office was closed and nobody was in the office and since it has been 40min since they recieved the fax (yes i got confirmation that I not only sent it to the number listed on their business card, but the fax was recieved). I can't stay any later, my boss would shurely hang me for staying late for somthing so obviously stupid. I finally tell her that she can go to the ER, but nobody is going to fax it back. She asked for my name and extension so she can call back to make sure to get the order tommorrow. I tell her that I won't be in until after 2 and I will work on it when I can. I will call her when I recieve the order.

Work calls me on my cell (during class) to find out what on earth this woman was talking about.. she came to the hospital instead of letting me call her.

The order didn't have a dr's signature and we would have to obtain the signature before the patient had the test done.
    Gah, these guys write orders and prescriptions all day, and it amazes me that they forget crap like this. Sometimes they don't even finish writing the person's name on the script, or the quantity, or my personal favorite, the name of the drug! GAH! You are being paid a lot of money, would it kill you to stop for a second and make sure you wrote the damn thing correctly before you hand it out?

sorry, [/rant]

Comment

Now I have to say, I can't exactly read what the eff doctors write half the time anyway, but you mean to tell me that Dr's actually forget to write down the name of the freakin perscription?

Holy shit... I'll be sure to check all that from now on.
      I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
      "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Yes, yes they have. Double check your script before you leave the office, especially if you ever get a schedule 2 drug like percocet or Adderall or something like that, because if they screw up on the drug name or YOUR name, I can't call and get it fixed, you'll have to drive back and get a new script.

The urgent care near us occasionally sends patients with the wrong patient name on them, too. Bonus points if it's a minute after 9 pm and I can't get through the phone system to them to verify. Then the poor patient has to wait until the next day so we can get it fixed.
        I had to do that yesterday to some poor guy where the dentist meant to write for Percocet 7.5/325, but he wrote for Percodan, for some reason (Percocet is oxycodone/acetomenophen, Percodan is oxycodone/aspirin). One, Percodan only comes in 1 strength and it sure isn't 7.5/325, and two, the man was allergic to aspirin.

He did not look amused.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
          Yes, yes they have. Double check your script before you leave the office, especially if you ever get a schedule 2 drug like percocet or Adderall or something like that, because if they screw up on the drug name or YOUR name, I can't call and get it fixed, you'll have to drive back and get a new script.
          After my C-section, the doctor at the hospital, not my regular doctor completely screwed the pooch on my name. That was a PITA to get fixed and we live 40 minutes from the hospital.
          http://leae.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
            Gah, these guys write orders and prescriptions all day, and it amazes me that they forget crap like this. Sometimes they don't even finish writing the person's name on the script, or the quantity, or my personal favorite, the name of the drug! GAH! You are being paid a lot of money, would it kill you to stop for a second and make sure you wrote the damn thing correctly before you hand it out?

sorry, [/rant]
            I ask myself the same question evey day!! If they'd take it seriously and take the time to check it.

I called lab corp and talked to a very nice lady who assured me that they WOULDN'T EVER send a patient to us because they don't require signatures. This patient is a BIG FAT LIAR. I called her and told her that lab corp is expecting her, but she refused to go there and now claims that she has never been to that place. I had to call the DR"s office explain to the doctor why he had to send me a new order, but he was really nice.

Comment

Working...
            X