This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    It's fairly standard on forum software. No idea why they do it. Probably something technical.
    "Look! It's techno-babble man!"

That's right, it is I, the man with the power to confuse and bore you into a complete sleep.

Here's the rundown on why this is done.

The web browser talks to the web server using a method called HTTP (Hyper Text Transport Protocol). HTTP was defined to make a short connection to a remote server, retrieve data over that connection, and then close the connection.

This is different from instant messenger methods, which open a connection, and then leave that connection open. As a result, when the instant messenger connection is closed, you know that the program which was handling the instant messenging is no longer talking to the server in any way, and the person is definitely offline.

HTTP, though, is meant for you to read without being connected to the server. As a result, you might be reading a page from a thread for a good long while before you talk to the server again. As far as you're concerned, you're still online and active. However, the server doesn't know that.

So, what forum authors (and others) have done is to determine the longest time you are likely to be disconnected from the server while still reading content from that server. If you haven't gotten back in touch with the server after that time, it's a pretty safe bet that you're not actually reading the content, and are actually offline.

Now, if you'll excuse, the Home for Geriatric Insomniacs has asked me to do a talk about the many advantages of asynchronous transfer technology. Up, up, and away!

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

So, what forum authors (and others) have done is to determine the longest time you are likely to be disconnected from the server while still reading content from that server. If you haven't gotten back in touch with the server after that time, it's a pretty safe bet that you're not actually reading the content, and are actually offline.
      Is that why you automatically get logged out of the site when you don't do anything for a while? I always wondered about that. I figured it cuts down on the site lagging cause so many people are signed on at once.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
        Is that why you automatically get logged out of the site when you don't do anything for a while?
        A cape! There's a tugging on my cape! Someone not yet asleep? Egads! I must try harder!

Seriously, as a general rule, you are pretty close to correct. The other part of it is that a site can use a cookie to track your login. So, for instance, if you're on your home computer, and tell customerssuck.com to remember you, it sets a cookie that has a far flung expire date. Once that date comes, you'll have to log in again (but that's usually sometime around 2038 for that sort of thingm which has a lot to do with how computers measure time, but that's *way* outside of this discussion).

Now, if your web browser doesn't save those cookies, or if it purges all of them on exit, or you regularly purge them, then those sites will "forget" about you, and you will have to log in.

Sites with higher security requirements (banks, for example) will not provide that option. Instead, they will require that your browser re-contact them once every so often (again, around that fifteen minute mark). When the web browser contacts the server, it gets an updated cookie to give you another chunk of time (15 minutes, again).

There are other ways to track your browser during return visits, but the cookie is the easiest to use, and most popular.

*checks for pulse/breathing* Yep, looks asleep now. Maybe comatose. Boredom, sleep, and snoring. My work here is done!

Comment

The only problem with that is that when someone goes offline, they appear as online for up to fifteen minutes or so. There's a chance you will miss them. The report button gets an email to all mods, so it guarantees a faster response.

Of course, I don't mind being the sole object of your affections...

Rapscallion
          *gives affections*

I'll be sure to hit the report button in the future then.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I got reported once.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
              I got reported once.
              Do you get told then? I always wondered that...
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I think it depends on the mod and the circumstances, such as the reason for the reporting, and the member involved.

If history has shown that telling a person their post was reported causes them to go into a bit of a rage against their fellow members, then we're more than willing to take the heat and come off as the overly nitpicky mod.

Usually, though, we will explain that the post was reported as being problematic.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I even once reported myself. I felt dirty after that.

Rapscallion

Comment

Am I correct that the report button is the one that looks like a bullseye?
                    If so on my computer . . .when I have the mouse over it . . .it says "Quick reply" . . .
                    I haven't tested it because I don't want to waste anyones time getting a "junk" report.

Comment

The report button is actually the exclamation mark (!) button in the top right hand corner of the post.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Rapscallion
                        You know, if you keep doing that, you'll go blind.
                        True story
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

well that would explain it to me

Can I blame the incorrect thinking on the meds?
                          or do I have to rely on the fact I am a true blonde?
                          or even better . . .I just don't know a lot about computers and am really glad this is an easy to use site.

Comment

Rapscallion
                            Do you get the same consequences as if you type 'google' into google...?
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Rapscallion
                              Should we give you a spanking?
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Always.

If it's good, I tip.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X