This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postings

How come when I just posted it told me that I only have 3, I was able to pull up almost 15 posts that has happened since registering. Not that it matters much, I was just wondering.
    Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

To prevent post padding, some forums don't count toward total posts.
    (Sadly, in the past, we had members figure out that posting a lot of news links, or PFB links, or even welcoming new members was a great way to pad their post count, so the changes had to be made.)

If you posted mainly in these forums, then your total count will not reflect it, although a search will bring up all of your posts.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Um, possibly a silly question, but...

What is this "post padding" you speak of? I know we don't want one-word replies to every stinkin' post clogging up the board, but - and I admit some naivete here - is there a fabulous prize to be won by (s)he who postests the mostest?
      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Ya know, puck, I could never understand the need to be the member with the highest post count, but I guess some people find validation in that.

There was a time when a certain level of posts meant a few more privileges. Rather than being a reward for long term members, though, they became an incentive to be the first person to get all these special little bells and whistles, even if it meant making 30 posts in a day with very little to say.

Even after these rewards were removed, there were still people who continually post padded by taking advantage of the 'easy' forums.

Something else I forgot to mention is that, as a result of the blatant post padding, there is also a limit on the number of characters required in a post before it counts, as well.

Posting a whole lot of smilies no longer gains any credit.

So, if the post counts don't seem to match, it's possible a member made a few posts that were under the character limit, as well.

Comment

Words of wisdom

That reminds me of a favorite saying: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm it for everyone."

Thanks for the answer, too.
          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
            That reminds me of a favorite saying: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm it for everyone."

Thanks for the answer, too.
            AMEN!!!! I wish more people would adhere to that saying.

Even though my favorite section here is PFB and Off Topic, I try not to pad anything. Although I could talk your ears off, if given the chance, I try to remain quiet and only post to what I have a good understanding of; unless I am asking a question.

Thank you Ree, for clearing that up. I was beginning to thing I was losing my mind, again

Sorry I put this question in the wrong place. I will learn one day, even if you have to slap me over the head with a big frozen fish.
            Last edited by Crazyredhead; 07-11-2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Quoth Crazyredhead
              I will learn one day, even if you have to slap me over the head with a big frozen fish.
              ill gladly oblige crazyredhead lol

Comment

where can you even see your amount of posts?

i didnt know they counted, just that our catagory changed, like bagger and all that

ps I welcomed a few members when you were on holiday ree, but I wasnt post padding!
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
                  ps I welcomed a few members when you were on holiday ree, but I wasnt post padding!
                  I didn't mean to imply that welcoming people was padding.
                  I think it's great that you welcome people, kiwi.
                  In fact, I wish more of the regulars would do it to make the new people feel welcome.

The padding I was referring to would be if a member were to go through the orientation forum and welcome everyone in one afternoon, yet making posts that lack real substance and do very little in the way of welcoming, but are obviously a bunch of generic posts designed to boost a count.

Comment

If only there were a way to make the post counts invisible, like that troublesome "reputation" feature... it really serves no purpose. After all, many people here have posted thousands of times, but it doesn't show.

Oh, the question:

(edited because "img" tags don't close with "/quote"
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Posts don't really mean much - it's the quality that matters. The 'Heart of the Forums' is prtty much the core of this site, so posts in pretty much all forums there count. Community and Orientation don't. I vaguely tinkered with the idea of having no posts count, but that seems a touch draconian.

As a side note, yesterday saw 550 posts. We're getting back in business

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT
                        If only there were a way to make the post counts invisible, like that troublesome "reputation" feature...
                        What is this "reputation" feature. I don't beleive I have seen it.

*EDIT-fixed quote tags
                        Last edited by Ree; 07-12-2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

We aren't using it on this board, but it is a feature of this software.

It was like a voting system for posts. You could give positive rep for something you liked, and negative rep for posts that you felt deserved it.

Sadly, it became a popularity thing, with some people using it to flame people they didn't like. There were safeguards in place to prevent abuse, but if someone had a quarrel with a member, they could take it out on them by assigning negative rep.

Also, some people, apparently with very low self esteem, got really bent out of shape if their rep dropped at all, and made a huge fuss. Eventually, we went to not showing our rep point stats.

Comment

I wasn't even a mod back when we had the rep feature enabled, but I knew it caused upset. It was one of the first features I disabled.

Considering I had the fourth highest reputation when it was in place and I'd been out of retail for six months at the time, that's an indication of how flawed it was. I was occasionally sniping with odd comments, as usual, and relaying occasional tales from ancient history, but I was still racking up the points in the top numbers. Didn't really seem to be core to the site's function.

Rapscallion

Comment

I have noticed that, because I have been posting alot in Off Topic, my post count doesn't go up when I post there. The "padding" thing, obviously.

Will my post count ever reflect the posts I make in OT again? It's been doing this for 2 days now.
                              ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Working...
                              X