This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Suggestion for "Mods Please Move..."

I've noticed a lot of people who aren't sure if they are posting in the right forum put a suggestion that the mods move the post if it is in the wrong forum.

I'm wondering if it might be more useful for members to report their own posts (using the report button) if they aren't sure they've posted in the right forum *instead* of posting a disclaimer and waiting for a mod to notice it or another member to report it for them.

Just a thought.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

That's a good idea.

My only concern is that it's a bit redundant if the post is in the correct forum to begin with. Every report is checked out by the mods, so it would add a bit to the load of reported posts for no reason, in some cases.

I have always been of the opinion that a member simply has to PM a mod before posting in the first place, or just after they post, if they aren't sure if it's in the correct spot. The mod can then advise them.
    There's usually a mod online.

If a mod is not around, however, then I would rather have the member report the post and ask if it's in the correct spot, rather than read one more, "mods, feel free to move..." since we will move it if it's in the wrong spot, and I find that phrase to be a bit annoying.

That's just my opinion, though.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Seems like a reasonable alternative.

Rapscallion

Comment

I know enough to know that you guys will move the posts, and have been annoyed by that phrasing myself. I've often wondered what I would do if I felt the need to put any similar phrasing in, and here's what I've come up with (please feel free to call me nasty names for thinking of it, if you wish):

"I tried, and hope I got this in the right spot. If I didn't, I apologize to the mods for making them move this for me."

What do you think?

Comment

An alernative would be that if we see that and move a thread or not, we could just edit to remove those words once we'd decided what to do.

*ponder*

Rapscallion

Comment

I like that idea, Raps.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Ree is right. I wouldn't want to create a flurry of reports from people who aren't sure where a post belongs.

I propose that everyone who isn't sure where a post goes, checks the main forum page. Each forum and subforum has a description underneath its title explaining what kind of posts should go there. If everyone reads those when he or she isn't sure where a post belongs, almost nobody will go wrong.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

You could also create a "Super User" account, that allows the person to move the thread/post if it is deemed necessary. Of course, not everyone gets it, and they don't have the same rights as mods, but I think it might help to ease the load somewhat...
                Almost like a "Mod's Pet", if you will
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                  If everyone reads those when he or she isn't sure where a post belongs, almost nobody will go wrong.
                  Then again, if people would read the site rules, we wouldn't have so many stickies to read.

*not trying to be rude...just trying to be funny. *
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                    You could also create a "Super User" account, that allows the person to move the thread/post if it is deemed necessary. Of course, not everyone gets it, and they don't have the same rights as mods, but I think it might help to ease the load somewhat...
                    Almost like a "Mod's Pet", if you will
                    Actually anyone can move a post from one forum to another if they posted it in the wrong place. I've done it myself. More than once.

1. Hit edit on the post you want to move.

2. Select all the text and copy it to your clipboard or a notepad file.

3. Use the edit function to delete the post. Put "posted in the wrong forum" in the reason field so the mods will know why you deleted your post.

4. Open a new thread in the correct forum.

5. Type your title again, paste the text from step 2 in there and hit the post button.

The only time you would need the mods' help is if someone has replied to your post before you get a chance to move it. In that case, deleting your post would also delete all the replies.

Comment

Hi

Just bringing this up again after yet again reading in the threads "... mods please move this if it's in the wrong place" or some such statement.

Is it perhaps likely that people put this there simply because they read others doing it and think it's the appropriate thing to do? Is it a good idea for mods to edit that line out of posts? Would it be a good idea for members to report a post that says this line just for saying that so the mods can remove it before others see it, think it's what you do, and copy it?

Just wondering if that might help reduce the prevalence of it...

Comment

I'm seeing a whole lot of "Mods please move" again, and, frankly, it's driving me up the wall.

Moderation is not done by invitation only. If it's in the wrong place, they will move it, whether you invite them to or not. That, after all, is their job.

It's our job to try and minimize their workload by putting the thread in the correct forum in the first place.

"Mods please move" is not going to automatically get the mods attention (unless they spend time searching for the phrase, and that sounds really boring) that's what the report button is for.

I have noticed that I'm mostly seeing it from new members, so I assume they're copying it from each other, and haven't read this thread, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. If our wonderful moderating team wanted to edit out that phrase, like Raps mentioned, I promise to love you forever and ever.

This has been a public service announcement.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Things go in phases. I've noticed similar types of tales coming about from one sort being posted. It's why we sometimes make sure people know what's needed in public, and why we often leave closed threads undeleted.

I'm a bit loathe to crack down on it, though. I found some tales I'd saved from way back when on my hard drive and I found one where I'd done just that...

Turns out I found this place in October 2003. I spent a bit longer than I wanted in that set of files. Good times. Never knew I had it so entertaining.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                          X