This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We've decided not to pay you this week."

My wife runs and in-home daycare. Most of the parents are good about picking up their kids on time and paying on time, but a couple of weeks ago one of them did something that stunned both of us.

The mother of this one child usually pays us every Monday. Usually the last thing she does when picking the boy up is give us a check.

So a couple of Mondays ago she came by and didn't leave a check. My wife assumed she'd simply forgotten (plausible, she's usually always on time) and we'd get it tomorrow. Tuesday comes, no money.

So on Wednesday when she drops off her child, my wife asked her why she was late on the check. Her response, verbatim, is the title of this thread.

My Wife (MW): <stunned silence> Excuse me?
    Sucky mom (SM) : I'm sorry but finances are extremely tight for us right now and we simply can't afford to pay you this week so we're not going to.
    MW: I would have appreciated you telling me that BEFORE this past Monday so I would have known not to expect a check.
    SM: Sorry. <leaves with kid>

My wife and I were beside ourselves but crunched some numbers and figured we'd be ok with her not paying that week, we'd just need to defer some bills to the next week.

The next Monday rolls around and SM picks up her son and gives my wife a check for $100, only HALF of what she owes.

MW: Excuse me, you owe me $200.
    SM: *scoffs* I WHAT?
    MW: You owe me $200 for last week and the week before.
    SM: I don't owe you anything, I already said I wasn't paying for last week.
    MW: What?
    SM: Are you deaf? I told you last week we were not paying you, this week I am giving you the same $100 I always give you.
    MW: But you owe me $200.
    SM: *scoffs again* You have some nerve trying to get another $100 out of me.
    MW: This is a daycare, not a charity. It costs me money to run this place. I expect to be paid for my services.
    SM: I DID pay you.
    MW: But NOT for both weeks!
    <At this point her kid starts crying>
    SM: Grrr, now look what you've done. I'm only going to say this one more time. I'm paying you $100 this week and next week and the week after that. There will be no extra $100. Not now, not ever and if you value me as a customer, you'll accept that with a smile on your face. <leaves with the kid>

Later that night, my wife called SM and told her not to bother bringing junior back the next day or any day after that as he was no longer welcome at the daycare. She whined and begged and pleaded for him to be allowed to come tomorrow as if she had to find new accommodations it would "terribly inconvenience" her, but my wife said no.

I told her (my wife) later on that she should have said Junior could come back, but only at double the previous rate. However knowing SM, she might have tried to stiff us on that too, so my wife probably did the right thing.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

SM: Grrr, now look what you've done. I'm only going to say this one more time. I'm paying you $100 this week and next week and the week after that. There will be no extra $100. Not now, not ever and if you value me as a customer, you'll accept that with a smile on your face. <leaves with the kid>
    Valued customer my ass ( Your wife did the right thing)

Comment

Wow what nerve! So glad your wife told her where to go.

Comment

Value customer My Ass.

Your wife did the right thing!!!! That cheap mother deserved it because she decided to get an attitude without paying for the daycare.

Comment

I think your wife did the right thing, as she said she isn't a charity. I and loved<read hated> how the SM tried to get out of paying your wife what was owed. Do you guys have a contract stating the terms of payment and such? If not maybe you can write one up to avoid things like this in the future. just my . Also SM said money was tight for her family, she should've worked something out with your wife and not assumed that you guys would eat a week's worth of expenses. You are probably better off without her as if you kept her as a client she might try this mess again.

Comment

I am having trouble understanding this. First of all - $100 for a week of daycare?? How many hours, 2 a day or something, because that is insanely cheap. And second of all, just like you don't insult the receptionist, you don't piss off your babysitter, especially if they are good because you will never find one as good as that again. Heck, I always over-pay my babysitter so I'm running a credit with her, just to stay on her good side. Some weeks she asks me to write a check for what I owe her and make it out to her credit card company - totally fine with me; one week she asked for a money order - I went and did that. Because she takes care of my child and that is worth keeping her happy.

So, while most SC's make me roll my eyes or laugh, this one has me so completely confused...

Comment

Methinks somebody needs the word "extra" explained to her.

Comment

That's like telling the cable company that you won't pay your bill this week cause your finances are tight. You know what happens? They turn off your cable.
                They had a lot of nerve doing what they did. & good for you for sticking to your guns & "firing" them.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Sucky mom (SM) : I'm sorry but finances are extremely tight for us right now.
                  Let me guess, did your employer fail to pay you for one week and said they'll never pay you for that week you worked at all?

It's simply amazing she was so shocked she owed you money for that week. If I were you I'd tack on some interest to that bill.
                  Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                  Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                  Fiancee: What?!
                  Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Good gods, this makes me angry.

Good on your wife for firing her, though.

At $100 a week, though, she should have no trouble finding someone to fill that spot.

Comment

There's no might about it. she would definitely have pulled it again. and again if she got away with it. Because a precedence had been set that your wife would allow it.
                      The only thing I would have done differently is I would have told her right then and there, "I value my GOOD customers. They pay me in full and on time and do not expect me to care for their child for free."

Comment

I agree the right thing was done, but wish the words. "Well since you decided not to pay for last week, we have decided not to take care of your child. You are the weakest link goodbye." had been said not that I would have thought to say that. Just would have been epic.
                        Last edited by Mytical; 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

And now you have an open spot for someone with a kid that will pay the fees promptly...
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

At $100 a week, you won't have trouble finding a new client to replace her that will pay promptly.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

In order to be values as a customer, one must be a customer. Not a thief.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X