Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also why? As the departing employee would have a very tenuous unemployment claim.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Just quit. They don't own you.

Comment

LOL. I worked at a call center that handled defaulted student loans. Most soul sucking three months of my life. Tried handing in a resignation twice only to be told "no, we're not accepting that." So, I called in one day and just failed to ever return. Only time in over twenty years I had ever done something like that.

Comment

I had an employer try that shit with me once. "I won't accept your resignation."

My response was something along the lines of:

"Well, you don't exactly have a choice. I *AM* leaving, whether you accept my resignation or not."

Although I don't think I was quite that polite.

Comment

I was laid off from one of my jobs(spotted computer boxes, back when they had retail stores) about 5 minutes before I had planned to quit. Had my letter of resignation typed up and in my shirt pocket, planned to talk to the store manager when he got in for the afternoon shift. I was kind of surprised when the boss called me in, my first thought was that someone told him I was planning on quitting.

Bit of a surprise when he told me that I was the first of 10 people he was laying off. Think I mighta made him soil himself lightly when I burst out laughing, I think he thought I was going postal. I took the envelope out of my pocket and dropped it in his paper shredder, saying something to the tune of "guess I don't need this anymore"

Comment

So they won't "accept" your resignation, what are they gonna do, fire ya?

PS: In the US at least quitting your job will make it MUCH harder to get unemployment and/or food stamps and such than if you are fired.

Comment

Hey purple. Sorry I'm coming into this so late.

My wife did the same thing as your ops person at one time. This person was well trained but leaving town. (As it turns out, they DID come back and work the location again.)

Big difference is that, even had they not asked "What do you mean?" my wife was ready with an explanation of why the employee would be carried on the books as long as possible and that an extended/indefinite LoA was preferable for everyone to a resignation.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                  they cannot reject someone's resignation..
                  Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  I was curious myself as to how an employer could "refuse to accept" a resignation
                  Depends on the area. OP is in Kiwiland, and I profess no knowledge of the laws there. In the US, At-Will states allow you to leave (or be made to leave) at any time, for any reason, or for NO reason at all, without consequence (save for a lack of UE eligibility in the former case). For others, it's a "check your contract" situation.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Actually, I think I just answered my own question there.
                  Ayyyyup. Pretty much
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

some things are universal- it's actually a human rights issue to prevent someone leaving a job (it came up because historically, a football player's contract never expired, and so a club could prevent a player leaving. A player sued because he was sick and tired of being kept at the club, and the Bosman ruling said it was a human rights violation to keep a footballer at a club for good.

besides, it sounds like OP gave the notice spelt out in their contract- the company can do nothing, since a clause allowing a company t reject notice would be unenforceable.

Comment

Working...
                    X