Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never been happier to see an empty storefront!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit that I've had a similar experience as well. A company had been running in my college town for a while. I needed new work and applied, got the job, attended training, and all of that. I quit after the first day of real work because they lied to me about the hours (10AM - 9PM Monday through Saturday, not the 11AM - 8PM Tuesday through Saturday I was promised) and the actual work (door-to-door vacuum sales, not the customer service phone calls and loading and unloading of vans that I was promised--and the "sales strategies" I was expected to use were also dishonest and manipulative).

Over the next three years, I observed whenever their offices moved. Each time, the new place was smaller and in a less friendly part of town than the last. They eventually disappeared. I was very happy to see that.

Quoth protege View Post
    ...or even if it was slow and there was nothing to do.
    Yep. Had one of those managers, too.

Him: HS, why didn't your department meet sales goals yesterday?
    Me: In the seven hours I was working, we had four customers. That's why.
    Him: That's no excuse. Why didn't you sell to those customers?
    Me: I did.
    Him: Then you should have met sales goals.
    Me: I couldn't. How am I supposed to get $35,000 revenue out of four customers?
    Him: Upsell!

He just couldn't accept that it ever might be impossible to hit the sales goals if there was not enough store traffic. And I don't want to ever meet the salesperson who can get four people to buy $7,000 worth of computer stuff each in one day, especially when only one wanted to buy a computer in the first place (the other three were after software or ink or stuff like that).

Or my favorite...
    Him: HS, if there's time to lean, there's time to clean!
    Me: I dare you to find me something in my department that needs to be cleaned.
    Him: *wanders off, doesn't return for about three hours*

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    I feel your pain on the getting written up for saving a sale.
    Same here. In an inbound call center, I improved my upsell rates on one product line by adding my own introduction to the upsell page. Just an introduction! Something like, "You can also get Product Y and Product Z at a discount if you add them to your order today. Would you be interested in those?" It wasn't on the script, so I got "coached" for that, even when I pointed out that my numbers had gone up significantly and suggested that the script could be changed so everyone could do that. I was told to just read the script. I left.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      I feel your pain on the getting written up for saving a sale. At a reservation call center I worked at I before got written up for bending a very minor rule to save a 40k reservation. The rule I broke: I offered to finish all the preliminary work and call the guest back rather than forcing them to wait on hold for 10 minutes to set up that large of a sale. Yes, I'm so sorry I saved a 40k sale.
      Isn't that great? You save a $40K sale and get reamed for breaking a minor rule.

How much would you have gotten reamed if the sale had been lost because you refused to break rules?

Management really needs to live in the real world instead of whatever cloud they live on now...

Comment

I just figured out that you would have had to get each of those 4 customers to spend $8750 to make your 35,000 sales goal.
        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
        X