This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*twitch*

They could have had their dress modified so that there was no duplicate..but noooo.

(It likely wouldn't be easy or cheap, but good grief!)
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Both easy and cheap, actually.

Get a dress with no or few embellishments. Go to your local fabric-and-notions shop. Select embellishments that suit your personal style.

If you have basic dressmaking skills, embellish it yourself. If not, a family friend with said skills (and a long lead time, prior agreement, and suitable recompense) can do it for you. Or you can pay a dressmaker to apply the embellishment.

An unembellished dress is likely to be .. oh, a hundred dollars less. Possibly or probably more. Adding the embellishment yourself? Twenty dollars, if you get fancy. More if you want Swarovski crystal, of course, or other high-expense embellishments.
      With the basic embellishments and using a dressmaker, could be as little as fifty dollars.

So your total outlay can - not will, but can - be less. Just make sure you have some lead time; and a realistic expectation of how much time&effort it will take.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Be glad it's not prom season. One thing I've heard of (fortunately never seen - or had to clean up after) is that some entitled young women don't want anyone else wearing the same dress to the prom. How do they guard against that happening? Once they've selected a dress, they'll take ALL of that style to the fitting room, set aside the one that fits - and pee on the others. After all, rendering a half-dozen (at least) dresses unsaleable is a small price to pay in order to ensure that no "duplicate" shows up at their prom.
        Some stores I've heard of have a "dress register" to prevent this. This even included the local little shop that did not have an exclusive room and was in fact sharing space with a dancewear store. (which I have never visited)

Luckily we NEVER had this issue: of the 180 students in my year, about 3/4 rocked up to the prom, the girls all had VERY different styles and the cliquey-ness was a little less prevalent...mostly because the "cliquey" bitches dropped out beforehand. (the rest dropped out afterwards...we held our prom mid-year)

I rocked up in a very pretty maxi dress for about $10 from the local fashion outlet. I looked formal and stood out compared to the girls in their $200-$300 cocktail dresses! Plus, I could wear mine again!
        Funnily enough the girl who made the biggest deal over the formal dresses in my year looked HORRIBLE in hers and wound up selling it post-formal. (She was very much big-busted and her dress was backless. It was VERY hard to find backless/strapless bras in ADelaide beyond a DD cup at the time)
        Last edited by fireheart; 01-08-2014, 09:36 AM.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

What's sad is that the same people who toss merchandise on the floor, dirty the shelves, dump half eaten food anywhere but the bin and say, "That's the staff's job!" are the same people standing in a queue whinging about the length of the queue and bitching, "Where are all the staff?"

Actually, they're cleaning up the mess you made earlier, moron, so sadly they can't come on to a till at the moment.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post

And then there was the food. I've seen empty drink cups on shelves before. Disgusting, but not uncommon. Maybe somebody just forgot. But at this place, it looked deliberate. I counted seven in the men's clothing section alone, most of which still had plenty of coffee or soda or whatever still in them.
            Bag of chips spilled under the rack of workout pants? Check.
            Half-eaten hamburger on a shelf that used to hold polo shirts? Check.
            Pile of greasy used napkins stuffed between stacks of jeans? Check.
            And this is why if I'm ever in charge (God forbid), outside food and drink will be banned.

If somebody's in the store with food or drink they brought for someplace else, I guarantee I will find the empty cup or wrapper just left on a shelf someplace. And if it isn't left on a shelf, it will be left in a shopping cart.

Shit, we were filling our truck Christmas Eve and three adults strolled right past us, each clutching a cup of Starbucks coffee. The morning of the 26th, we were setting the doorbuster ad and came across all three empty cups, just left sitting on random shelves.
            And don't get me started on the gum.

An exception would be made for baby bottles; the people who bring those in generally don't forget about them.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              And this is why if I'm ever in charge (God forbid), outside food and drink will be banned.
              Outside food and drink ARE banned at my store, as are pets. Doesn't stop people from bringing them in. And we can't be everywhere at once, and if we told them to leave their stuff behind, we'd be "rude! OMG!!!111!!!eleventy!!!" There's a sign on the front door, but we all know about customers and their Selective Reading Disorder.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
              X