Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I screen anything that I don't recognize on Caller ID, but I've googled a few of the numbers after the fact, and apparently these scammers have tried to call me once or twice.

I'm not a confrontational person (but if you piss me off bad enough, watch out!), so I haven't tried to play with these scammers, but if I ever did decide to, I think I'd pretend to follow their instructions, and claim that I kept getting a "page not found" every time. I'm sure they'd eventually ask if I was connected to the internet, and then I'd tell them, "No, I just moved in here, and I haven't ordered internet service yet. Is that a problem?"
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
      I used to keep a book beside the phone and begin reading it at them. You see, they're not supposed to hang up unless they get caught out as scammers etc. But sadly the furthest I ever got was four pages in before they hung up. *sad sigh*

On the up side, since moving to a house without a landline phone, I haven't had a single call!
      What you should do is keep a book there specifically for this. Read as far as you can before they hang up, but once they do stop. Then when you get another call, pick up where you left off. See if you can finish an entire book in this way.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

My response is usually, "Please hold while I get him"

Then I place the phone right next to the TV and put the hard rock channel on.

LOUDLY.

They've usually gone when "he" picks up the phone.

Comment

I let them talk me through the process...open window...click...etc...what do you see... I've got the page up... It's a warning about scammers-that someone will call you pretending to be from Microsoft.Do not give them your details.Contact the police...is this the site you were leading me to?
          That normally shuts'em up
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

A friend of mine fell for this last week. Which is strange, considering that just before christmas, he got the same call and told them to f-off.

Anyway, he gets about 1 hour in to it with them, has granted them remote administrative access, and then decides to call me to ask about it. I nearly fell down laughing when I heard him start ripping in to them after I told him that it was a scam and to hang up on them. I think it was combination of all SCs on this site combined.

Unfortunately, by the time he'd called me, the damage had been done, and they had locked him out of his computer. Thankfully, being XP, a repair install, with a CLI command quickly restored access.

I don't think he'll be falling for that one again.
            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

When I first got the call I was suspicious, but strung them along until I looked up what this was about. (Funny how useful google could be.)

Once I figured it out, I started grilling them about /which/ computer it was (we have a desktop, four laptops, and a tablet which run Windows in the house), claiming I was writing down their instructions to do on the other computers, and then the conversation went a lot like this:

Him: Now do [this.]
              Me: Done.
              Him: Do you see [this?]
              Me: Nope.
              Him: Why not?
              Me: I didn't do it.

If you look up scammers under Not Always Working they have tons of people trolling these guys.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                I used to keep a book beside the phone and begin reading it at them. You see, they're not supposed to hang up unless they get caught out as scammers etc. But sadly the furthest I ever got was four pages in before they hung up. *sad sigh*

On the up side, since moving to a house without a landline phone, I haven't had a single call!
                Hee hee, so you fillibuster them! You should be a Senator or go into Parliment or whatever your country has!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  What you should do is keep a book there specifically for this. Read as far as you can before they hang up, but once they do stop. Then when you get another call, pick up where you left off. See if you can finish an entire book in this way.
                  Ooh, what a good idea! I was getting sick of the start of Tale of Two Cities anyway...

Quoth Estil View Post
                  Hee hee, so you fillibuster them! You should be a Senator or go into Parliment or whatever your country has!
                  *lol* Yup! It's fun listening to them try to interrupt. But when I get a roll, it's very hard to stop me...
                  "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I've had them call twice but both times I've been in the middle of bathing the kids or putting them to bed and have hung up.
                    My father and one of my uncles however are having a competition to see who can keep them on the phone the longest.
                    Dad is currently winning with 40 minutes though my uncle has received bonus points for getting the caller to swear when they realise that they've been busted.

Seem to recall a news story from a few years back where the person getting the call said they were busy and asked for a number to call them back on and they gave them one
                    They passed it on to the cops who were able to get the address from the phone company (it was a domestic number, not international) and make an arrest.
                    I'll have to see if I can track down the article online
                    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

We used to get these calls at least once a week. Ugh.

The annoyance factor of the calls on their own was bad enough, but some of them would get abusive and swear at us when we called them out, and a couple even rang back to tell us off for being rude to them by hanging up when they were abusing us.

The last call was several months ago. Mum took the call, and handed it to me.

I asked for the caller's name, her supervisor's name, the number they were calling from and their company. I told her I knew it was a scam and that I was reporting it to several Government authorities, which I named.

She couldn't hang up quick enough... and I haven't had a call from them since.

Comment

I've gotten calls that I suspect were scammers, but I didn't answer them. I might do that now and have a bit of fun when I'm bored. I've got a dictionary and I can access Urban Dictionary... might as well give 'em a broad education.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

LOL, I got one of these calls yesterday. The funniest part, is my Uncle is retired FBI and happened to be over. I just handed him the phone.

Comment

I feel ignored now. I've never gotten any of those calls. They don't seem to call my area code or something for some reason.

Then again we used to get the Fog Horn "You have won a vacation!" calls, along with the "Important credit card information" automated ones. Those made me unplug my landline for good a couple years ago and now I only go by my cell phone.

Comment

Got one last night. Told him I was with the FBI and we were tracing the call. He couldn't hang up fast enough.

The funny thing is - they're getting smart. They're actually using a real Microsoft contact number (or at least a recording from Microsoft) for the called ID. I was talking to a friend of mine about this and somehow they're managing to spoof the Microsoft contact phone number. I'm not sure how they do that but unfortunately it adds an air of legitimacy to their crap.

I'll have to email my friend in the FBI and see if they can actually do anything or not.

Comment

What I don't understand is the persistent attempts. Look, I've call out your BS once so why do you keep calling up? For the fun of it?

Comment

Working...
                                X