This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me cheer up?

I don't know if I put this in the right spot, but I want your stupid driving stories if you have any. I stupidly sped too fast into a curve and rolled my car this morning. I am fine but my emotional state as well as my mind took a big hit and now I think I am the stupidest person alive.
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

The two questions in my own head were posed to my own father after he rolled his VW bus, doing the same maneuvers that he'd normally have great fun with in his little (low-built) convertible: Are you okay? Did you learn anything?

If you can answer yes to both, then you are far from the stupidest one alive.

Comment

Quoth darkroxas45 View Post
      now I think I am the stupidest person alive.
      It is better than being the stupidest person dead. Count your blessings. The price for this lesson could have been much higher.

I have too many stupid driving stories to list, and my luck has been better then yours (I have never gone wheels up). I probably should have totaled more cars than I have and I have never left an accident scene in an ambulance.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Then there's that classic Fraternity of Man track, "Don't Bogart That Joint"

... roll another one ...

... I looked over at my daughter hanging in her seat belts and we checked her baby in his carrier ...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Not a stupid story as such, just held some amusement at the time...

On my way to work, taking some backroads to shave a few seconds off the travel time 'cause it's 0-Dark-30 and nobody's around. Still, it's very urban so I'm not being silly. Unfortunately due to not pausing quite long enough before pulling out of a junction I end up seeing another car approaching me almost head-on with parked cars on either side except right next to me. I'd only just pulled out so I stomp the brakes and the other guy's able to swerve into the gap to avoid the brunt of the collision, but the front of my car gets shunted sideways a few inches compared to the rest of the frame and he's got a my-grill-shaped gouge down the offside of his vehicle.

Having had a couple of occasions where "interesting" things have happened to me during the day and my now-ex had gotten a little pissed that I'd not told her (despite her not being able to make any difference to what had happened and me not wanting to give her unnecessary stress,) I make sure to text her and let her know what's happened.
          Good morning. I'm gonna be a little late to work, I've just had a small accident in the car. I'm fine, no-one's hurt, and the police are already on the scene... Because it was a police car I hit. Talk to you later x
          Yeah, that was a fun morning. Car was a write-off, but surprisingly I suffered no legal ramifications, almost certainly because while I was emerging, for them to appear where they did as soon as they did and cause as much damage in the impact as they had, they were most definitely not sticking to the posted limit, nor did they have their lights on as they were not responding to a call. (No sirens either, but at that time of day no-one would expect them to be using sirens on sidestreets.)

And that was my first serious (read "reportable to the insurers") accident in 15+ years of driving. Well, if you're gonna do it, do it in STYLE!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I drove with an inch thick of ice on the road...ended up in a ditch. If driving with that much ice on the road is not dumb..I don't know what is.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Driving stories? Why yes, I have a few stories from the years I spent as a truck driver.

Quoth Mytical View Post
              I drove with an inch thick of ice on the road...ended up in a ditch. If driving with that much ice on the road is not dumb..I don't know what is.
              I drove all night one time through freezing rain. When I got where I was going, there was a layer of ice almost two inches thick over the entire truck. Road conditions were ice over packed snow, and this is ON the interstate. Lanes were largely a matter of opinion.
              Last edited by Kittish; 10-18-2018, 07:04 AM.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My sister posted on Facebook almost a month ago that someone had turned over a cement mixer and blocked one of the busiest motorways in her area. 'Huh,' I thought, 'bet that's the company her OH works for. Wonder which one of his idiot coworkers did that?'
                Read down the comments:- the idiot was Sister's OH! Luckily he got away with only minor cuts and bruises, and the cement mixer was empty, but he shut the motorway for something like 7 hours!

Comment

At least I assume you were in a normal passenger vehicle... A while ago a semi with a load of glass overturned on an onramp, and everything slide blocking all lanes.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

All stories of my own stupidity.

Decades ago, it was early spring or late winter I think. Roads were greasy but not too bad, and it was morning. I was driving my sister into town to pick up something and we were chatting as we were going down a hill. I think I was ribbing her about something she'd done while driving, and I tapped the brakes while going down a steep hill next to some farms. Karma was in full effect, and of course the tapping put us into a spin and we went ass first into the ditch at the bottom of the hill. No damage to the car, and we got it pulled out but damn that was embarassing.

Another time, I was driving alone in the car following my dad so we could drop the car off for service. They were twinning the TransCanada highway along the stretch we were going, so it was 2 lane highway with construction of the other lanes going on next to it. It was later in the evening, so traffic was light. We came onto the highway, and I saw dad swerve. A second later, I saw why he swerved; a chunk of a blown transport tire on the road. I swerved as well, but overcorrected and spun the car a full 180, facing the opposite direction (in the opposite lane). What was a bit scary was that it was basically under an overpass, so it was scarily close to the bridge supports too.

A long long long time ago, when I was first learning to drive. Dad had an old Nissan truck we called the puddle jumper because that's about all it could do. It was standard (mom's cars were automatic) that was really rough shifting. And dad was determined to teach me to drive it. (Mom could barely drive it, and I had little better luck). This truck had Auto-nothing. No power steering, or anything. Our driveway is slanted up, and we have trees all around the lot, including next to the ends of the driveway. One day I was driving the truck and I turned into the driveway but majorly oversteered (no power steering so you had to crank the wheel) while doing whatever shifting I had to do. Ended up doing a tight U-turn at the end of the driveway and CRUNCH right into a tree there. (Years later my sister managed to hit the same tree with the same truck. Years after that, we finally had the tree taken down. )

Late 90's, my family was driving me back to UWaterloo for my new school term. We were doing the marathon drive from New Brunswick to Waterloo in one stretch overnight. I was driving when we hit Toronto at 5 in the morning in August I think. So traffic wasn't all that bad. I was going with traffic and noticed a motorbike weaving past me. A few cars ahead after it passed, I saw a shower of sparks as he wiped out. Had to swerve away/around him and avoided hitting anything thank goodness. We didn't stop (though we probably should have) so I don't know how they did. I think they (may have been 2 riders) were properly dressed so they may have escaped with roadrash; I don't think anyone hit them.

Final story, a about 10 years ago we were doing a long drive from New Brunswick to Chatham Ontario for my cousin's wedding. Like above, we were doing the overnight marathon to do it in one day. I think we were later starting so we got through Montreal in the early morning. I was driving, and stupidly pushing myself further than I intended. I knew there was a truckstop just on the Ontario side of the border, so though I was tired, I kept pushing. Next thing I noticed, I heard a rumble, and then our car was mowing the lawn in the median. No damage and woke me enough to adrenaline drive to that truckstop, but damn it shook me up. (And I'm really glad it happened where it did where the median was grassy, and not in other areas where there are barricades, rocks or valleys instead).

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                      Next thing I noticed, I heard a rumble, and then our car was mowing the lawn in the median.
                      Damn... I've done that "blink and find yourself on the car in front's bumper" trick, it's amazing how it clears your head isn't it?
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                        (And I'm really glad it happened where it did where the median was grassy, and not in other areas where there are barricades, rocks or valleys instead).
                        ...yeah, because trust me, it's really fun when you're driving tired and there IS a median there.

(I had issues keeping the driver's side front tire inflated for a while after that... it seems it's difficult for the tire to maintain a seal when you bend the crap out of the rim.)
                        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Oh, one I encountered very shortly after it happened. Long desert road with minimal crosstraffic, so there's lots of throttle used generally. Well, this one idiot, hopped up on meth, most likely, was going some ridiculous speed, even for that road when he... turned left? He skipped his truck out through the boulder strewn desert, took a chunk out of a power pole, skipped through more rocks and... didn't flip the truck or more amazingly, die.
                          I did some rough mental math and figured that if he had been going a bit slower, the pole wouldn't have shattered out of the way, and him and truck would have stopped right there, with rather messier results.

Comment

Started out for work one morning and it was icy to the point of treacherous. I knew once I got to the major roads, they'd have been gritted, but I had several miles of country lanes before I got to those. So I was going gingerly because I'd rather arrive late one day than be late full stop.
                            Well, this didn't suit a man in a Merc behind me. As I came round a corner, he accelerated to get past me - and he had just got in front of me when he lost it. Oh boy did he lose it. The car twerked crazily, hit the grass verge at the side of the road, went up into the air and tilted sideways, so much that I seriously thought it was going to flip - but it came down the right way up.

However - it didn't come down on the road, it came down across the verge, so that the driver side wheels were on the road and the passenger side were hanging over the ditch that ran along the other side of the verge. And there it finally stopped.

I stopped too, as did a couple of other cars that had also been following me, and the man was getting out of his car shouting 'Bloody ice!' etc (and I thought, well if you knew it was icy, why did you...?) I expected to have to wait in case a witness was needed, but as luck would have it an off-duty copper was approaching from the opposite direction and had seen it all.
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I made the morning traffic report once.

Morning peak. Speed limit = 80km, but doing between 50-60km with the traffic. 2 lanes about to open out to 5 (one turning left into a house estate, 3 going straight, one doing a u-turn) with traffic lights that are still green. After traffic lights the 3 going straight lanes open up to 1 turning left onto Major Freeway outbound, 3 going straight under Major Freeway and 2 turning right onto Major Freeway city bound. (Hopefully that paints a picture.)

I am in the left lane about to move into the just starting, but still going straight, left lane. (There are only 2 lanes at this point.) We are all doing about 60kms because the light is green and it's the tail end of peak. Well, I was doing about 60kms, until the woman in the red car in front of me slams on the brakes and stops dead. I hit my brakes and keep them hit so far down that I have white smoke coming from my tyres/front end. I slam into her and partially bounce back on an angle into the right lane. Less than 1 second later, woman behind me slams into me and pushes my car back into front car.

Car next to me just missed being hit by me and car behind them was a 4wd and ended up half up the gutter into the grass median. Car behind the woman behind me was actually a tow truck and he saw what was happening and managed to stop in time.

We all managed to get our cars through the traffic lights and off to the side and onto grass. That is where I went into shock.

The first words out of the mouth of the first woman was 'I was so confused and lost and I didn't know which way I had to go onto Major Freeway.'

Tow Truck Driver and 4wd Driver were freaking fantastic. They both were witnesses for me and 3rd woman. All insurance blame was put onto first woman. 4wd Driver stayed with me while the Tow Truck Driver got everyone's insurance info together.

Damage done:
                              1st car (family sized car) = extensive boot damage, but was drivable.
                              My car (Holden Nova sedan which was a Toyota Corolla with a different badge. My first baby ) = repairable write off, but I just took the money. Everything under the bonnet was pushed back several inches. Engine was holding on with only one bolt, the others were sheered (sp?) off. Tyres had bald spots and brakes were damaged from locking up. Dad said something about the steering or axel was broken too. The dash broke all it's clips and was floating loose. In the back, my boot had a triangle impression from the other car hitting on the angle and my full sized spare tyre dinted my petrol tank. Possibly more, but I couldn't face reading the report.
                              3rd car (small 4 door, possibly a hatch) = not 100% on all the damage, but I know she had to have it towed from the scene. Radiator was destroyed and front end was pretty crumpled. I wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders (sorry couldn't resist ) and didn't want to look closely at my damage let alone hers. (She lived a few streets away and dad stopped by later that day just to make sure she was ok and to let her know I was ok. My dad worked with her dad before either of us were even a twinkle in their eyes.)

All of us walked away with only a few aches and pains, mainly myself and 3rd woman. I had shock, mild whiplash, a small seatbelt bruise and minor muscle damage in the right shoulder from seatbelt/seat impact. I bounced forward and back so hard in my seat, it moved my shoulder blade oh so slightly out of place. Chiro visit 2 weeks later and it was fine.
                              3rd woman had whiplash and some bruising. Neither of us gave a fuck about 1st woman.

The most terrifying part was what the insurance assessor told my dad when he took the car in. 'If your daughter was driving a hatch back, she might not be here. The force would have put the 3rd car in her back seat at the minimum.'
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                              X