This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men V. Women - Who is correct?

An English professor wrote the words, "Woman without her man is nothing" on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

The women wrote: "Woman - without her, man is nothing."
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Actually, I had this question on an English test once-asking for both ways of puncuating it. I don't mean to brag, but I got a 2/2 on it. Half of the class didn't even understand the question.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Well, grammatically, they are both right, but the one the woman created would be a false statement.

*Starts running*
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

That's a little like the single-question final exam:
        "Why?"

Accepted responses:
        "Because" (B)
        "Why not?" (A)
        Anyone who does not answer one of the above, fails.
        "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Woman, without her man, is happy?
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
            Actually, I had this question on an English test once-asking for both ways of puncuating it. I don't mean to brag, but I got a 2/2 on it. Half of the class didn't even understand the question.
            Half the class probably didn't understand GRAMMAR.

Nowadays, it seems like that is a big problem in general.

Comment

Sadly, a lot of people now either think that grammar is grandpaw's wife. Either that, or they enrage me by spelling it "grammer".
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                Half the class probably didn't understand GRAMMAR.

Nowadays, it seems like that is a big problem in general.

Oh, don't get me started! I can't even bear to read the local commuter papers because they have so many spelling and grammatical errors in them. No, no, the "Beckham's" aren't moving to L.A. *urge to kill rising*
                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                  Woman, without her man, is happy?
                  As with the second.

"Woman - without her, man is happy."
                  Until he gets horny again."
                  "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                    Well, grammatically, they are both right, but the one the woman created would be a false statement.
                    "What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce." - Mark Twain.
                    Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

The above is grammatically correct.

Explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo...uffalo_buffalo.
                      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                      X