This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    (NOTE: I should point out that Webtender also lists the Shirley Temple as "non-alcoholic" cocktail, containing ginger ale and grenadine, thus indicating that grenadine is by definition non-alcoholic. Though of course there can be alcoholic versions of it.)
    We obviously need a new rule:

If it is liquid, there is an alcoholic version of it.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That is hardly a new rule. Hell, that is a very OLD rule.

Hell, one of the very first phrases for whiskey was "aqua vitae," or "water of life."

And I certainly have gone about trying alcohol in many, MANY forms.

Oddly enough, there is one thing I have never done, which not only surprises a lot of people, but kind of surprises me.

I have been drinking Gatorade since I was about 17 or 18. For those keeping score, I'm 41, so that's well over 20 years. And I've always thought that it would make a great mixer for a drink. Most people think it would go great with vodka. Not being a vodka fan, I always thought of it more as a rum receptacle.

And yet, despite being a 1-2 quart a day drinker of Gatorade (sometimes more), and despite being the Rum Guy at a rum bar, and despite being a regular drinker of alcohol AND a mixologist...I have never, ever, EVER made a cocktail using Gatorade. Not a single time. Not for myself, and not for anyone else. Nor have I ever DRANK a cocktail involving Gatorade that someone else made.

Kinda weird, huh?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        We obviously need a new rule:

If it is liquid, there is an alcoholic version of it.
        This sounds very similar to Rule 34.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Which is weird to me, because my whole life, I was led to believe, both as a child drinking them and later a bartender making them, that Shirley Temples were SPRITE with grenadine.
          When I had them as a kid, they were 7UP (or Bubble Up) with mystery pinkish juice-like stuff. And a maraschino cherry (so I always thought they just used juice from the jar of cherries) And if I was really lucky, a little glass animal perched on the rim of the glass
          Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
          At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

If it makes you feel better, Jester, I have friends who are convinced that Shirley Temples are lemon-lime soda and strawberry syrup. They are very confused... so I don't let them play bartender. Honestly, I think the drink has devolved to "white-ish soda and pink stuff".
            EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
            ~-~
            Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              And yet, despite being a 1-2 quart a day drinker of Gatorade (sometimes more), and despite being the Rum Guy at a rum bar, and despite being a regular drinker of alcohol AND a mixologist...I have never, ever, EVER made a cocktail using Gatorade. Not a single time. Not for myself, and not for anyone else. Nor have I ever DRANK a cocktail involving Gatorade that someone else made.
              My aunt texted me about the wonders that was Grape vodka and Grape Gatorade.... the next morning she texted me asking who took the grape sandpaper to her tongue.....

I would think a fruit punch Gatorade would mix decently enough with rum....
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                This is Key West, not Miami. We were shorts and sandals, and "Key West formal" is considered nice sandals and shorts. We refer to plastic cups as "Key West crystal." Etc., etc. We are laidback island that is more about substance than style, about weirdness than what's hip. Chic? Right state, wrong town. South Beach we ain't.
                Oh Key West I will be visitng there in June may have to try and find your bar just to have a drink. I promise to behave and play nice
                Lay your hands upon me
                Like an angel from above
                Put your arms around me,
                'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

I don't give the Italian guy a pass for not leaving a tip, even if it isn't the custom in Europe. If you can't bother to learn the local customs of a place you're visiting and follow them, stay home!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    This sounds very similar to Rule 34.
                    And there is a good reason for that. I copied it and changed it slightly.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

For reference: The alcoholic version of Grenadine is Maraschino. Though it doesn't have colour. It's tasty stuff, if hard to find.

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
                        When I had them as a kid, they were 7UP (or Bubble Up) with mystery pinkish juice-like stuff. And a maraschino cherry (so I always thought they just used juice from the jar of cherries) And if I was really lucky, a little glass animal perched on the rim of the glass
                        Sprite, 7-Up, Ginger Ale, Sierra Mist if you are really unlucky, etc.

And while it is normally grenadine, cherry juice (i.e., the liquid that maraschino cherries are in) can also be used in pinch. And for kids, yes, a maraschino cherry.

I liked these so much as a kid that my parents actually bought a bottle of grenadine for use at home. I think I was the only kid on my block that had his own bar mixer in the pantry!

Quoth Treasure View Post
                        My aunt texted me about the wonders that was Grape vodka and Grape Gatorade.... the next morning she texted me asking who took the grape sandpaper to her tongue.....

I would think a fruit punch Gatorade would mix decently enough with rum....
                        Since I don't care for vodka OR Grape Gatorade all that much, I will take your aunt's word on all of that.

As for mixes, I think that any Gatorade would mix well, and have had ideas for all of my favorite flavors, including Fierce Melon, Fruit Punch, Citrus Cooler, and the sadly discontinued Lime Ice.

Quoth celticgrl View Post
                        Oh Key West I will be visitng there in June may have to try and find your bar just to have a drink. I promise to behave and play nice
                        I do hope that you will be here at some point in June that is not June 6-11, as I will be in Houston those days.

If that is the case, you won't have to try to find the bar...you can just PM me and I will tell you where/how to find me, both at the bar and socially. I am a heck of a tour guide/party guide. just saying.

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                        I don't give the Italian guy a pass for not leaving a tip, even if it isn't the custom in Europe. If you can't bother to learn the local customs of a place you're visiting and follow them, stay home!
                        I don't give him a pass per se, but I do think the more egregious crime in that was not the non-tipping, which is fairly common with Europeans in this town, but the attempt to pay me less than the actual bill. And for the ridiculous, stupid, and lazy reason that the fucker didn't want to break another ten dollar bill.

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                        For reference: The alcoholic version of Grenadine is Maraschino. Though it doesn't have colour. It's tasty stuff, if hard to find.
                        I have heard of maraschino liqueur, as it is called for in a few drink recipes that I have seen, but I have never actually seen it in person.

Though I don't know if it is technically the alcoholic version of grenadine since grenadine is technically sweetened pomegranate juice.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I liked these so much as a kid that my parents actually bought a bottle of grenadine for use at home. I think I was the only kid on my block that had his own bar mixer in the pantry!
                          So, this is where it all began!
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                            This sounds WONDERFUL!!!! I shall have to try to find it . . .

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I have heard of maraschino liqueur, as it is called for in a few drink recipes that I have seen, but I have never actually seen it in person.

Though I don't know if it is technically the alcoholic version of grenadine since grenadine is technically sweetened pomegranate juice.
                              True. However the flavour is similar (though with a bit more of an almond note), and it can be used for the same sorts of drinks. Without having that awful artificial flavour of Rose's.

Quoth morgana View Post
                              This sounds WONDERFUL!!!! I shall have to try to find it . . .
                              Honestly, the only place I've seen it is at my store. However, depending on your state distributors, it may be available for special order through your local specialty liquor store.

Comment

I don't drink all that often. Just my personal decision. If I am drinking, it's because I'm either on vacation or have had a REALLY bad day. There are occasional exceptions to this.

One random mixed drink I had recently was one my Mom actually wondered about recently. Cream soda and vanilla vodka.

It tasted kinda medicinal, but it wasn't bad.

My friends and I are tempted to get the "DIY Juice to Alcohol Kit" and give it a try with something. (Probably something purple, a la "the purple stuff" from the old Sunny D commercials.)
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X