This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm your costumer, not your girlfriend

I was just reminded of this story! I have no idea why I didn't share it here when it happened, but I'm pretty sure I haven't. (Edit: Okay, actually I did mention it once before. Fail me! Oh well. I share it again.)

Anyway. A couple of years ago I was hired by a guy to make him a fursuit. He gave me a deadline, and I gave him an initial completion estimate that was actually a month or two before said deadline, so everything looked great.

But, as sometimes happens, life turned up and things got delayed. I was still on track for his deadline, but told him I was not going to make the initial estimate, it was going to be later than that. Normally this kind of thing goes fine, but this guy started to get antsy. He stalked my project list, and e-mailed me every time I updated it. He IMed me pretty regularly, asking for progress reports, and when I finally did start in on his costume, and I thought he might back off, he actually got even more stalker-ish and was constantly on my back about when it would be done.

Now it so happened that in addition to life issues causing delays, I also had some life issues causing me to be broke. The costume I was working on for this impatient fellow still had a lot of work left to do on it, so no matter how quickly I finished it, I wouldn't get the money in time to take care of the bills I had right then and there. So I put up a little advertisement for a handful of really small rush commissions, (things like a tail or a pair of ears) that I would finish in a single day and mail out immediately, so I could have some immediate cash.

And this guy sent me a long, rambling, ranty e-mail about how he was "hurt" (that's literally the word he used) that I would take on these other projects when his wasn't done yet, and if I needed money so badly I should be working all day every day on his project, so that I could get the final payment he owed me.

Hurt. Because I was taking other customers and was going to delay his project ONE DAY when he'd already waited six months. One. Freaking. Day. And getting his suit done and getting his money in 14 days rather than in 15 days wasn't going to help me with the bills that need paying TODAY!!!

Gah.

I still am kind of pissed at the guy. As if he had some right to dictate who else I'd do business with, just because he was a customer! As if anything at all about how I choose to do my work is any of his business so long as I met the deadline I agreed on with him, which I DID!

And also frankly he was really starting to creep me out. I was very glad when I did finish and was able to mail his project off, lemme tell you!
    Last edited by spark; 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Good lord, the nerve of him! D:

So did you just basically tell him to chill out, you need to pay stuff now? Or did you just ignore him?
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Too many people just don't get it. Artists have bills to pay too.

The scary thing is I have a feeling I know who you are talking about.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
        Good lord, the nerve of him! D:

So did you just basically tell him to chill out, you need to pay stuff now? Or did you just ignore him?
        Pretty much. I explained I needed money now and it was only going to delay his project by one day. He clammed up for a little bit after that.
        The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Wow, what a dork! How dare you "cheat" on him with other customers
          It's not like you're trying to run a business here or something!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Just tell him he needs to be a better sugar daddy...

Comment

Spark..due to my confused mental state..I read the title as "I am your customer, not your girlfriend"...until just now (ie from the time it was first posted to just a few minutes ago). Sorry about that.

I make a good target for eggs if that will make up for things.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Actually, Mytical, I thought she had misspelled customer, until you pointed this out.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  Actually, Mytical, I thought she had misspelled customer, until you pointed this out.

SC
                  You know, so did I, and it didn't even dawn on me that it sounded strange that way.

Man, it's been a week.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Too many customers think they are 'spechul', or should be the center of somebody's world. Good thing Spark is just awesome and can handle them with class.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

SC
                      I had to correct myself too. Mainly because I see Costumer written far too often by people meaning Customer!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                        I had to correct myself too. Mainly because I see Costumer written far too often by people meaning Customer!
                        Easy enough mistake to make, especially if you're like me and skimming through the titles b/c you have a case of "mouse finger."
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This thread has taught me one thing:

The Costumer is always right.

Comment

This is why I don't muck about with my estimates.

If a customer says that he needs it done by X date and I can have it done earlier than that...I don't tell them.

Until I get it done early and send it to them.

If they want the same thing done in the same amount of time I tell them that I can not guarantee that I'll be done as quickly a second time. Life, other jobs, snafu's in the job itself mean that I can guarantee X date. If it gets done sooner then I'll have it back sooner.
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                              This thread has taught me one thing:

The Costumer is always right.
                              Booooo! Bad pun!

*throws tomatoes*
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X