Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a SC without even having a job...

So I was in the store today, getting some stuff together, and I was standing in the baking aisle looking at the different flours. Some lady wanders up beside me and makes small talk.

SC Lady: Wow, there are so many different kinds.
    Me: Oh, yeah. I was amazed in culinary school at all the different sorts we had to learn.

...it was like I'd just told her I could spin straw into gold.

SC Lady: OH! You went to culinary school!
    Me: (still thinking we're making small talk) Oh, yeah, I graduated last year, it was really a fun class to be in.
    SC Lady: That's great! I've been needing to find a chef to hire for a party I'm throwing next month! You've got the job!

Uh.

Me: Um, well, thank you but I can't-
    SC Lady: See, I'm wanting to do a sort of Japanese steakhouse thing, where the chef does the food right there at the table, it's for my book club, we have little get togethers every month and I really wanted to impress them, so you can do whatever food you want, but I want it done right on the table.
    Me: Well, ma'am, I'm not really able to-
    SC Lady: I'd really like to do courses and everything too, I can get someone else to do the plates and be like the busboy, so all you'll have to do is the cooking.
    Me: It sounds fun, but I can't take the-
    SC Lady: And you know what'll be really fun! *something something something French cuisine something something book about France*
    Me: Okay, but ma'am I don't think I'd be able to do this, you should-
    SC Lady: *something something Gladys will be so jealous something old bats something something motor mouth*
    Me: Ma'am, I'm not taking the job-
    SC Lady: *LOUDER AND FASTER GIDDY EXCITEMENT*
    Me: *whimpering in abject fear by this point* Ma'am, I don't think you're hearing me...
    SC Lady: Okay, so get in touch with me, here's my number *hands me a business card* and I'll get you all the details! I can't wait to start planning!
    Me: *doing best Fluttershy impression* Um, ma'am I really can't-
    SC Lady: You can call me any time between 5 and 8 in the evening! Just let me know what to buy for the menu.
    Me: I...I don't know how to make you understand...
    SC Lady: Well, I need to run, just give me a call! *zooms off*
    Me: *standing in aisle, holding business card, terrified*

So...uh...what do I do now?
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Be confused?

Comment

Drop the card in the trash, be done with it. It's her fault for assuming you were hired when she hasn't given you a red cent. No money down = no job and absolutely no obligation of ANY sort on your part.
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        Drop the card in the trash, be done with it. It's her fault for assuming you were hired when she hasn't given you a red cent. No money down = no job and absolutely no obligation of ANY sort on your part.
        This. She didn't discuss payment options with you, she glomped onto you without even seeing if you were interested, didn't let you get a word in edgewise, you don't owe her a brass farthing.
        Last edited by firecat88; 03-23-2012, 02:55 AM.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Or frame it as a reminder of how people can jump head first into the shallow end of the pool without checking the depth first.

And honestly, you don't owe her a thing. It's not your fault she could hear past her own yammering mouth and assumptions.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
            Try to leave a message (voicemail, text, email etc) in a manner that can't be traced back to you specifically stating without a shadow of a doubt that you can't take the job.

Maybe mention "parole violations" or something
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
              Try to leave a message (voicemail, text, email etc) in a manner that can't be traced back to you specifically stating without a shadow of a doubt that you can't take the job.

Maybe mention "parole violations" or something
              Nah, you want to make sure shes offended by you.
              Last edited by barainga; 03-23-2012, 03:20 AM. Reason: edited to avoid fratching potential

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                I can think of two reactions.

1. Toss the card, as others have suggested.

2. Quote a very high price for your services, plus expenses, that will make it worth your effort, even if you did skip the section on Japanese cooking. Don't forget to triple whatever price you come up with first, then double it. Payment in advance, of course, and non-refundable.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Looks like SOMEPONY needs more Iron Will Assertiveness training ;D

Comment

I like business cards. I use them all the time and I always say thank you when someone gives me one. I won't accept the ones that are plastic and bendy, though.

I cut them in quarters, punch holes in the corner and use them for plant tags.

Comment

I'd call the number on the card from a pay phone (if you can find one), and say "I'm not taking the job." Then I'd hang up.

SC
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Ok, you have two choices, as mentioned by others -

1. somehow manage to leave an untraceable anonymous message telling her "hell no, not taking the job" (it has to be a message, she won't let you get a word in edgewise if you actually try to talk to her).

OR

2. toss the car & ignore her.

Which one you do depends on one thing - how do you feel about the manager of the store you met her in?
                        Cause you know that if you choose #2, she's going to be calling up the manager of that store and screaming & yelling at them cause some random customer in their store hasn't called her back to set up her party

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Under no circumstances take the job! She will ride straight over you again.
                          If she has no way to find you again, toss the card and forget it. Otherwise you might get your father to call for you

Comment

That's bizarre. I personally wouldn't do anything with it. I've got enough crazy to deal with that I'm not paid for.

Comment

What the...

I will just blink confused at how the woman just assumed, echo the advice given above, and the back away from the crazy...
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X