Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If English Were Phonetically Consistent?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If English Were Phonetically Consistent?

I found this video very interesting! It makes me wonder if at some point English used to actually sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zWWp0akUU
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Suddenly so may accents from non native english speakers makes sense.... And it's our fault they sound like they do. Somehow that is not a surprise.

Comment

Found a further consideration of this topic, check out The Tough Coughs as he Ploughs the Dough: Early Writings and Cartoons by Dr. Seuss.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I always loved The Chaos. Hit the YT link in there to hear it all pronounced
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          It makes me wonder if at some point English used to actually sound like this...
          Well, at one point it did indeed sound like this:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVG77xTPH6E
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X