No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our governor announced a "stay-home order" effective Wednesday. It's essentially a 2-week extension of the shutdown we've already had in place, except that it's now affecting all non-essential businesses and social or spiritual gatherings.

He made it clear several times in the speech that grocery stores were staying open. I still fielded multiple phone calls tonight from people asking if we were closing for 2 weeks, though.

Comment

• Did manage to snag a Walmart delivery slot (over 36 hours out, but that's actually not TOO far from normal for them), but I cannot buy more than 2 of ANY grocery item, even things like V8 Energy or energy shots, that I would not have expected the locusts to swarm over and hoard.
      Last edited by Seanette; 03-24-2020, 08:00 AM.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Energy shots? I guess they wanna be able to make sure we'll have plenty quarantine babies nine months from now

Here -- The county has finally done what the City already did, and imposed a curfew and formal regs with regards to what may and may not remain open. The state itself is still lagging in that regard. Meanwhile, the local Board of Supervisors is playing politics and trying to get one of their own ousted so one of them can install a buddy in that easy-money job.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• The boom has dropped for me. I am now working from home, regardless of whether my wifi dies on me.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Our governor has announced that all nonessential businesses are shut down from noon today until noon on April 7. Not a total lockdown, but it should help. Although the list of what's considered essential seems pretty broad...

I was able to get to the computer store yesterday to pick up an online parts order. Saw a few people walking out with tons of 3D-printer filament, they're probably part of the effort to print medical parts. They had instituted a waitlist to get into the store and I think pre-orders were prioritized, which was good. I don't think they were letting people wander and shop, as the manager outside was quizzing people why they had come.

I'm gonna see if I can build a Minecraft server for our building.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Our governor postponed ordering a "shelter in place." But he did order a halt to foreclosures and evictions. That will affect my job more than a shelter in place would. But only for one particular non-customer we're dealing with. I should tell that story separately.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• The horrifying thing to me about the panic buying and empty shelves is that I expect in2-3 months most of the idiots will just trash all the masks and TP and green bread.

"I'm tired of all that shit stacked all over the house!"
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Governor is issuing a stay at home order later today. AFAIK I'm still working.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• My state shut down too, but because my store is considered 'essential', it's going to remain open. Even if an employee tested positive for COVID 19, they'd still keep the store open. How do I know? Because this is exactly what happened. A few days ago, one of the big store managers called a few of us into a meeting (5 people at a time) and let us know that one of the employees tested positive. We're gonna remain open, but we're allowed to take a 2 week unpaid leave (I think it's required by law).

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, if I can go to work, I probably should (I'm not showing symptons) But I can't help but think better safe than sorry. Even with all the reassurances that we should be fine, I'm not very convinced. This weekend, it was so crowded that maintaining a 6 foot distance was impossible (partly because customers were being dicks). As a result, I have been extremely paranoid about who's infected. Especially as I hear more and more people from that area are testing positive for that virus.

Comment

• D2 came over yesterday, ostensibly to "help organize"...didn't really do much of that. She failed to chip in her share of ordering lunch...again. The kid never carries cash, so no way I can ask her to pay up save for a Paypal request (or con her into paying for all of us one time). She ordered cupcakes for her mom from a local store before they closed, and would not leave the apartment to pick hers up until I also ordered some. Mom was thinking that she would at least get a few for us or offer to. I really do not think she grasps the concept of paying debts unless it's something official (CC, gym, directly from a site/store). Her mom wanted to come over too...hahaNO. I met her mom once for all of 30 seconds and I can see where she gets her assorted anxieties from.

I did try to introduce her to Minecraft and she seemed intrigued...but I think that's gonna be it for her visits for awhile since she relies on public transit and what's 'easy' for her is a hassle for us (picking her up on the Orange Line requires driving).
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-24-2020, 06:11 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• As a firearms dealer I did had a single day record Friday in $ of sales and with 90% of the repairs that were done and finally picked up after storing them for almost a year that also set a record. 3 weeks ago I wouldn't of been able to give 9mm away. I wish I had a pallet of it last week.
                        My state is still doing background checks so I'm still open but the large stores are closed. So it's good to be a home FFL right now. Getting alot more transfer requests from people willing to drive up to 2 hours cause I'm open and didn't jack up my fees.

La Dee Dodge is still open for service and parts. Sales had to close. "I'm Essential" LOL the fact I haven't gotten a raise ot review the last 3 years tell me other wise. Plus side the traffic is less in the am and can use the bosses TP when here.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                          The horrifying thing to me about the panic buying and empty shelves is that I expect in2-3 months most of the idiots will just trash all the masks and TP and green bread.

"I'm tired of all that shit stacked all over the house!"
                          The Store has put a big large-print message on all our receipts stating that we are NOT accepting returns on any of the items people are hoarding, and every checkstand now has signage saying we only accept returns for safety and quality issues.

Comment

• Vermont just issued the stay-at-home order. Good thing I picked up my form identifying me as an "essential worker" the other day.
                            Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

• A bit of clarification for our state:

The "stay at home" order is not being made mandatory at this time, but is being considered from what I've been hearing from local news sources today. That could change at any given time, however.

The shutdown on nonessential businesses does begin at 5 pm on Wednesday. Some have already shut down in anticipation of this, though.

I did hear from one of my vendors that he received an email from his company to provide in case of being stopped by LEOs to inquire about him being out and about. So far I've not received any info on this from Kitty Corporate (that could change at any time as well.)

Today was more of the same . . .empty shelves where what came in on yesterday's perishable and grocery trucks were emptied by more frantic Covidiots and more coming today - most understanding but at least a couple acted a bit miffed that we were already out of TP and clorox.

You can thank the lemmings who panicked for over a week who cleaned out the place and are still coming in to clean out what's left for that.

At least we don't have to worry so much with floor displays right now . . . email came down the chain telling stores to concentrate on keeping the shelves full and the floor displays to a minimum to allow for more space for folks to social distance.

One good thing about the empty sections of shelving is that it takes much less time to check dates on the remaining product. I'm already working on the sections for next week and it's only Tuesday.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                                Vermont just issued the stay-at-home order. Good thing I picked up my form identifying me as an "essential worker" the other day.
                                The Store gave me one of those, but it's not like I'm going to need it. I don't see cops randomly pulling over vehicles and demanding to see their papers any time soon. Besides, if I'm allowed to work at the Store, then surely people are allowed to shop at the Store. What are they going to do, demand to see your shopping list?
                                Last edited by Smapti; 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X