This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Pray/Send Good Thoughts

for EricKei and his family. Their town was hit by a bad storm last night and the power was out all over. Some of us are friends with him on facebook but I don't have his number. I have no idea what damage he or his family members suffered. Footage looks like a war zone. This storm is doing all kinds of bad things in several states so I hope all of our members are OK.

Edited to add: EricKei is fine but I want to post what happened near my town this morning--

https://fox6now.com/2019/02/24/multi...-lanes-closed/

Over 100 cars, one death.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 02-25-2019, 02:01 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I've got a candle lit.

Comment

Thanks, Morgana. I just got ahold of him on facebook. They're OK but the next street over is destroyed. Hospital didn't even have power. I'm heartbroken for the city.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 02-25-2019, 01:41 AM.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Hiyas ^_^

Thanks for the warm thoughts

Here's the TL;DR of what I know:

The street one block over from me got trashed on both sides of Main, tho not close enough to actually hear the tornado. Northside kinda got hit, hospital was out of power. Southside and the Eastern burbs got hit HARD. A side-street with TONS of businesses (because it's a popular cut-through off of Main) got slammed, and everyone's favorite deli got hit hard, losing part of its roof. An amphitheater in one of our smaller parks just ain't there no more (note: not the one mentioned below). Widespread power outages.

A secondary issue is that we live adjacent to a river which is the main shipping artery 'round these parts and we had a LOT of rain last week. Even prior to the twister, the "Riverwalk" amphitheater stage was under water and the "ground level" bridge above it was not much better off.

AFAIK, numerous injuries, many minor, and one rumored fatality -- Sooo...bad but not as horrible as it could have been, I suppose.
        Last edited by EricKei; 02-25-2019, 05:04 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thank goodness you're OK! You've been through enough lately.

So sorry to hear about the damage to your town. Hopefully the rumoured fatality is just that; a rumour. Stay safe.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Sadly, not. Final stats:

11 injuries, 1 death. F-3 class, about ten miles' path of fucked up shit. 130mph winds or so. Hospital lost power for some time, as did a good chunk of downtown. Bunch of houses lost fences, some house damage, major retail street got devastated, along with the one good deli in town (nooooooooooooooooooo!)

Lots of food-assistance aid stations cropped up (both with giving out food and with First-Aid cards that work like food stamp cards) ^_^ Cell phone stores have set up free charging station kisoks where they also give out water. Restaurants feeding people for free. All sorts of good stuff with people helping people One really unexpected thing was a car detailing place offering to vacuum out any and all vehicles brought to them that had suffered shattered glass for free.
            Last edited by EricKei; 02-25-2019, 03:34 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Yes, we sometimes forget that there ARE good people out there . . .

Comment

Wow, that's awful! Glad you're okay, EricKei, and my sympathies for everyone in your town who's suffering any sort of loss or damage.

We had some really high winds here but the damage wasn't nearly as bad.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Daaaaamn... so glad to hear the you're OK, and sympathies out to those who have suffered.
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

It's easy to forget sometimes that there are a lot of good people in the world. It's just that "person being nice" doesn't usually make good headlines/clickbait.

Who knows? Maybe your favourite deli will get a decent insurance payout and be able to renovate, re-opening bigger and better.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

They didn't actually close down, AFAIK. Stubborn dude runs it. They just threw a tarp over the hole and cordoned off the "danger zone." ^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X