This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop shopping is annoying me

As if automotive matters haven't been annoying enough lately, my laptop seems to be ready for cyber-hospice. It fell about one time too many, and DH was unable to do a lot on the repair front. As of right now, the space bar is intermittent at best, I had great difficulty convincing the touchpad to right-click after rebooting, and it's getting steadily trickier to position the top to avoid horrible noises that sound like something's crunching the fan.

Browsing laptops in my price range (under about $350) is frustrating. Most candidates have too little RAM (current one has 8GB and I'm quite reluctant to downgrade) or have rather small SSD storage instead of actual hard drives of useful capacity for my needs. I do insist on keeping my files local instead of in cloud storage for the most part.

Ugh.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Couple of notes:
    Laptop memory, while differently designed from desktop RAM, is something that can be taken from one machine and transferred to another machine with the same slot-type. You'll want to peruse memory type and 'Upgradable to XX GB'
    Drives are much the same way. They'll all be 2.5 inch size, and are easier to get to than the RAM. (most of the time... damn Dells)

On your existing machine, the only thing I can't readily suggest a remedy for is that hinge making the noises. Keyboards, and the touchpads, are all available as replacement parts. The hinges and such *might* be available, but may be cost prohibitive or just plain cheaper all around to go with the replacement. Shop around. Newegg, Tiger Direct and Amazon are just the names off the top of me head.

Comment

Don't assume the drive (especially SSD) can be swapped or upgraded. Last year my friend got a Super-Deal! that has a soldered-in 32G SSD and all the parts and sockets for SATA or M.2 were thriftily omitted. Pukes on every Win 10 update because there is *NO* space without a single application installed.

BorkstBorg Sandy Phewtah has a 15.6" HP w/4G+1T for $250. (1) DDR4-2400 SODIMM socket, maxram=8G.... or one for $360 w/8G+1T (2) slots maxram = 32G.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
        Couple of notes:
        Laptop memory, while differently designed from desktop RAM, is something that can be taken from one machine and transferred to another machine with the same slot-type. You'll want to peruse memory type and 'Upgradable to XX GB'
        Drives are much the same way. They'll all be 2.5 inch size, and are easier to get to than the RAM. (most of the time... damn Dells)
        Just sorted out SILs' Dell and it had a standard 2.5" drives that were pretty easy to get to. If Seanette is looking to buy cheap and upgrade to good then just Google "Upgrading RAM\Hard Drive on <Manufacturer & Model number>". If there's not an option to upgrade the storage then perhaps an external 2.5" drive?

On your existing machine, the only thing I can't readily suggest a remedy for is that hinge making the noises. Keyboards, and the touchpads, are all available as replacement parts. The hinges and such *might* be available, but may be cost prohibitive or just plain cheaper all around to go with the replacement. Shop around. Newegg, Tiger Direct and Amazon are just the names off the top of me head.
        Another thing to think of,especially as it's a fan type noise, is that one of the falls has chipped or misaligned something inside and that is interfering with the fan. Check You-Tube for guide to opening it to visually check
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
        X