This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Fawn View Post
    Then I started using one of those Mavis Beavin (Beacan?) typing programs and I slowly got better. I can now type without looking at the board. Yay!
    Mavis Beacon is the word in learning to type.

I actually took a typing class in high school because I knew I wanted to write, so I'd want to be able to use a typewriter. I learned on an IBM Selectric.

As for huge posts, if I know my post is long, I will copy it before I try to send it because I have lost way too many really long rants to internet / board hiccups.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Mario taught typing better. Ah, I wish I still had that program.
      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
        I spent an hour typing up a rant.. and the Internet ate my post...
        God that happened to me, too.

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
          Or, better yet, learn to type instead of hunt 'n' peck* so the hour of typing is condensed into 5 minutes.

*Have you noticed how painful it is to watch someone type like that? I want to grab the keyboard from their hands and show them how to type.
          I actually do that.
          But likewoahfast.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I was taught typing in Jr. High. Got to the point of not hunting and pecking, but still wasn't at the point of touch typing. For some reason, I was just at a block where I had to watch my hands while I was typing.

You know what cured me of that block? Starcraft. The keyboard shortcuts, having to send messages to teammates, etc. without having the time to look away from the screen.

Thank you Blizzard for making me the awesome typist I am today!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              I was taught typing in Jr. High. Got to the point of not hunting and pecking, but still wasn't at the point of touch typing. For some reason, I was just at a block where I had to watch my hands while I was typing.
              I learned to type in 2nd grade, right about the time I was learning cursive. Once we were to the point where we could do the home-row stuff, the teachers in the computer lab would tape sheets of paper to the tops of the keyboards so we couldn't see our hands while typing.

To whit, typing for me is as natural as writing, and something I practice FAR more often, so I'm much more comfortable with it.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                Or, better yet, learn to type instead of hunt 'n' peck* so the hour of typing is condensed into 5 minutes.
                I grew up around typewriters, and actually learned as a kid to type pretty well using just my two fingers. Of course, I learned on a MANUAL typewriter, so to this day I type LOUDLY. (In the past, I have been asked to leave a couple computer labs on occasion when I am typing one of my angrier diatribes.)

In junior high, when we started doing computer classes, the other kids noticed that, with two fingers, I was typing faster than most of the rest of them with all their fingers. And then, we got our intro typing class. Once I learned how to unleash all my fingers, I was off like a shot. Inititally, I had to look at the keyboard, but as time went on and I typed more and more on computers, my eyes slowly started wandering up to the screen, until one day I noticed that I didn't look at the keyboard anymore. Actually, I am at the point where I don't even have to look at the screen to type, if I don't want to. (That last sentence was typed while looking away, with only one error (which I fixed).) And as the years have gone on, I have gotten faster and faster. I honestly prefer now to type over write, as I can type infinitely faster than write.

I still can't type at the speed of my mother, but she was a freakin' typing rocket. Of course, being a career secretary/administrative assitant will generally help with that.

All that being said, I still sometimes have rants that take quite a while to type. But then, anyone who has been reading me for any length of time knows that some of my rants can be very very VERY loooooooooong.....

And sadly, yes, I pretty much can be this verbose in person. Which drives RW nuts at times. (Those times pretty much being am or pm.)

Quoth Tigress View Post
                There is no excuse for not knowing how to type. Basic computer skills classes are now mandatory in most schools.
                I know this all too well. Back in the dorms, I used to make some easy money by typing other people's papers up for them. Nowadays, more people know how to type than not, so they aren't willing to shell out the bucks for someone who can, even if they can do it faster (and more accurately with spelling, etc.) than they can. *sigh*
                Last edited by Jester; 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I learned to type from good old AOL chat rooms. I type pretty fast. I get lots of looks from people when they watch me typing like a mad woman.

I tend to be a hard hitter, too. My BF can't stand when I'm typing on the computer, and I often have to shut the door to the computer room.

I get especially fast and loud if I'm typing a rant... and as you all know...boy, can I RANT.
                  I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I can't believe people still type with 2 fingers. I did when I started typing but over the years worked out how to use my other fingers and now cvan type pretty fast. Not so go with the accuracy, I do occasionally look at my fingers but I'm getting better. I am so much better with numbers than letters, years of retail means I can power through huge numbers on the number pad without any mistakes.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I know this all too well. Back in the dorms, I used to make some easy money by typing other people's papers up for them. Nowadays, more people know how to type than not, so they aren't willing to shell out the bucks for someone who can, even if they can do it faster (and more accurately with spelling, etc.) than they can. *sigh*
                      I used to pick up a bit of spare change buy typing other people's papers, too.

It's really hard, however, to not rewrite the papers of people who's grasp of how to write a coherent and well-spoken sentence is as stunted as their typing skills.

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                      I get especially fast and loud if I'm typing a rant... and as you all know...boy, can I RANT.
                      Oh, yeah. Nekojin knows when I'm into a rant when I start typing really fast and without my usual pauses to gather my thoughts. And yet, even when I'm in a full tear, lashing my opponent to pieces with my verbal onslaught, I still come out as the more rational contender in my debates. I love it when people who don't agree with the point I'm making and probably never will end up supporting me, personally, over whatever lackwit is trying to fight for the point of view they do support.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I type I still watch my hands most of the time, but I'm still pretty quick, and relatively accurate. It comes much easier when I'm not thinking about doing it.

I have this old really clacky Dell keyboard which I love. It is very solid, and I have 3 of them just in case. (Managed to find a few extras when my Dad's office was moving).
                        "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
                        -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

Working...
                        X