This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My life sucks...

I spent an hour typing up a rant.. and the Internet ate my post...

Don't you hate that! Sometimes I wish it would magically reappear as quickly as it disappeared

Comment

Thanks to RW's sage wisdom with computers, I now use Mozilla Firefox rather than Internet Explorer.

Recently, my computer froze while I was almost at the end of one of my longer rants. (And we all know that I can rant!) When it became obvious after a bit that my computer was not going to unfreeze, I reluctantly rebooted it, figuring I would have to type the whole thing over again.

But an amazing thing happened, that I had never seen with Explorer. When I started up MF, it flashed a message saying that the previous session had been interrupted, and would I like to restore that session or start a new one. I clicked on restore, and not only did all my old windows come up, but my unfinished post came up, with only about half a sentence not being restored.

That, to me, was freakin' cool!

My suggestion? Get this damn program as your browser!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

That is why I use FireFox. I hated that crap.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Firefox is the awesome.

Also, if you're going to post something that takes on hour to type out, I would suggest doing it on a word processor (MS works, word, OpenOffice, etc.) and save often.

Or, better yet, learn to type instead of hunt 'n' peck* so the hour of typing is condensed into 5 minutes.

*Have you noticed how painful it is to watch someone type like that? I want to grab the keyboard from their hands and show them how to type.
          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Oh I hate when the internet eats my posts. Right now I have horrible internet connection, we hope to get something better before school starts. Also, I have to say possibly the best thing that my mom ever taught me was typing. She used to do data entry, so she can type really fast, and without looking. It's funny to watch her type a letter while she's watching TV, and not miss a single letter.
            It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
            ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Blind Typing

I took a year and a half (3 semesters) of typing in high school and a semester of business machines plus two semesters of computer programing. now I don't look at what I'm typing, but instead watch my fingers and know what I'm getting. I will also back up to the typo and fix it without looking at the screen most of the time.

But I still try to proofread myself, my spelling sucks little green furry rocks some days. Bad tiredness dyslexia I get a lot of hte = the.

Please attach spelling corrections to a large brick so the you get my attention when they need to be thrown at me.
              Meeeeoooow.....
              Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

I learned to type in high school, too. We used Macs (!) I watch the screen as I type but I type faster than I read sometimes. If I'm copying something I mostly look at what I'm copying and I also can catch typos as I go without actually looking at the screen.

One of the guys at work is a semi-hunt and peck type...yes, it's painful...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

just slightly ot, but at the moment, I have to be a hunt'n pecker...my right arm is in a restraint sling after rotator cuff surgery.

and copy and paste just will NOT work here for me for some reason, so I cannot use a word processor first
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I can't watch my mom type; it drives me nuts. And though I'm faster with two hands, I'm decent with one. Get your mind out of the gutter! It's because my lovebird likes to be held sometimes, which monopolizes one hand.

He's so spoiled.

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                      Or, better yet, learn to type instead of hunt 'n' peck* so the hour of typing is condensed into 5 minutes.

*Have you noticed how painful it is to watch someone type like that? I want to grab the keyboard from their hands and show them how to type.
                      Hells yeah. It irritates the hell out of me when I watch someone do it, especially when it's someone that's my age or a fellow technician. And those that insist on using l33t-speak, refuse to spell words out and write in complete sentences and try to pawn it off as "not knowing how to type."

There is no excuse for not knowing how to type. Basic computer skills classes are now mandatory in most schools. Colleges grant you access to computer labs. Basic computer courses are available at your local community college. If you are going to surf the Internets, at least learn the basics of how to use the machine that facilitates the activity, which includes knowing how to type.
                      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
                        There is no excuse for not knowing how to type. Basic computer skills classes are now mandatory in most schools. Colleges grant you access to computer labs. Basic computer courses are available at your local community college. If you are going to surf the Internets, at least learn the basics of how to use the machine that facilitates the activity, which includes knowing how to type.
                        Here Here! Well said! I learned to type when I was in junior high, then spent years getting better through talking on AIM. Now I don't even need to look at the screen all the time, although it's better to check it every once in a while. Really makes life easier.
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

When I first started typing I used the two fingers method.. Eventually moving to the using all fingers, but they aren't in the correct starter points and I have to watch the board to get the write letter. Then I started using one of those Mavis Beavin (Beacan?) typing programs and I slowly got better. I can now type without looking at the board. Yay!

I still have a tendency to write in short when I'm in conversations. Its a habit to type out "u" instead of "you."
                          Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post

My Mommy types like that. I can't be in the same room with her when she's on the computer.

Quoth Aldous View Post
                            she can type really fast, and without looking. It's funny to watch her type a letter while she's watching TV, and not miss a single letter.
                            I'm the same way. I can type, watch TV AND hold a conversation with the man of the household, all at the same time. I DO check what I'm typing every once in a while, though, because sometimes my hands shift.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I know how to type.. I just don't know how to shut up!! It was a SERIOUSLY long post... The DSL friggen hiccuped at the EXACT wrong moment because I accidently hit the back button. ZAP... no more cookie.

Comment

Working...
                              X