This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Don't Like You!"

Last Tuesday seemed like it was going to be a great evening at work: the sun was shining, the store was nearly empty, and it was the day before my birthday (Forecast called for Cupcakes!).

Italics will be used to distinguish what I heard from others and saw on camera later that night.

~3:00: Psycho woman (PW) enters the store. PW ignores all employees' attempts to greet/help her and instead plops herself on a chair that customers use during Bare Minerals makeup application. Two coworkers and a manager offer assistance to the hellbeast, but are told to "go away," "leave me alone", and "I don't like you."

~3:25: PW lurches across the store to get a basket, knocking over several items from a nearby display.

~3:45: PW is seen attempting to shove several non-clearance items into a plastic case holding a clearance blanket. This is seen by a stock person, who promptly tells management. PW is monitored on cameras. PW lumbers back to the Minerals area and sits on the chair.

~3:55: NC (who does not know that PW is a potential thief) gives her spiel, asks customer what she's looking for today.
    PW: "I don't like you! I want someone else."
    NC: (Confused) Well, ma'am, I'm sorry to say that no one else is available.
    NC tells me later that this conversation went on at least 2 more times before the PW settled down and just muttered to herself. Afterward, NC let PW borrow her pen to write down foundation colors used and application directions, etc...

4:00: I show up to work and begin ringing up customers.

~4:30, the truck with load arrived and all of the employees go to the back room to unload, save myself (running the lone cash register) and nice coworker (NC) on the floor.

~4:40: PW finally makes it to the line where I'm finishing up with a customer. NC walks behind me to get something. I call PW up to my register. As NC goes to leave the register area, she pats her pockets and realized that PW still has NC's pen. NC turns back and moves next to me and parallel to PW.

PW
    -----counter-----
    NC Me!

NC: Ma'am, I'm sorry, but I left my pen with you, if I could just have it back...
    The PW turns and THROWS the pen at NC!
    NC: then: "Excuse me? Why did you do that!"
    Me:
    PW: "I told you to leave me alone, I really don't like you!"
    NC: Ex-cuse me?!?
    I should probably note that PW is not a tiny woman, but larger than both me and NC. Curiously, she has a large bruise on the left side of her lower cheek, next to her mouth. Throughout the whole event, she tries to use her size to intimidate us, pounding her fist on the table, slamming the basket. NC is still stunned, and getting visibly pissed off. I myself ease back when I notice that PW is pulling heavy aerosol bottles of product from her hidey-hole in the clearance blanket bag. Granted, if she had thrown anything at me, I would probably whip it back reflexively, but I was certainly not going to jump over the counter and get into a land war with this beast.

PW: (yelling at me) Aren't you going to ring me up?
    Me: No frickin' way! You just threw something at my coworker, there is no way you can make me get close enough to you so that you can throw something at me too! Absolutely not!"

At this point, a nearby shopper, nicknamed Ms. Feisty in my head, who had witnessed the whole thing came charging up.

MF: "What in the hell is wrong with you? Attacking young girls! You need to act like an adult!"
    PW: Mind your own business!
    Me: Yeah, she just needed her pen back, you didn't have to throw it at her!

MF, Me, and NC continued to spar with PW until the manager got to the front. I was mainly hoping we could run her out of the store. Although, once I told PW that I would not help her and that a manager was on her way, PW immediately pulled out her "contraband".

Manager arrived, NC went back onto the floor. We told the manager the situation. PW is being rung up and berated at the same time by Manager, who tells her it is disgusting to do that to anyone, especially employees.

MF: "And you need to apologize to that girl!" Beckons NC up front. "Ok, here she is, now apologize."

PW: "I can't stand her, and you need to mind your own business!" Gets her stuff and leaves.

I gave, with my manager's permission, MF a 20% discount on her items. She didn't have to do anything, but she kept PW distracted long enough for us to get a manager and offered her info as a witness if we needed her. If I see her again, I will gladly give her another freebie.

Later that night, we reviewed the tapes, put together a sequence of what happened, and, after determining that it was not the result of employee wrongdoing, printed her picture and banned PW from our store!

Sorry but if the woman was THAT crazy, i would have let her keep the pen. However, i do admire the fact that you guys stood up for yourselves.

Comment

Sounds like PW has some long term mental issues.

Comment

Sounds like she grew up an entitled brat to me, Matt. She needs a good old fashioned switching. Who has a hickory switch on them?
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

reminds me of that episode of seinfeld where elaine takes georges tupee off and goes "I DONT LIKE THIS THING, AND HERE'S WHAT IM DOING WITH IT"

Comment

I don't think the manager should have let her buy anything.

Comment

Throwing the pen is one thing (bad) berating employees after is another (worse)

Comment

And there's a chance it could always get worse (pms).
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Obviously mentally ill. With these types the best thing is to do whatever it takes to get them out the door..
                  Not all SCs are asses, some are really deranged.. These are the kinds who decide to stab you because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
                  Eben56
                  If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

my first thought was.... i didnt realize i could grab one of those makeup chairs for my personal rest spot for almost 30 minutes without getting the boot.

but yay for her being banned.
                    in my unprofessional opinion it does sound like she's not mentally stable, and needs some kind of help (therapy, medication?) ... but doesn't need to be aggravating innocent people

Comment

I give props to your company for banning her ass.

Seriously, how many times have we read so much worse on here and their management refuses to ban them or worse, doesn't stick up for the employees who are being abused.

to your boss!
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Amandarthegreat View Post
                        PW: "I can't stand her, and you need to mind your own business!" Gets her stuff and leaves.
                        "Act like an ass in public and you've MADE it EVERYBODY's business!"

I love telling people that.

Brightens my day.
                        I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Kudos to Ms.Feisty stepping up and helping you and NC out and to the two of you standing up for yourselves. It sucks that the manager let PW ring up her stuff, but thankfully PW was banned . Nobody deserves to be abused and be somebody else's personal punching bag.
                          Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                            It sucks that the manager let PW ring up her stuff, but thankfully PW was banned.
                            I kinda thought that at first too, but then it appears that he did at least use his time wisely while ringing her up. He berated her for being an asshole to his staff.

But I agree, he really should have thrown her out right then and there.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                              I don't think the manager should have let her buy anything.
                              it's easier to ring her up then put everything back, and the manager's job is to make the store make money, getting her money then throwing her out is the best way. most places allow their managers to physically restrain people, and even if she's big you had her 4 on 1

just my opinion though, I also find it easier to deal with customers with a manager there to help
                              Last edited by nomorecarts; 08-03-2008, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X