This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow retail worker was my SC tonight

Our store is attached to a mall and mall employees often come to us on their breaks. I clock in, go put on my apron, and wash my hands. There are a couple of people in line, but coworker can handle it, as we usually work alone and are used to multi-tasking. So I take a glance at the paperwork to see what I need to do first when coworker asks if I can make the order of the guy she's ringing up. No problem. I make it: the last two hot dogs we have ready. Coworker says, "I'm outta here" and goes to leave. I help the next customer and the SC is the last in line and wants a hot dog. I apologize and say I *just* sold the last two my coworker had on the roller grill. Her response is, "Then YOU should have put one on for me" and she walks away angrily.

Now how was I supposed to know what she'd order? And yes, I could have stopped after the first guy and put some on, but they wouldn't be ready for 20 minutes, certainly not in time for her. They should have been put on 20 minutes before by my cw, not me. I was sooooo angry at the SC for insinuating that I don't do my job, which I DO, and that of other people too. I had come in 15 min before my shift to eat and at that point there were not the required number of dogs on the grill. Maybe if there had been, I wouldn't be left holding the bag, again.

So, I try to rectify the situation. I walk over to SC and tell her that after I finished with my customers I put more dogs on and they should be ready in 10 min. Now, the whole time she's been standing talking to her friend, but her excuse is, "I don't have time. I'm on my 30-min break. You've had your last business from me!" I even apologized again, and she stormed out. I'm still mad that she basically is blaming me, but I'm glad if I don't have to deal with her anymore. However, I'd love to find her store and be the absolutely most syrupy-sweet customers she's ever had, to show her how it's done. Because I don't treat retail people like crap.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

It's a sad reality: some retail/food workers just don't get it! Most people who have worked in customer service know what it's like and therefore exhibit less-SC behaviour...but some don't. I have friends who has worked in retail and will still leave a mess in the changing rooms and will not attempt to tidy up any displays that they mess up. Some folks never learn...
    -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
    -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

My entire family is in the restaurant business, and I have worked every restaurant position known to man. I'm going to give you some valuable advise. First, I have to say that it is so commendable that you show up on time and do your job properly. It's wonderful that you see what needs to be done and do it. It is absolutely priceless that you went so far out of your way to appease that stupid cow.

Here's the advise:

Speak up! Restaurant managers want things done. They don't care who did it or how it got done. They're too concerned with food costs and scheduling employees who will inevitably call in sick so they can get to the local football game. If you always do your job well and always make sure your sidework or opening and closing duties are performed properly, you will get screwed. Instead of complimenting you, your manager will most likely schedule you for the most demanding shifts and assign you the hardest duties because you will do them. Yes, you should do the best job you can, but you have got to stand up for yourself. Tell your coworker to put the freakin' hot dogs on before she/he leaves! Make sure you force them to do their job. Nine times out of ten coworkers will finally understand that it is easier to do prep work during their shift than it is for them to stay late at your insistence. Also, it is my experience that those coworkers end up respecting you. I was given raises and offered manager positions (outside of the family restaurants) when I was young because I did my job well, and because the coworkers I pissed off had come to look at me as the "head" server, bartender, whatever.

I would hire you in a second. You seem like the type of person any business would be lucky to have. You have every right to be obnoxiously proud of yourself.

Comment

Quoth DigitalEyes View Post
        Instead of complimenting you, your manager will most likely schedule you for the most demanding shifts and assign you the hardest duties because you will do them.
        The only other employee at my place whom knows how to operate the register can't be allowed to work night shift, because he doesn't do anything. When Boss-Man or I opens up in the morning nothing's cleaned and nothing's stocked. (Keeping the place cleaned and stocked consists of a dozen or so extremely simple tasks best preformed in the slow periods that occur at the beginning and at the end of the evening shift.) So I'm always working the evening shift, because I manage to preform the dozen or so extremely simple tasks. Fortunately I do get complimented, and my Boss frequently spends upwards of fifteen minutes complaining to me about my co-worker, which to me indicates job-security.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
          The only other employee at my place whom knows how to operate the register can't be allowed to work night shift, because he doesn't do anything. When Boss-Man or I opens up in the morning nothing's cleaned and nothing's stocked. (Keeping the place cleaned and stocked consists of a dozen or so extremely simple tasks best preformed in the slow periods that occur at the beginning and at the end of the evening shift.) So I'm always working the evening shift, because I manage to preform the dozen or so extremely simple tasks. Fortunately I do get complimented, and my Boss frequently spends upwards of fifteen minutes complaining to me about my co-worker, which to me indicates job-security.
          Job security is one aspect of it. The other - I wonder why these other people still have jobs! I also have a coworker like that. Everyone, including the bosses/owners know the deal (although some of us who have to pick up her slack know it better than others). I accomplished more in 2 hours yesterday than she did during her entire 6 hour shift. Yet she's still employed there!

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
            Fortunately I do get complimented, and my Boss frequently spends upwards of fifteen minutes complaining to me about my co-worker, which to me indicates job-security.
            It's nice that you are complimented, and there is no doubt about your job security which is extremely important. However, assuming you work five days a week, if your employer spends 15 minutes a day bitching about your coworker then your employer spends about 65 hours per year complaining (which, in no way, shape or form helps you). It takes less than 2 hours to place a 'Help Wanted' ad, review applications, interview applicants and hire a replacement for the dumbass you work with. But why should your manager bother seeing as how you'll take up the slack anyway.

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
              It's a sad reality: some retail/food workers just don't get it! Most people who have worked in customer service know what it's like and therefore exhibit less-SC behaviour...but some don't.
              They probably feel that they have earned the right to act like that. Or that since "everyone else" does it, they can too.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Sounds like one of those people who would blame YOU for a long line if she was on a break and didnt' have much time. I hate those people, it's not OUR fault you are on a time limit and if the line is too long, go somewhere else.

I do sympathize though. Awhile back at a Wal-Mart I was in line at the in-store Mcdonald's ahead of two employees who were on a break. Knowing they didn't have much time and I did, I stepped aside and allowed them to take my place in line. They were absolutely STUNNED. Wouldn't you know it, there's still good people around from time to time.

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                  Most people who have worked in customer service know what it's like and therefore exhibit less-SC behaviour...but some don't. I have friends who has worked in retail and will still leave a mess in the changing rooms and will not attempt to tidy up any displays that they mess up.
                  Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  They probably feel that they have earned the right to act like that. Or that since "everyone else" does it, they can too.
                  I have a friend who works retail and is an SC, and this is exactly her mentality. Customers are sucky to me all day, so when I shop I get to be sucky. Customers make a mess in my shop and I have to tidy up after them, so when I'm off the clock I don't have to clean up after myself. And so on. We had a long talk about how this is not constructive behaviour and doesn't solve anything, but she's set in her ways. It really bothers me - especially when we spend ages bitching about SCs, then she says something like, "This guy in a shop wouldn't give me a discount the other day, so I yelled at him and walked out, it was crap service!"
                  Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

Quoth DigitalEyes View Post
                    I would hire you in a second. You seem like the type of person any business would be lucky to have. You have every right to be obnoxiously proud of yourself.
                    I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically, since the smiley is laughing. I would like to assume you were sincere. You never know on the internet.

At any rate, I and everyone else who has ever worked in our dept. has spoken up. The boss and the boss' bosses do appreciate me and that is precisely why I get the shifts with the most work. That's fine; I'm used to busting my butt. That's not my complaint. If I'd been there earlier in the day, this problem wouldn't have come up. My boss and her bosses know that. It's the SC I have a problem with, mostly. I am sick and tired of the superior attitude people have toward me because of where I work. One day I am going to say what I think and lose my job.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically, since the smiley is laughing. I would like to assume you were sincere. You never know on the internet.
                      I was being quite sincere. You seem like a real gem!

Comment

oh, ok sorry. It was the smiley that threw me--like you were laughing or something. I have to say that I am on a mission. I WILL find that SCs store and she WILL be seeing my face a lot, simply because she doesn't want to. Oh, and I hope she comes back.

Comment

I HATE it when SC's come in and dont' get what they want...then say "Well you should have....blah blah blah" They insinuate they know what my job entails...when they, in fact, do not. And what a biatch she was even after you tried to rectify it. You're way nicer than I.

Once you find out where she works, make up a hot dog and deliver it to her at her store. Preferrably when she's with a customer....

"Here, hon...I'm sorry you were so upset the other day when I didn't have a hot dog ready for you...you stormed out before I got a chance to get you one, so I wanted to bring it to you now." Make her feel like an ass.

I'd do that...but I'm evil sometimes.
                          Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

That's awesome!! Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                            X