Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slushies, lawsuits, and ju-ju fingers, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sharsarannon View Post
    Where.
    In the seven chunks of dirt.
    We call earth.
    Do you LIVE????
    HOLY CRAP I thought people that stupid died out with barn hexes and stake burnings!!!
    Oh, are you kidding? I grew up in rural SC. I assure you it's not died out. When I was in high school, a lot of the rural kids thought I was a witch. No, I didn't do anything or dress any way to encourage this. I guess I just have "the look" whatever that may be.

It was easy to get them to give me a wide path, though. After all, they thought I was a witch. I could draw a doodle on something that meant nothing, and they wouldn't touch it. Okay, so I guess in some ways, I did encourage it. But they started it.

My dad (who had the "root finger") could get this one superstitious guy to clear out of the shop by pulling off piece of mechanic's dum dum (putty), roll it up, and toss it into the guy's bay. (they worked in a garage). The guy would run and hide. He didn't even know what the old man had tossed in. I should probably note that this guy was a really annoying jerk, and pretty much asked for it. Dad wasn't just picking on him for no reason. He thought the old man was putting a "gypsy curse" on him. (It didn't help that my dad, in addition to being a mechanic, was also a magician and could make thing appear and dissappear and change from one thing to another. And he could do escapes, and would do these things to entertain his buddies on slow days. )
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 07-31-2007, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
      When I was a kid, we used to buy these white chalky tasting candy sticks called Fags. They had one end coloured in red to look like a lit cigarette.
      So that's why they're called Fads, now. I'm old enough that when I was a kid, they were still just called candy cigarettes, because that's what they were. All this PC BS really irks the hell out of me.

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
      Then there's the hilarious different meanings of fanny in the States and fanny in the UK.
      Aw... you beat me to it. From what I understand, Australians also use the British meaning for fanny. I imagine it's worse to be named Fanny in the UK than it is to be named Randy.

Quoth Shengirl View Post
      Oh my god, what happens when someone talks about their fanny pack while being a tourist in the UK?
      Laughter.

Speaking of language fun and the British meaning for "fanny"... I got a ride home from a coworker yesterday, and she was telling me about a license plate someone had come up with. The plate itself said, "BREAD8," which seems pretty safe. However, we're in southern California, and things change once you translate the phrase into Spanish.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

Aw... you beat me to it. From what I understand, Australians also use the British meaning for fanny. I imagine it's worse to be named Fanny in the UK than it is to be named Randy.

^-.-^
        we laugh at Randy too.
        *snerk* You're... Randy... are you? *snerk*
        Bless the british guttermind.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
          we laugh at Randy too.
          *snerk* You're... Randy... are you? *snerk*
          Bless the british guttermind.
          It's a really good thing that I have so many people I'm in contact with around the globe. I won't run into any of the more common linguistic problems most idiot tourists have no clue are out there.

Now if only I had the funds to put any of my worldly knowledge to use.

That's knowledge of the world, thankyewverymuch.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
            I've read too much Hellblazer and Harry Potter fanfic to even think twice about someone calling a cigarette a fag. But I think that just makes me a nerd. Besides, the whole rubber/eraser and pants/boxers thing has way more opportunities for hilarious misunderstanding.
            Jennie in London
            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
              Yeah, that comic is how I found this website. ^_^

Comment

Same here. Jennie rocks. I gotta remember to stock up on the 3 foot pixie stix at BJ's next tiem she comes around.
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  Speaking of language fun and the British meaning for "fanny"... I got a ride home from a coworker yesterday, and she was telling me about a license plate someone had come up with. The plate itself said, "BREAD8," which seems pretty safe. However, we're in southern California, and things change once you translate the phrase into Spanish.

^-.-^
                  I stopped off at Ree's house last year and had to get a picture of the cookbook by "Fannie Farmer".

That conjured up some interested images.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                  X