Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please show me the Non-Compliance section.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please show me the Non-Compliance section.

SC: Where is your non-fiction section?
    Me: Anything specific?
    SC: *shrugs shoulders*
    Me: Title....?
    SC: ...
    Me: Subject...?
    SC: *staring at me blankly*
    Me: Over there. (Points to every shelves that isn't Fiction, Manga, Mystery, Young Adult, Kids, or Romance).

Gee, that sounds like a phone call I get about once a week.

I work for a major electronics retailer (think Circuit City, Fry's, Best Buy, etc). The only thing we sell that is not electronic or related thereto is candy on the impulse rack by the registers. Yet I have this conversation quite regularly.

Me: (store) computers, this is HawaiianShirts.
    Caller: Yes, could you transfer me to the electronics department, please?
    Me: Which one? I have seven.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

I get that all the time! Nonfiction is approximately 8/10 of our very large store. Usually if you ask people can give you a more specific subject but I got this gem yesterday.

SC: Where's your nonfiction section?
      Me: What subject are you looking for?
      SC:...I don't know.
      Me: OK...nonfiction is everything that is not in this corner here.
      SC:

She never did come up with a subject she was interested in, so good luck, lady.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I always loved that question...

"Well, Fiction is along the windows over there, so, um, everything else!"
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Vaguely asking for help at a bookstore?

I just wander around in a blissful daze.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I never understood how one goes into a bookstore, knowing they want "nonfiction" but having no clue what actual topic (or at least general subject) they are looking for. I might not know exactly what I want to read, but I will at least know if I'm looking for History, or Science, or whatever....

Comment

Maybe they have a kid, and the kid said "I need a non-fiction book for school" and the parent goes blindly looking for it...

I really don't know, I learned that Non-Fiction is catergorized by subject (Dewey anyone?) when I was 6.

Comment

oh man. that probably tops my list for beating-worthy questions. i've taken to just spreading my hands and saying "pretty much everywhere." the worst is when people will say they're looking for non-fiction, but then say "its a history book." holy shit did it ever occur to you that we have separate section called history?

i once had someone ask for books on japan. "ok, history, travel, culture...?"

"just japan."

"well, then they're going to be all over the store in either history, travel, or cultural studies. maybe some in art, too. and fiction."

"can't you narrow it down?"

"not unless you know what you're looking for."

"that's lame."

Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  I never understood how one goes into a bookstore, knowing they want "nonfiction" but having no clue what actual topic (or at least general subject) they are looking for. I might not know exactly what I want to read, but I will at least know if I'm looking for History, or Science, or whatever....
                  I can do that in a library...I've read just about every subject there is to read, but for some reason, I've been hating fiction books lately. So I usually just walk back and forth in the nonfiction looking for a book I haven't read yet.

My mom was a librarian, I could read by 4, at a high school level by seven, and I went to work with her ALL the time. I ran out of material quick.

But still, that's a library...the purpose of which IS to just kind of find something to read...
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth draftermatt
                    Maybe they have a kid, and the kid said "I need a non-fiction book for school" and the parent goes blindly looking for it...
                    Actually, you're right, this is often the case...and usually the kid is not with them. The next question is usually "can I return this if the teacher doesn't approve it?"

Make them do their own damn homework!!!

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                    I can do that in a library...I've read just about every subject there is to read, but for some reason, I've been hating fiction books lately. So I usually just walk back and forth in the nonfiction looking for a book I haven't read yet.
                    Good point, but the library is categorized a bit differently than most bookstores. My library has a separate Biography section, and Fiction is broken down somewhat (Mystery, Classics) but most of the Non-Fiction isn't separated by subject, aside from the Dewey system. Whereas, in the bookstore, there are big signs over all the bookshelves, saying things like "History," "Biography," "Cooking." There is no sign that says "Non-Fiction."

Comment

Quoth B&NGoddess View Post
                      oh man. that probably tops my list for beating-worthy questions. i've taken to just spreading my hands and saying "pretty much everywhere." the worst is when people will say they're looking for non-fiction, but then say "its a history book." holy shit did it ever occur to you that we have separate section called history?

i once had someone ask for books on japan. "ok, history, travel, culture...?"

"just japan."

"well, then they're going to be all over the store in either history, travel, or cultural studies. maybe some in art, too. and fiction."

"that's lame."

At that point, I probably would've said something like, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I'm not a mind reader, and even if I was, you'd have to have a mind to read first."

My parents would go so far as to take me to the library or bookstore. They might even browse for books to offer as suggestions, but they were very insistent that I do the homework myself. If I didn't put out the effort, then I got the standard, "It's your own fault....." speech later.
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth B&NGoddess View Post

"that's lame."
                        Yes, yes it is lame.

I'd say that and make sure they knew exactly how I meant it.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ya know, I very rarely ask for help in a bookstore unless there's a specific author or subject I'm looking for. Otherwise, I can fend for myself. The only bookstore in town I absolutely HATE is Waldens (mostly because their selection sucks in comparison to B&N and even the local bookshop--which has chess and coffee in the shop and a Mexican cantina across the street ^_^). My grandma has been a librarian for 30 years (is retiring as of Jan) so reading was always a good pasttime for me. I go through phases though. 3-6 months I might be into WWII and Nazi Germany...and then for 3-6 months I might be into Tudor England....and then for 3-6 months I might be into Latin American lit.

Comment

My worst problem with shopping in a bookstore is concentrating on what I need to find. There are just too many interesting titles to distract me. Next thing I know, I'm reading book covers for books that have nothing to do with the subject I need to find.
                            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I get that all the time. I want to respond with "If you want a can of beans do you ask the clerk at the supermarket where the food is?".
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X