This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    Hey Pagan! Will you share your Oreos? I have milk!
    Well, of course I'll share! And they're always better with milk!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth meme View Post
      I'm on low carb, but not by choice, I'm diabetic, and carbs can mess with my blood sugar, but I can have some, and believe me, I use all my "credits". Given the choice, I'd take pasta or bread for dinner over meat any day of the week.
      I thought carbs were good, because they release blood sugar slowly, allowing the body to metabolise it in a more controlled way. But low glycaemic index carbs (granary bread, museli, etc) are better than high GI ones (white bread, mashed potato and so on).
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Food, in and of itself, is not evil. It's how much you eat and how active you are that count.
        That is true. If you are active, you can burn off the weight. Me, I just want more muscle. Because I did lost about half the weight that, I wanted too.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Diets need more

Quoth Pagan View Post
          You beat me to it!

Food, in and of itself, is not evil. It's how much you eat and how active you are that count. One of the best things I've ever heard is, "Moderation in everything including moderation."

Now where did I put those Doublestuff Oreos?
          One thing that bugs me is that too many people think dieting does it all. YOU MUST BE ACTIVE!

My mom is always trying a new diet, always claiming that this is the one that will lose her all the weight, but she refuses to go out walking because people will see how fat she is! She literally spends 8-10 hours a day just sitting in a chair and then complains that the latest diet does not work.

We will not even touch how many times she breaks the rules of any diet she is on.

Comment

I hate no-carb diets. The only way they work is if you NEVER eat carbs. Otherwise, the second you start eating carbs again, you gain the weight back again.

And carbs are basically the main source of energy provided for the body. Constantly consuming no carbs will result in a lack of energy, and with no energy, the body cannot function properly. The only carbs that should be eliminated from the diet is basically sugars. Stuff like candies, sweets, chocolates, etc. Those are the worst for you.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

The Atkins Dieters are setting themselves up for one of two things: Failure within 3 weeks of the diet then gain the weight back or Kidney failure or at least major problems in their future.

Your kidneys need carbs to do their job properly. When you deprive them of that nutrient (naturally found in bread & whole grains), your body starts using fat cells, which is what helps lose the weight, but your kidneys are now needing to work twice as hard to do their job because they're not getting the correct balances of nutrients needed to do it. My dad's step-sister is a nurse at the University of Minnesota Transplant Unit, and has seen the damage done by the Atkins diet. Depriving your body of needed carbs is not a good thing.

I actually have lost over 60 lbs, post pregnancy and I am down to just about my high school weight (140) and I am 5'6". And I have kept it off, give or take 2-3 lbs fluctuating up and down, for 6 months. I did it through Weight Watchers. I loved this program because they didn't say 'no' to specific foods. You could eat whatever you wanted as long as you stayed within your points allowance for the day, as well as for the week. Healthier foods obviously got lower point values, so the system basically taught you to eat healthier, but be creative with that stuff because eating healthy food the same way each time was a bit dull and didn't help with keeping on track.

I learned to eat until I was satisfied, NOT full. So this meant smaller amounts several times a day. Because I have trained my body to eat smaller portions every few hours, my metabolism is always going, expecting food. I still eat out and I still eat grains and bread. I just know when to stop. And that doesn't stop me from indulging every so often, which I love to do. But I also know that if I do that, I need to be more active the next day and eat lightly to balance it out.
              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Yeah, my Mother used to go on all the fad diets and never lost a pound. She spent years living on a thousand calories a day and still weighed over 250. She tried the Atkins diet and it caused her cholesterol to go up so her doctor made her quit.

She finally came to me in desperation (as the family health nut, I get all the requests for help). I put her on a plan that I made up just for her, to change her eating habits. It took two years for her to adopt all these habits, one at a time, but as she adopted them, the weight began to fall off. She now weighs 117 pounds and is a size two! (This is normal for her, she's 5'4" and weighed 98 pounds at 18.) Her doctor actually asked me to write out what I put her on so he could look at it. He says she's healthier then ever. Yay me!

The plan I wrote for her is very simple and common sense. People always seem to think that losing weight is some mystical, magical process that happens when the alchemy between the dieter, the diet and the food is just right. Or something like that, I don't know! It just confuses me, I guess, because it's actually very simple.

There is only one real rule to remember about weight loss:

To lose weight, you must expend more calories than you consume.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

If you wanna take off weight, you simply need to keep track of A) how many calories you eat each day, and B) how much exercise you get. Once you've established your habits regarding these two practices, tweak them until your body starts to shed pounds.

It took my Mother two and a half years to lose all that weight. But lose it she did, and now she looks great in shorts (at 57!) and is so much more active than she used to be. She looks back at her diet experiments now and says 'What was I thinking?!'
                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Is Atkins dying off in other places like it is here? Most people here have seen the futility of a diet that lets you eat three pounds of bacon a day, but won't let you eat an apple.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                    I thought carbs were good, because they release blood sugar slowly, allowing the body to metabolise it in a more controlled way. But low glycaemic index carbs (granary bread, museli, etc) are better than high GI ones (white bread, mashed potato and so on).
                    I'm not an expert, but carbs do turn into sugar in the system. From what I understand of it, the glycemic index is supposed to rate (wrong word, but I can't think right now) how quickly they do so. In my experience, however, the carbs in corn chips will spike my blood sugar, but those in white potatoes don't make much of a difference despite their high carb content. Both are high according to the GI, but they affect me differently. Also the low glycemic foods will often contain fiber, which lowers carb content. For me, it involves a lot of math (more than I care for when making dinner), and trial and error because, while I'm not a vegetarian, I'm not a big carnivore either.

Sorry to go OT, now back to our regularly scheduled thread....
                    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
                    ~Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ah, low carb diets, the three words that are torture to a distance runner's ears. The only reason people were against carbohydrates was because they were eating too much spaghetti along with various types of pasta and not being active enough. I know I'm beating a dead horse but I get annoyed when I order pasta when someone goes on to say how much carbs are bad for me. I can understand if your doctor advises you on low-carbs because of health reasons.

I'm also glad to see that Atkins fad lose popularity.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I have a high metabolism. at least, that's my theory. I snack at home (usually tuna on crackers), as well as snack on granola during the day, followed by pasta at night or Tv dinners, plus sandwitches for lunch and eggs with cheese in the morning. I also have a few chocolates or candies during the day too (usually 60 percent cocoa. milk chocolate makes me gag)

And I am STILL HUNGRY.

I dont think I'm losing weight though. I dont know -no weight scale - but I'm healtihly plump so I'm not terribly worried.

Being active definitely helps too. I walk up/down three flights of stairs just to leave the building, plus I walk all over at work, and I bike to/from work.

I never got the fad diets. I went vegan once as part of a pledge against animal cruelty, but I didnt last - The all-veggie diet I tried (I was a stupid vegan I guess) wasn't giving me the energy I needed. I knew that carbs are needed for healthy living - My pastas is probably what gives me energy all day. Plus my love of potatoes and perogies...

I should perhaps see a dietitian, see if I can get healthier. I have a very low blood pressure and it causes problems at times.
                        Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Okay I think an explination of what a low-carb diet does do is in order.

Eating no carbs and lots of protien causes the body to lose water.
                          This can be useful if your a boxer or wrestler and you want to slip into a lower weight category.
                          Eat no carbs for three weeks and lose all of the water in your body. Then once you are weighed you eat a huge pasta dinner and drink water till it comes out your ears.

This is why the atkins "diet" works for three weeks. After three weeks your body realizes something is wrong and tries to absorb more water. thus you put your "water weight" back on.

If you don't eat carbs for 6 months straight (time varys with how much fat your body has) there is a very good chance you will die of kidney failure. But before that happens it will burn when you pee, you're muscles will always hurt (as without lubrication they "grind" together and damage everything) and you will have trouble focusing on thinking. (because the glucose your brain uses comes from Carbohyrates.)

But the biggest reason not to follow an atkins style diet?
                          Apple = Bad
                          18oz steak with butter and cheese = Good

Comment

Well at least atkins and no-carb freaks have had something possitive. thanks to the push of the freaks now most food we get here from the us is labeled with a carb reading and even a sugar reading sometimes, which makes it much easier for my diabetic bf to control his carb intake

Ps. To the people speaking of Glicemic Indexes and release cycle, you're right abotu the glicemic index, different carbs release into sugar levels at different speed, being afaik complex carbs (like fiber) the slowest (and best for a diabetic (my bf) or hipoglicemic (me))
                            Last edited by Bliss; 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM.
                            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I've been following the Blood Type Diet for a couple of years now and it's made a huge difference in my health and weight. As a blood type O it's better for me to eat lean red meat and cold-water oily fish like cod, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits daily, and to get my carbohydrates from sweet potatoes, pumpkin and root vegetables. (I also try to walk a good distance every day--you cannot get fit without consistent exercise of some kind, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it imo.) This is the only food plan that has ever worked for me on a consistent basis and that I actually look forward to eating every day! That said, I would never push this plan on anyone else--and sure as hell wouldn't do so while standing in line at a fast food joint. Jeez. When I go to Wendy's on the occasional burger run I want a nice big juicy burger with a large side of fries, not a lecture from me or anyone else--no hypocrisy here!

For me the bottom line is, eat in moderation and get plenty of exercise. And give yourself a treat now and then. Life is uncertain, eat dessert first once in a while!

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
                                I've been following the Blood Type Diet for a couple of years now and it's made a huge difference in my health and weight. As a blood type O it's better for me to eat lean red meat and cold-water oily fish like cod, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits daily, and to get my carbohydrates from sweet potatoes, pumpkin and root vegetables.
                                Really? I'm O negative. Where did you read about this stuff, cuz I've been eating white meat chicken.

Comment

Working...
                                X