This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking Dumb Questions

It was a nice quiet day, no one's yelled at me so far, i just finnished serving a lovely old lady and was waiting for my next customer.

A lady walked past my register, noticed me and stopped and stared at me for about 2 mins, meanwhile i had served a few other people, she then walks up to me and says, "Are you open?"

Let's see, my sign isn't up, my light is on, you just watched me serve other people so wouldn't you come to the conclusion that why yes i'm still open. I really wanted to say no i'm not, i just like to stand here and pretend i'm an employee, the uniform brings out the colour in my eyes.

Another thing i hate is a customer will walk through the door and before even attempting to find their desired product say to me, "Where's the eggs", or Where is such and such" I usually don't even get a hello or could you please help me with something.

Lazy.

So you were open, then?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

If I'm in a hurry I might ask to be pointed in the right direction (after a polite "Hi, can you help me?" of course), but considering most grocery stores have the same general layout (ie, the eggs and milk are almost always in the far corner or against the back wall), as well as large signs marking the aisles, I will usually fend for myself in the grocery store unless I'm having trouble finding a specific brand.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I love the 'Are you open?' thing

No, I am in fact, standing here for my looks.

Odd, if you're standing at the register not doing anything because you have no customers, they assume you are slacking off. (Or perhaps we stand there after we clock out because we like it there so much?)

If you are not at the register, maybe stocking candy or cleaning up other registers, they assume that you are avoiding customers and/or shirking responsibility.

Can't win for losing!

Or:

You have a sign up, or in the case of my store, we have nifty little plastic chains with which to block off the lane, your light is off, there is a manager counting your till, and you are cleaning the register.

"Are you open?"

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Chained to the counter View Post
          i just like to stand here and pretend i'm an employee, the uniform brings out the colour in my eyes.
          That's good. I'll have to mix that in with my "No, I don't work here. I'm just a big fan."
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No, I don't work here. I just like to wear the nametag

No, lugging books around for 8 hours is how I get my workout. Cheaper than the gym!
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
              You have a sign up, or in the case of my store, we have nifty little plastic chains with which to block off the lane, your light is off, there is a manager counting your till, and you are cleaning the register.

"Are you open?"

*looks at till being counted*

*looks at turned-off light*

*looks at chain*

I'm going to have to go with "No."

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X