This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's federal law..."

Don't you love customers who are lay-lawyers? Today I had a customer come up with a product. He said he saw it for $20 and it was ringing up as $25 (I randomly chose numbers in that ballpark).

New Girl: Hey, what do I do about this?
    Me: Do about what? (handing my customer his reciept)
    New Girl: *explains what happens*
    Me: Well, it's possible that that sale is over. I--...
    My customer: You HAVE to give him that price. It's GA law! If you don't give him that price, he can sue.
    Me: *blank stare at customer*
    My customer: I'm not just making this up!
    Me: ....Thank you for choosing us and have a nice day.

I didn't dignify that with a response, mostly because I didn't feel like arguing with the guy about it. Plus, what I was about to say to the other guy is that if the dates for the sale are up (which are printed on the signs and whatnot), there's nothing we could do. Maybe I could have gotten a manager to override the price. But after that unbidden outburst, forget it.

Same here

I had a customer somewhat like that, only he wanted me to serve him when I was closed.

My sister got a lady who claimed she was a lawyer. Took a register supervisor and a manager to explain that my shop was offering her more for returning an item and receiving it for that day's price, than what she would've gotten if she rang up and complained.

I don't think it got through to her.

Don't you love customers?
    Some days I just want to chase the customer around with a big book with teeth. D:

Comment

I never really believed people actually pulled the 'It's the law!' thing in regards to prices... Until I saw it firsthand. Which left me speechless. Luckily, I've only seen it once ever so far....
      3 Basic rules for ordering food.
      - Order from the menu.
      - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
      - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Lay Lawyers Anonymous

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post
        Don't you love customers who are lay-lawyers? Today I had a customer come up with a product. He said he saw it for $20 and it was ringing up as $25
        I didn't dignify that with a response, mostly because I didn't feel like arguing with the guy about it.
        Whenever I thought it was worth an explanation (rarely) I would give the SC an example: If an employee at the BMW dealer misplaced the decimal point, do you think the (State, Feds, City, whoever's "law" the SC was quoting) would require them to sell a car for $325.00 instead of $32500???!!! No. In fact, INTENT to defraud the customer is what they are protected against. If you advertise something as $20.00 consistently and it always rings at $25.00, there can be a case. Funny how the people who seem the least likely to be dead-on perfect at THEIR job expect everything to be so in the real world, eh?

Comment

One day if I own my own business, customers will be required to show a copy of the law before they can claim that. It will have to be valid in the correct location and not have been overturned by a new law.

Like they'll actually research it.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post
            My customer: You HAVE to give him that price. It's GA law! If you don't give him that price, he can sue.
            To which my response would have been a simple, "Speaking as a native Georgian, I can tell you that GA has no such law at all. In fact, GA operates very much in a rapacious capitalistic 'buyer-beware' mode."

Comment

Working...
            X