Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call 30 secs before going home ruins whole day.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call 30 secs before going home ruins whole day.

OK, a little history. Company M had a PC with a dying hard drive. I managed to get it booting for them, and told them to get their IT department to ghost the hard drive ASAP. They didn't get around to it, ad the hard drive died completely. Last Wednesday I went to pick it up, with the agreement that we'd order a new hard drive, and completely re-install verything on the computer. For the next 24 hours I ran memtest86 to make sure it wasn't getting corrupt due to bad memory, then ordered the hard drive on Thursday, with a guarantee of Friday delivery.

Tuesday, I give up and drive up to pick up the hard drive myself, since they never actually gave it to a courier. The same day I pick up a second computer from M that also has a dying hard drive, though I only discovered this after none of the quivck 5 min fixes that should have worked did. When I wasn't working on this new computer, I was working on the first one I picked up. I'd re-installed most of it, before learning that bcause of a stupidd card reader, it had set the hard drive as h:\. Format, re-install. By the end of Wednesday, it was coming along alright, not too much left to do, but since it's a complicated machine, running programs written by my comapany specifically for it, and the hardware in it, before I started working, that I know nothing about, things could still go wrong.

Wednesday, 4:30, I'm at my car, putting my stuff in the boot, about to go home, when my mobile rings. It's DJ from company M.

Keep in mind I spoke to another maintenance guy, A, earlier in the day to tell him the status of both computers and asked him it pass it on to DJ.

Me: Hello, Arucard speaking.
    DJ: Hi, this is DJ from M, how's things?
    Me: Alright...
    DJ: How many computers am I getting tomorrow?
    Me: At this stage, none, beca...
    DJ: Why not?
    Me: Because we only got the new hard drive for it yesterday, and since then, I've set it up twice, and it's coming along, but not quite finished yet.
    DJ: So when will I get it.
    Me: I'm hoping by Friday at the late...
    DJ: THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! You'll tell me a definate day and I'll tell you if it's good enough or not.
    Me: ... Well I can't give you a definite answer now as I'm not at work, but I'll call you back tomorrow morning when I can look at what's left to do.
    DJ: Very well, but I want it before 10am!. Now what's happening with computer 2?
    Me: I explained what ws going on to A this morning, has he spoken to yu?
    DJ: No.
    Me: Well, <explains that the problem isn't as simple as thought, and a new hard drive and rebuild is again needed.>
    DJ: Alright, and why haven't you done that yet?

GRRRRRRR....

I hate people who try to put you on the defensive as soon as you answer the phon. That message put me in a crapy mood for the rest of the night. From now on, the moment I leave my desk, I turn off my mobile, and once I'm home and turn it back on, I'm not answering any calls I don't recognise as coming from a non-work related number.
Working...
X