This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such a lovely group of students...

So the bulk of my work involves dealing with our bridging/conversion program for folks who were qualified in a particular field of healthcare in their home country and need to be brought up to Australian standards (sidenote - not everyone who applies to the medical board goes through this course, it's basically on a case-by-case basis) or who did get qualified in Australia but have been out of the loop for 5-10 years.

We tend to keep the class sizes small and only have about 30-35 students per intake as a result. My role usually involves scheduling mentors to visit the students on placement, so I don't really see them that much beyond the odd phone call, email or helping set up the sim lab occasionally. (I also do a few other tasks related to both that course and helping out the department as a whole)

Well, the first intake this year had me getting involved with setting up the simulation lab more and more but also being occasionally called in to help with various low-level IT issues (eg "My presentation isn't coming up"), so as a result, I got to see more of the students this time around. (We do have an IT team, but for low-level situations, I'm usually better off handling them)

Yesterday was their final day on-campus (they had a self-directed learning day today and start their placement block on Monday), so they decided to hold a shared lunch thing.

What I expected was that they would invite the course coordinator and the other trainers as well.

What I didn't expect was that they wanted to invite the rest of the administrative team! (This included me, the person responsible for organising their placement and the admissions person who handles their cases) They actually took a photo with me in it and gave ALL of us this HUGE-ass thank you card. It was so sweet .

The course coordinator commented afterwards that they were easily the loveliest bunch of students we've had. (Which honestly makes it far more heartbreaking should one of them screw up)

Awww. Well, if karma is a thing that exists, maybe this will go towards preventing any major screw-ups.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

It actually did - no students failed during their placement.

Comment

Working...
      X