This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shot in the Arm

Okay people, the most dreaded time of year has arrived for pharmacies nationwide: FLU SHOT SEASON.

Imma tell you how this shit works, so listen up.

* Yes, flu shots do take fifteen minutes to prepare. Longer if there's a line.

* No, you cannot just walk up to the register, roll up your sleeve and expect the tech to pull a preloaded needle out of their coat pocket and vaccinate you.

* Only the Pharmacist, or a pharmacy student intern, can administer shots. Do you really want just anyone ramming a needle into your arm?

* The pharmacists KNOW how to make it hurt, so don't be an asshole.

* When venturing out to your neighborhood pharmacy in search of said flu shot, PLEASE do it when you have plenty of time to spare. DO NOT come rushing in and demand a super speedy flu shot because you're in a hurry. WE WILL NOT HURRY. Do you want the correct dose or not?

* Flu shots are a process, not a free sample in the grocery store. You HAVE to give us your name and we HAVE to fill out the forms. THERE IS NO GETTING AROUND THIS.

* Incase you're wondering what's taking so long, this is exactly what happens when you come up and ask for a flu shot:
    -We pull up your profile.
    -If you are not a regular customer, we must create an entirely new profile for you.
    -We must have your most recent insurance information.
    -We type in the shot as if it were a prescription from your doctor. This includes the name of the med, the proper corresponding NDC of the vaccine we have in stock, the SIG code, the days supply, the dispensing physician, the administering Rx, the site of injection, the Lot number and expiration date of vaccine, and your doctor's name if you have one.
    -We must then bill your insurance. Ofttimes we get a rejection for whatever numerous reasons. We then must access sub-screens and enter override codes. If the overrides do not work, we must bill the state. If it still rejects, you may have to pay out of pocket. Sorry, not much we can do about it.
    -We then send the "prescription" over to production, who print it out and pile it up with the other scrips waiting to be checked. It is marked as a "waiter" which means it must be attended to in 15 minutes or less. This is not always possible, especially when the local news station encourage their viewers to go out and get their annual flu shot.
    -The Pharmacist on duty will receive the scrip, check to make sure it's been processed correctly and signs off on it.
    -We will then call you up to the register and ring you up, even if there's no charge. WE HAVE TO ACCOUNT FOR THE VACCINE, therefore it has to be rung up. You must sign for it. You must complete a checklist, sign and date a one-sheet form.
    _The Pharmacist must then wash their hands thoroughly, don rubber gloves, take the vaccine out of the fridge and draw the vaccine up into a needle as per precise instructions. They must make sure no air bubbles are in the syringe, or you could have an embolism.
    -They then can exit the pharmacy with their sharps container, alcohol wipes, needle, bandaids and whatever else in hand.
    -They will direct you behind a screen, ask you to roll up your sleeve and administer the shot.
    -Do NOT wear tight clothes.
    -PLEASE BATHE!!! The Pharmacist WILL come back and tell us who stinks, who has body cheese, etc. It's fucking disgusting.

Now, imagine there are 30 people ahead of you who all want flu shots.
    Rinse, repeat.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to come in when you have ample time to spare. There is no "good time" to come in and get a shot. It will always take fifteen minutes AT LEAST. That's standard. Deal with it.

Thank you.

Makes me glad I can get mine for free at work. It still takes a few minutes; we have to sign in, fill out a questionnaire, and wait for an available nurse. But if you catch them during a slow time, it takes 10 minutes tops.

Quoth Boomslang View Post
    Only the Pharmacist, or a pharmacy student intern, can administer shots. Do you really want just anyone ramming a needle into your arm?
    Is that a licensing thing or company policy? Because, to be fair, giving an IM shot is not particularly difficult and anyone with half a brain can be trained how to do it. I do it on my dog from time to time (anti-inflammatories for her bad hip) and many people give themselves allergy shots. In theory, your pharmacy could have a designated sticker or two that might alleviate some of the strain on your pharmacists. Maybe a couple CNAs or LPNs to handle flu season.

Then again, needles don't really bother me too much so I don't really care if I'm someone's guinea pig. It's not the needle stick that hurts. It's when they push the vaccine. That sucker burns.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I wonder why Pharmacies offer them at all, given the total time-sink doing it this way, and the low price of the shots.

The scheduled clinics make way more sense for everybody involved, as the process is streamlined, quick, and doesn't require a busy Pharmacist.

(That said, I am (or will be, anyway) eternally grateful for the Pharmacies that offer the Pain-In-The-Rear vaccines like Shingles that doctor's offices don't like to mess with because of the fast expiration and strict temp-control requirements.)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
        Is that a licensing thing or company policy?
        It's a certification thing.

Comment

On the flip side all the ads make it seem like everyone at the store is ready to give you a shot blow gun style the second you walk in.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
            On the flip side all the ads make it seem like everyone at the store is ready to give you a shot blow gun style the second you walk in.
            And now I'm laughing like a maniac at work...

I can just picture it: pharmacist dressed like they're going for a big game hunt or something... Blinds set up in the CVS aisles....

Comment

Quoth GOInsanity View Post
              ...I can just picture it: pharmacist dressed like they're going for a big game hunt or something... Blinds set up in the CVS aisles....
              And the trophy room!

"People of Walmart", move over, new champ.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'm now picturing my favorite pharmacist dressed up like a ninja...

On those lines, at the ENT clinic at a very large, famous, serious, hospital I went to, the reception desk had a sign on the wall behind the counter labeled "Ninja Exit", with a prominent arrow pointing towards the ceiling.

Comment

Sirwired: the money they make from immunizations far outstrips what they get from drugs. It's almost complete profit, instead of pennies on the dollar.

Comment

Quoth GOInsanity View Post
                    I can just picture it: pharmacist dressed like they're going for a big game hunt or something...
                    Wasn't there a Dilbert story arc along those lines?
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've gotten a flu shot plenty of times at one of the many pharmacies in my area, ranging from the Warehouse's pharmacy to the 3-lettered variety. And I fully expect there to be at least a twenty minute wait on said shot, I figure it's a better deal to get it there then to have to wait at a doctor's office for an hour.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Back when we started giving out the flu shots in the pharmacy, we were given t-shirts to wear to promote it. I had a customer point at a fellow employee and ask if she was giving out the flu shots because of the shirt. Yes, we have people randomly walking around the store sticking people with needles.

"Look, there's a clearance sticker on that item!"
                        POKE!!
                        "Oh, nevermind but now you won't get the flu!"
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

This is why I make appointments at our doctors' office - they have a walk-in clinic that is part of the larger practice, so all flu shot appointments get sent through them. You check in, the insurance is already done, and we get vaccinated. Whole thing, in and out, for all the kids at the same time plus me, takes 15 minutes at the most; and the fact we got this is automatically updated in our patient file. I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't get the shot if the pharmacies weren't offering them, but I don't understand why people do it that way when their doctor's office can do them and much quicker.

Comment

Thanks for the overview, I had no idea there was so much involved. I'll either get it at my health care place or at work.

Had a good laugh at the blow gun image though...I'd pay to see that!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Boomslang View Post
                              Okay people, the most dreaded time of year has arrived for pharmacies nationwide: FLU SHOT SEASON.
                              In August? My doctor advises me to wait until October to get my flu shot since it will be more effective in the Winter months. Is there some medical reason for giving them in August? Or is it a corporate directive to increase sales?
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X