This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No air conditoner! Gimme a discount

We had a lady checking out a couple of days ago. Note that all of our hotel rooms come equipped with a ceiling fan and a portable one. Guests can request an additional portable as well.

Guest: Do none of your upstairs rooms have air?

Me: If you mean air conditioning, no we don't have it

Guest: So just the downstairs ones are?

Me: No we do not have air conditioning at all

Guest: Well it was really hot last night

At this point I just give her a polite smile and anticipate the discount request. I was not disappointed.

Guest: When I complained all the owner did was offer us an extra fan. He didn't seem to care about our needs.

Me: I'm afraid that's all we can do

Guest: You should have portable air conditioners for these kind of emergencies. We weren't happy and you should give us a discount.

These guests checked in at 6pm and left the next morning. We don't have air conditioning, none of the hotels in this town do. If she had bothered to call us or check our website, she would have known this in advance.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Hmmm, no A/C in a hotel room is a common thing on the west coast?

I stayed at a hotel in Coos Bay, OR a couple years back. No A/C, only a ceiling fan. Plus the hotel was in between the two main drags in town. Not a very good night's sleep.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      No A/C period is a common thing. It normally doesn't get hot enough (though this year it's been unseasonably warm).
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I was trying to remember, and I don't think I've ever needed A/C in a hotel here. Maybe the hotels did in Southern California, hum.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Interesting. I was unaware of that.

Having grown up in the Deep South, it has always been my experience that not having A/C in a home, car, or place of business is considered a major deal-breaker. It still mystifies me that car dealerships refer to it as an "option" >_< This always makes me think "Yeah, just as optional as the steering wheel, brakes and tires are o_O" -- People selling used cars will list "Just refilled the freon" / "A/C blows snowballs" as a major selling point.
          Last edited by EricKei; 09-01-2015, 08:21 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

im from arizona no ac is ... .... ..... not happening.

even if we dont need it in the hotel we turn it on.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

"A/C blows snowballs" as a major selling point.
              Who's snowballs and why does he get the good ad on?
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I work in the Central Coast part of California. Air conditioning in hotels at least seems to be very rare. The town I work in has about 7 other hotels and none of them boast air conditioning. I'm not sure exactly why that is.
                My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I stayed at a hotel in Coos Bay, OR a couple years back. No A/C, only a ceiling fan. Plus the hotel was in between the two main drags in town. Not a very good night's sleep.
                  I grew up not far from there. No AC in homes is far from unusual. It just doesn't get hot enough there to really make it worthwhile.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Well, no AC on the Coast. Go inland a bit, and you'll start seeing AC.
                    The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      No A/C period is a common thing. It normally doesn't get hot enough (though this year it's been unseasonably warm).
                      During the heat wave, it got stupid hot in my apartment and the ceiling fans were just not cutting it. Of course it was like 75% humidity, too, so you could've cut the air with a knife. One day I broke down and told my kid to get dressed, we were going out for dinner to get some A/C. We get to the restaurant and what do you know, they don't have A/C. We just looked at each other and started laughing. Thankfully, we were sat in front of a large fan and had a lovely meal!

TL;DR: No A/C here, either.
                      Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Back during Y2K when I was setting up and training people I did stints in LA, Edison New Jersey, Atlanta, and San Fran.

I did a week in LA ( near Disney world) during January) for the full blown Beta test setup. All the rooms had an A//C unit.

New Jersey and Atlanta had emergency repair/fix runs in Jan. New Jersey hotel had A/C unit. Atlanta (first time) Hotel had A/C unit but the weather was cold and rainy

During the summer (August) I did a 4 city tour for training and rollout Even The hotel in Fremont CA (east side of the bay just south of SF) had an A/C unit

A year later (working for a different company) I did 4 weeks in the heart of the financial district in San Fran. Yes the hotel did have an A/C unit. Nice weather Fog rolling in off the Bay.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                          Who's snowballs and why does he get the good ad on?
                          Word has it that he's really, really good at what he does.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In Australia, no A/C is usual. Well, maybe it's just common.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Having grown up in the Deep South, it has always been my experience that not having A/C in a home, car, or place of business is considered a major deal-breaker. It still mystifies me that car dealerships refer to it as an "option" >_< This always makes me think "Yeah, just as optional as the steering wheel, brakes and tires are o_O"
                              It an option because it's a local requirement. In the frozen north you'd have an engine preheater instead, and in more temperate areas maybe neither.
                              ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X