This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Things I Can't Teach You

Ok, so, working in a DIY Home Depo like store in Australia, many of our team members have a skills that come from years of working in a trade like plumbing or electrical. These team members usually have name badges that describe them as a Plumbing/Electrical/Timber expert. These team members are great for helping with questions relevant to their field, but, there are some questions they can't legally answer.

For example: Although I'm not an electrician, my father is an electrical engineer and I have picked up a few things here and there.

If you want to know the most likely reason your power boards are shorting in your kitchen, I can probably tell you why if you give me a bit of info on what's plugged into it, where it is in the house, what you were doing when the short out happened. However, and this is important, I CAN'T LEGALLY TELL YOU HOW TO FIX IT.

And you better believe this is something customers bitch about on a regular basis. How unfair it is that they have to call a tradie out to fix their issue because the mean assholes at X Store won't tell them how to fix it themselves.

I had one guy today complaining endlessly because he brought a non functioning fan in that he bought last Summer. I had a look at it for him - looks like he took the plug out of the wall by tugging on the lead...and had pulled part of the inner wiring apart. He asked how to fix it. I informed him he needed to call an electrician as I was not legally able to provide him with the info he wanted. Cue a stroppy tantrum at the trade desk. Yelling, pleading, attempts at bribery. I had to explain multiple times that:
    1. If my boss finds out I'm fired.
    2. If you break your equipment, damage your house or electrocute your dumb ass after my advice I'M LIABLE.

The guy eventually got the hint, but holy crap people, the concept is not hard: If I need to do 4 years of training and multiple safety courses/certificates to do this work at someone else's house, THEN I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT AT YOURS.
    Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

At the computer repair center I worked at we could do repairs, but in some cases we were not allow to replace one part with a better part because it was not the original manufactor's design and then we would become LIABLE is the insurance company found out and could in any way point the blame to us.

Comment

I feel your pain, there is that 1 in 50 customer I get who doesn't understand that I am NOT a mechanic.

No, you don't have to BE a mechanic to drive a tow truck. Same way YOU do not have to be (and clearly aren't) a mechanic to drive a car on the same street as me.

Some people REALLY don't get this, and get VERY angry, as if I'm just being lazy when all I can do is offer a tow and not fix it, right here, right now.

Sometimes, after explaining it all very carefully, they seem to get it, and then, after a moment's pause, conclude:

"Alright, I get it..... what's this gonna cost? Under the table?"

NO! Dammit, no! BAD CUSTOMER!!! BAAAAAAAAAAADDD!!!!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Some people REALLY don't get this, and get VERY angry, as if I'm just being lazy when all I can do is offer a tow and not fix it, right here, right now.
        What most of these ijits don't get is that road-side mechanics don't drive tow trucks. They have at least the Uhaul size truck with the name of their company on it, because... TOOLS. The tools, basic diagnostic equipment, and parts for most cars... take up an awful lot of space. There simply isn't space for the towing rigging.

Our repair vans were the same way. Full of tools and parts.. there's no ROOM to haul your massive fridge into the shop! Yes, people bitched when we had to arrange for a pick up of their appliance if it couldn't be fixed at the home.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Ugh. Same kind of people who call us to ask what they are supposed to say in the legal notice they need to run in the paper.

Why are you asking me? NYS law says you have to run one a certain number of times in a newspaper with X amount of circulation, and NYS law knows what you are required to say. All of these things depend on WHAT the notice is for: Liquor license, LLC, divorce proceedings, unclaimed funds, etc, etc. WE cannot be held liable for wording the damn thing, we just print it. Do your due diligence and go ask your attorney!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You're giving me flashbacks to the newspaper here. Specifically, to the ones who would send us legal ads via snail mail. On paper. 3 pages long each...Meaning, we had to type them in *by hand*, and they had DAMN WELL better be verbatim copies. We couldn't even go over to their office with a flash drive to get a copy of their Word document, as nobody ever seemed to know who typed the damn things up in the first place. I think we were lucky that they even knew what Word was.

Snail mail/on paper...In 2014.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Snail mail/on paper...In 2014.
              Could be worse...... there's a wholesaler around here who's business cards still list a telex number....
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I had to look up what "telex" even is. (sigh)
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  I had to look up what "telex" even is. (sigh)
                  So did I, I am 32 and I still never heard of this.

Nice way to feel young again.

Although, it could be that very few people in my area used the device to begin with. I have seen them in more 'upscale' hotels. Looking like they had not been used in many years (not run down, broken, or dusty. just that aura of unused). Although, I am thinking of the teletype phones that deaf people used to use. Correct me if I am wrong.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Telex machines. I had heard of them, but never seen them.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

People don't understand that there are laws governing what we do at work. I cannot legally serve that food unless I know it hit a safe temperature. We have logs we keep for years that I have to sign. Those logs are admissible as evidence in court. Not only is my company liable; I am.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Could be worse...... there's a wholesaler around here who's business cards still list a telex number....
                        Hopefully, whoever owns it will keep it very clean as it types to a waiting world.
                        Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                          I'm 46. Get off my lawn.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post

Nice way to feel young again.

Although, it could be that very few people in my area used the device to begin with. I have seen them in more 'upscale' hotels. Looking like they had not been used in many years (not run down, broken, or dusty. just that aura of unused). Although, I am thinking of the teletype phones that deaf people used to use. Correct me if I am wrong.
                            I had to support a telex machine starting in the late 80s. It wasn't a teletype. It was a fairly ordinary looking PC clone with a custom OS and likely a custom card to act as a "modem" for the telex line.

There were two different networks, one was "telex" and I forget what the other was. Both used telephone lines that were seperate from "regular" phone lines.

I know that originally telexes used Baudot coding rather than ASCII. Not sure if they still did that late in the game.

BTW, since at least the 40s most telegrams were actually telex messages between Western Union offices.

Comment

I know what a telex machine is but I've never seen one. Back in the mid 90's I started out on a fax machine with a giant heat-printed till receipt. That's where I learned the hard way to photocopy the fax paper and staple it to normal A4 toner-printed paper.

Yes, I did "accidentally" spill my cup of tea on the damn thing a year into my employment. Having a (justified) reputation for being a klutz came in handy sometimes; the replacement printed toner onto normal A4 paper.

I'm 38. Get off my... poured concrete
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X