This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was ... an experience

Now that I'm on The Mothership's regional FB page, I can ask people to pick up shifts I don't want, or pick up shifts that other people don't want.

So I offered to pick up an early-morning (i.e. starting at 7:30 in the ayem ... ) shift at our downtown location.

Hooboy.

This is the site where the washrooms are permanently locked because they've had too many junkies go in there to shoot up (and occasionally OD ...) so that you have to "buzz" people in.

Problem is, the doors are around the corner from the counter, so it's impossible to tell when somebody has reached the door ... until they come running back to ask you to buzz them in again. You also can't see people exit, so you're never sure whether either washroom is empty ... and if somebody is in one, and has forgotten to turn the lock on the door, there could be two people in for a dreadful surprise ...

You do see folks in suits in there, but you also see people who are obviously hanging on only because of various social safety nets. Also, the Mothership offers gift cards; you load them with money and use them to buy goodies and get stars, which ultimately lead to freebies. I noticed one card lying at the cash station next to mine marked "FOR PEOPLE IN NEED." Not sure who funds that one ... I can't see it being the company, but I could be surprisingly and pleasantly wrong about that.

Don't know how often I'll pick up spare shifts (that particular day, I had a doctor's appointment, which of course ran well past the time I'd allotted for it, and then had to rush off to my usual Mothership site for an evening shift ...) but it was certainly ... interesting.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero
Working...
X