Clear All

• How did I miss an earthquake?!?

Earthquake?!?

Last edited by EricKei; 04-20-2018, 02:04 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Perhaps there's a clue in the link?
    ...sex-1...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Probably the same way I missed 2 earthquakes: the book I was reading was just really good.

There were 2 within a month that were about the same on the scale in my area. Friends a street away felt both, but I had no idea until they were mentioned on the news.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Here is the web site for the USGS Earthquake Hazards program. It has all the ground shaking news.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I slept through the first one I ever experienced. The second one happened while I was in the bathroom. I'm like, "I knew I was constipated but..."
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Many years ago when my youngest daughter was 3 or 4, she was in our bed because her brothers had scared her. Around 2am the bed started shaking and startled me from my slumber. Figuring my wife was also awakened I asked "What was that?" Our daughter said Mommy farted while she's trying to pass a peach seed. I had to jump up and run to the bathroom and grab a towel to laugh into. Unfortunately my wife heard her and daughter had to serve several hours standing in the corner.
            It's rare we get earthquakes around here and when we do they go largely unnoticed, and for that I'm thankful.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

A 3.6? Psssh. Not even worth getting out of bed for!

We had one, same magnitude, a couple of weeks ago. One of my coworkers asked, "Hey, did we just have an earthquake?" I never felt a thing.

Now the 8.0 a couple of decades back, that was really something to notice!!!
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

We had some tremors a few years back http://www.wxii12.com/article/earthq...-triad/2043019

Very strange to be in your bedroom and everything starts moving out of the blue!
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My partner experienced an earthquake where he was living at the time, but it was a very small one. This was despite the fact that the epicentre was closer to ME than to him and I didn't feel a thing!

needless to say, many, many, MANY jokes ensued on Facebook shortly after since that was the first time my hometown had ever had an earthquake.

Comment

Last time I was in an earthquake, I was in a fifth-floor apartment and ended up staggering around like somebody who either had just come onto land from an extremely violent sea, or who had just come off a six-hour drinking spree ... or possibly both.

So I thought it was really bizarre that I didn't notice a thing in a 14th-floor apartment. Somebody told me, "Well, the higher up you are, the less you'll notice it." I'm pretty sure it's the other way around ...
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      I thought it was really bizarre that I didn't notice a thing in a 14th-floor apartment. Somebody told me, "Well, the higher up you are, the less you'll notice it." I'm pretty sure it's the other way around ...
                      It's going to depend on the details of construction. Sure, you can design a building for lower floors to absorb the shaking, but it's much more expensive, and you need to maintain the mitigation stuff. On the flip side, a building that wasn't designed with earthquakes in mind might resonate, or worse.

When we had the Mineral City earthquake a couple of years ago (I was a couple of towns over from the epicenter), a lot of buildings got subtly but badly damaged -- cracks in foundations and walls, that sort of thing. A significant number of structures were effectively "totalled" -- fixing that kind of damage can be unreasonably expensive.

Comment

Just experienced a 6.9 two weeks ago. I thought the rental car's engine was going to blow up, then I realized it would be making a lot more noise. My wife accused me of rocking the car side to side, then she noticed the car in front of us in the parking lot was also doing it...
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                        X