This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Small Town...

I live and work in the same small town. I'm pretty sure that most of these people who come in and harass me have no idea that I actually LIVE in this town and often times I know people who also know them and have known them for YEARS. Meaning that when you're nasty to me, and I complain about you, you're probably going to hear about it from your good church friend, MY GRANDMOTHER.

Somehow a few dipweeds have suddenly started being nicer to me. Fancy that.

Anyways, I've got a few new stories for you.

Italian SC who always leaves hair in the sink in the bathroom comes in.

SC: Never ask a woman for directions! She will not know!

Me: *looks around at all the females working* Well, there aren't any men here, so...

SC: Is there a MAP here?!

Me: Nope.

SC: [sarcasm] GREAT gas station.

Me: You know, usually, people just ask us for directions.

SC: PSH.

Guess who ended up giving him directions?

Fake ID????

There are two different New York State ID cards that can work, the new ones and the old ones. They each have different forms (enhanced or not, DL or just simple ID, that kind of thing) but they're all basically the same. They will SCAN into the register for age-restricted products. If your ID doesn't scan, you don't get sold cigarettes or beer.

An older woman comes in, obviously of age. She hands my CW an ID that is of the older style and when CW scans it, it tells her that Driver's License input is invalid. This sometimes happens with IDs from out of state such as Maine or older styled Ohio IDs, unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. It is EXTREMELY rare to find a New York State ID that doesn't scan into the register and in fact it is so rare that CW comes and finds me and shows me the license (because the woman is screaming).

Get this one: This New York State license has an out of state address on it. It has a Florida address on it.

I remember very distinctly when I moved up here that I had to get myself a PO Box in order to apply for a NYS license because I had to have a New York State address. Is there some kind of way around that? Is there a way to have an out of state address on a NY license??? Has anyone heard of this before?

Due to this, it was really no wonder that the damn thing wouldn't scan in and we had to tell the screaming woman to go pound sand.

Tourists...

We get a bunch of tourists who are either just passing through from Canada or from other states in for festivals or weddings or just to see what there is to see. We're a small place but we've got a few attractions that seem to bring people in. Plenty of times, their IDs don't scan.

"Haven't you guys heard of a passport? You don't do passports? It's kind of uh...you know...the pass...to the world."

Sorry, babe, but it's not your pass to beer. If it doesn't scan, we don't sell.

"So what happens if I put this twenty on the counter and steal the beer?"

The police are called and my drawer is over by twenty dollars.

"Can I use your ID?"

Are you gonna pay my student loans when I get fired?

"19 is the legal age where I'm from!"

Fancy that. Go home.

Drunk at 10AM

Had a drunk guy (I may have spoken about him previously but maybe not. He was drunk and I called the cops on him in a blizzard.) come in at 10AM who was so horribly wasted that a customer tried to block him into the parking lot while she called the police. He managed to hit a tree and drive clear over our landscaping to get out of the parking lot. The police have done nothing to resolve this issue and it seems Mr. Drunky is correct when he slobbers all over the place and insists that he "owns the police." I can still have him banned, I suppose, but if he finds out it was me who did it, he already has beef with me and you might find me the victim of some kind of horrible revenge crime (he already swung the back end of a buick at me while I was sweeping the lot one day) so I think I'm gonna let the customers fight this battle for me.

Let's just hope he doesn't run over any kids with that damn truck.

Quoth Gaki View Post
    Plenty of times, their IDs don't scan.

"Haven't you guys heard of a passport? You don't do passports? It's kind of uh...you know...the pass...to the world."

Sorry, babe, but it's not your pass to beer. If it doesn't scan, we don't sell.
    Just wondering as a naive Yooropeen, since I've heard it before.... how come some stores/companies won't honor international passports as valid ID? I mean, it would be well enough for the TSA, Immigrations and Customs to let me into the country, but not good enough to get a six-pack of Miller Lite and a pack of cigs?

Not complaining, just curious since I'd like to be prepared for it should I visit the US in the nearest future.
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-06-2015, 08:32 PM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
      Just wondering as a naive Yooropeen, since I've heard it before.... how come some stores/companies won't honor international passports as valid ID? I mean, it would be well enough for the TSA, Immigrations and Customs to let me into the country, but not good enough to get a six-pack of Miller Lite and a pack of cigs?

Not complaining, just curious since I'd like to be prepared for it should I visit the US in the nearest future.

My natural assumption would be that you should be able to do so. I did a quick Google search and the majority of people seem to be indicating that yes, you can use a passport to purchase alcohol or cigarettes. That also may depend on the business' policies or state, though.

But we all know how much sense some states policies make, right?

Comment

It's a corporate effort to cover their asses. They don't want to be fined for selling to underage people, so they rely on computer technology that is not always able to recognize ID'sfrom other states or countries. I ran into this when I was in Washington state with a North Dakota ID. The cashier was apologetic, but the computer wouldn't recognize my out of state ID and there was no way for her to override it. I started carrying my passport full time since that was a major chain and also the cheapest place to buy smokes in the area.
        Last edited by mathnerd; 08-06-2015, 09:58 PM. Reason: Autocorrect really didn't like the term "ID"
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
          Drunk at 10AM

Had a drunk guy (I may have spoken about him previously but maybe not. He was drunk and I called the cops on him in a blizzard.) come in at 10AM who was so horribly wasted that a customer tried to block him into the parking lot while she called the police.
          Public Intoxication and DUI don't mean anything to your local police? Do you have a Sheriff's department or something you could call??
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
            I live and work in the same small town.
            My job is in a small town, where there's little opportunity.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Zel -- Some companies simply refuse to accept ANY ID that wasn't issued by the state they're in; presumably because the employees would be unable to readily identify fakes (except for the bad address one mentioned above). On the passport guy : Well, he was 19 and could not have gotten beer anyway
              Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              *cue acoustic guitars* Heyyyy~~~ yeah-ee yeah...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Quoth EricKei View Post
                *cue acoustic guitars* Heyyyy~~~ yeah-ee yeah...
                OK you guys just beat me to it
                so here is the video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

^He was in concert up by you not too long ago.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    I live and work in the same small town. --- Meaning that when you're nasty to me, and I complain about you, you're probably going to hear about it from your good church friend, MY GRANDMOTHER.

Somehow a few dipweeds have suddenly started being nicer to me. Fancy that.
                    Exhibit number one on why I will NEVER move to a big(ish) shity city. (not sure why my computer keeps misspelling shity city, darn did it again )

A population of 10,000 is my max, for the whole county, not just the city.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

If there was a store that had to actually scan my ID for me to buy alcohol, there is no way in hell that I'd buy anything from that store. I'm not overly crazy about preventing ID theft, but thats just insane.

Though I'm not surprised by stores that don't take even out of state ID. I had a week long job orientation in a suburb of Houston and the hotel shared a parking lot with a gas station. A lot of the other people there for the orientation were pissed because that gas station refused to accept out of state licenses.

Comment

Quoth GOInsanity View Post
                        If there was a store that had to actually scan my ID for me to buy alcohol, there is no way in hell that I'd buy anything from that store. I'm not overly crazy about preventing ID theft, but thats just insane.
                        I'm not sure you'd be able to buy alcohol anywhere in my town, then. Maybe once in a while, they've keyed in something instead of scanning the ID. My mom gets ID'd and she's in her 60 with white hair. I think the register makes them.

Gilhelmi, it's funny how different people are. That example of small town gossiping is a large part of why I live in a town of 80K. But I fall back on what I say when people start trying to convince someone that *insert part of country here* is the best place to live. "If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place."
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Passport=Gov't issued photo ID, no?

Comment

Indeed. The thing is, some places refuse to accept anything not issued by their particular *state*, for whatever reason. Many cashiers these days have probably never seen a passport, anyway
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post

I know in my state a passport is valid ID for age restricted purchases, so if you should visit NC you should have no problems.

Besides, we have a lot to see here in North Carolina . . . we have beaches, mountains and lots of interesting stuff in between.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X