This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food advice ...

I have been shovelling my car out and today I found ... two cans of tuna.

They've been sitting on the floor on the passenger side for some time ... a month? Two months? Longer? I'm not sure.

The thing is, they've sat there through some serious heat waves. I've gotten in that car quite a few times and it's been a bloody oven.

So ... is the tuna still safe to eat? The cans aren't swollen or punctured or damaged in any way. But I'm wondering about the temperature extremes ...

I'm trying not to waste food, but would prefer not to do so at the cost of food poisoning.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I would say don't take risks if you're unsure. What my body can handle may be different from yours. I've eaten undercooked poultry and I've eaten ten year old canned ham. But I've also been violently ill from school milk and dodgy slim jims.

I might take my chances with the tuna but you've made some pretty good arguments for not eating it. I wouldn't worry terribly about wasting food as you would still be wasting it if it made you sick.
    Last edited by TheWolfEmperor; 07-25-2019, 02:40 AM.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

It should be fine. The only way there'd be something wrong with it would be if it wasn't canned properly in the first place, and then it would be bulging.

Comment

Canned goods are typically shipped in semi trailers that are not cooled. I suspect they can get hotter than your car.

There may be a customer service number or web site on the can where you can ask about the safety of the product.

I found this web site: Can Tuna in Cans Spoil in Heat?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Unless the vehicle reached "egg-frying-on-dashboard" temperature, you won't even notice a difference. They'll be fine to eat.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            Canned goods are typically shipped in semi trailers that are not cooled. I suspect they can get hotter than your car.

There may be a customer service number or web site on the can where you can ask about the safety of the product.

I found this web site: Can Tuna in Cans Spoil in Heat?
            Thanks, will check that sit out!
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X