This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Application, sort of

I was reading an application that was left in the office the other day and I was actually impressed how well it was filled out, and the fact they included a resume, which most people do not bother with when applying to our location. Hell, they don't even bother completing the mandatory parts.

I actually enjoyed the explanation for employment gaps in employeement was along the lines of

"attended to family health issues", translation drug rehab and i think maybe prison for a bit, forgot what their father told me as it was months ago I had that chat but when I saw the application I was impressed how well that transgression was covered up. Much higher chance of getting hired if management doesn't do that good of a background check. and considering my knowledge was in confidence and I know his kid working on turning around I'm not gonna be the one to be like OH OH I KNOW A STORY, since I mean I only heard stories don't really know the applicant
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Hmm, now that makes me paranoid it's why I can't seem to get hired or even interviewed anywhere. I put something similar, except it's actually not a euphemism...I have a several year gap in my work history due to taking care of a relative with senile dementia.
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Well I guess it also depends on your work history, this particular one has short periods at each job with explanations of left for a better opportunity
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

An applicant that explains gaps in work history? Is this circle of hell somewhere near Florida?

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
          Hmm, now that makes me paranoid it's why I can't seem to get hired or even interviewed anywhere. I put something similar, except it's actually not a euphemism...I have a several year gap in my work history due to taking care of a relative with senile dementia.
          Maybe you should reword it a little, something along the lines of "acted as caregiver for relative"
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Maybe you should reword it a little, something along the lines of "acted as caregiver for relative"
            Don't even mention it was a relative. Try, "Provided in-house daily aid to patient unable to carry out full self care activities," or else, "Live-in caretaker for elderly client."
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Don't even mention it was a relative. Try, "Provided in-house daily aid to patient unable to carry out full self care activities," or else, "Live-in caretaker for elderly client."
              Don't over church it up because then they will be wondering why your not listing your client as a job history.

But I do second the "acted as primary caregiver for disabled relative" because it does add a sense of responsibility without being too indepth, but thats just mean. I would try and avoid mentioning the illness because some people are weird in the fact they might associate you as being prone to the illness like it is contagious. As we all know some pretty clueless people do get left in charge at times.

Comment

If the relative in question has died, I'd be inclined to put "Acted as caregiver for relative, now deceased". That way, it shows that you aren't going to leave to take care of the relative again.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  That way, it shows that you aren't going to leave to take care of the relative again.
                  That's what I was trying to get at. Way to parse the language efficiently wolfie!
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My current employer contracts with an outside company for reference and background checks - except this outside company sent me a copy of everything too.

My first manager from Papa John's passed away about 3 years ago, and the other managers I've worked with have all left the company. I explained that during the interview and offered a couple of references that could vouch for my time there (one of whom is still working there... 11 years later). Apparently the background check folks tried to call my old boss anyway, only to be informed that she was dead and nobody currently on shift had been working there more than a year, so nobody could vouch for me.

Thankfully my other references/former managers spoke highly of me. Though I may have stretched the truth a little about why I left my last job..

Comment

Working...
                    X