This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful what you wish for

I've been wishing, the past couple of months, that I could take a few days, maybe a week off of work.

Well, I got my wish, but only because I was in too much pain to do said work. :P I got a glob of hot glue on my finger. Bad enough, but when I tried to pull it off so it wouldn't burn too badly, it ripped the skin of my finger off as well. The whole fingertip, a patch just smaller than a dime, is completely skinless. And the tissue under it was burned.

It hurt like HELL at first. Just washing it out with saline made me literally cry with pain. Putting disinfectant on it just about made me scream. I couldn't get a bandage on it at all, we had to sort of encapsulate it in a bubble of gauze that didn't actually touch it.

I did get some nice pain pills, so eventually I was okay. But that was on Monday and I still haven't properly healed up, it's still skinless, just scabbed over. I'm sort of back to work today, but still doing a lot of things one-handed, as bumping it hurts like heck. Typing is a nuisance, can't play the piano, doing the dishes is annoying, and generally it's interfering with everything.

So yeah. Be careful what you wish for.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

It's amazing how one little spot on one finger can hose up everything and make it hard to do things you need to do.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

How come you haven't been to a doctor to get it properly take care of?

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        I did get some nice pain pills, so eventually I was okay. But that was on Monday and I still haven't properly healed up,
        Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        My guess is that she DID go to the doctor (see boldface in first quote). Burns hurt a LOT, and ripping the skin off is worse.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          I had a huge rant about this typed up, but eh. It was probably getting into fratching territory. I will just say that if you want to pay for some health insurance for me, or pay for the doctor's visit, I'd be happy to go. Not everybody has that option, you know.

It's nearly healed now. Still skinless right in the middle, and kind of sore, but it's nicely scabbed over and I expect by this time next week you won't be able to tell anything had happened.
          Last edited by spark; 03-13-2011, 01:29 AM.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
            I got a glob of hot glue on my finger. Bad enough, but when I tried to pull it off so it wouldn't burn too badly, it ripped the skin of my finger off as well. The whole fingertip, a patch just smaller than a dime, is completely skinless. And the tissue under it was burned.
            Did this happen at work? If so, you shouldn't be out any money to see medical personnel for this injury. If not, and on your dime, I can certainly see where you're coming from, money wise. I do without a lot so that the kiddos can get to the doc and have food, etc.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

~Luna

Comment

See, there's those assumptions again. It did, indeed, happen at work. I'm self-employed. So it's entirely my dime, whether I or my "work" pay for it. Not every job is a traditional, corporation, nine-to-five with insurance and unions.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                See, there's those assumptions again. It did, indeed, happen at work. I'm self-employed.
                I think it was more of a thought that, if it was work related, it could be covered under a worker's comp issue, but obviously the members who commented were not aware that you were self-employed.

I hope you feel better soon.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Little trick about hot glue...keep a bowl of cold water handy when you are working with it. That way, if it gets on you, you can instantly put your hand into the bowl of water and the glue will immediately cool and harden up. It won't burn you as badly and you can hopefully peel it off without tearing yourself up.

The impulse is to wipe it off with the other hand...bad. Then you get two burns instead of one. If it just sits on your skin, it continues to burn you while it cools slowly. This stuff is like napalm.

Hope you feel better.

Comment

Nearly lost the tip of my right index finger to the blade of a model airplane engine (long story, basically came down to that I was learning how to start the engine the wrong way and my reflex was faster than the 'There's a spinning prop right there' thought in my mind).

Having a finger wraped in bandages for the better part of a month makes life real interesting, esepcially when it's part of the hand you use to perform basic functions.

Funny part was that this occured just 5 days before my parents kicked me out of the house, too. Not a good week that was.

Comment

I did that once a long time ago, thankfully it was a very small area and I happened to be at a friend's house and her mom was a doctor so she did a pretty good job of fixing me up but even so it hurt. You have my heartfelt sympathy and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Comment

Working...
                      X