Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The parking lot is now a lake! (With pictures)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The parking lot is now a lake! (With pictures)

It has rained a lot during the night. And this being the typical Norwegian winter (lots of snow and ice) the water has nowhere to go (the drainage is blocked by snow).
    So when I walked to work this morning part of our parking lot was a lake , a very deep lake.
    The office was of course on the other side.
    I managed to get across without getting soaking wet. Not an easy task.
    I just have to cross it again when I finish work.
    Attached Files
    “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Time to buy wellies! Or a small boat, and offer shuttle services!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I have two excellent pairs of waterproof boots, I of course didn't think I would need them today.
      The fun thing is that the road up to the house I live in is also flooded. I have to get across two lakes to travell between work and home.

Comment

Before I got hired at my co-op I knew another student who was already there, the town started flooding and they were reluctant to let people go home, they ended up needing rescue boats to evacuate the building. He was luckily smart enough to go home before the flooding got really bad.
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Architectus Assistantus View Post
          I of course didn't think I would need them today.
          Well, neither street nor parking lot would have been flooded, if you had worn them!
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Did your first SC complain about the lake?

Comment

With a bit of luck the moat stopped them getting in.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                Did your first SC complain about the lake?
                I am lucky that I have almost no contact with the customers at my present job.

Quoth dougall View Post
                With a bit of luck the moat stopped them getting in.
                It was possible to get through it if you were driving, but with a risk of drowning the engine. And every customer who visits us does drive.

The parking lot was even more flooded by the time I left work. I barely managed to escape from the office.
                Luckily somebody was digging a ditch when I left yesterday, and the lake was completely drained this morning.

I took a new photo when I left yesterday; the road you see in the background is the one I use to get home. I had to take a longer route home.
                Attached Files

Comment

OK, now I want to go to Norway for vacation. (I miss mountains.)
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We have the same problem, to a lesser extent, in Finland.

What usually happens is that when the thaw begins, the churned-up slush at pedestrian crossings is the first to melt and turn into loshka, a kind of semi-liquid semi-frozen yuck. And because the snow/slush on either side of it is still frozen, it cannot reach the drains.

The result is a large and deep freezing puddle, right where everyone wants to cross the road.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I would recommend going in the July/August timeframe as the summer is in full effect. The weather is not that great here for about 2/3 of the year, mostly cold and rainy. But the summer is great. Best time of the year.

Chromatix:
                      This entire winter has been crappy. During the day it is warm enough for the snow to melt, thus creating slush.
                      But during the night it will freeze, and then there were ice, everywhere!
                      There was either really wet slush or slippery ice the entire winter, but now the spring is coming

It’s still better than last winter when I was in the army. It regularly got down to -30 Celsius (-22 Fahrenheit for you non Celsius people), it was not pleasant

Comment

Sounds like what we got here last year. Several areas, my 'burb included, got 3 feet of snow. What few places that had bothered to clear their sidewalks...really had it bad. Imagine a 2-foot high wall between the sidewalk and street. High enough that the melted stuff wouldn't go anywhere, but also packed enough...that what was underneath wasn't melting. Instead, most of the slush stayed where it was--the gutters and drains were all backed up like that for well over a month.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post

What usually happens is that when the thaw begins, the churned-up slush at pedestrian crossings is the first to melt and turn into loshka, a kind of semi-liquid semi-frozen yuck. And because the snow/slush on either side of it is still frozen, it cannot reach the drains.

The result is a large and deep freezing puddle, right where everyone wants to cross the road.
                          This happens also here in Sweden. Especially the plowing detail have an obnoxious habit to put the collected snow over the drains...

That's why I always put an effort to clean those drains (I have three around my house, located in a corner) and of course passing people staring at me... I've learned my lesson from previous winters... My street was one of the few that were not flooded

Comment

-Quietly steals some snow for Virginia, America from the Nordic countries- Snow? What snow? ... We got two snows this past winter, one of which was, compared to many places in the rest of the country, a mere foot Day after Christmas, too... I made that trek to work(One of the few managers to show up joked about winning a bet that I'd show up. I'm like the postal service, near NOTHING keeps me from making it to work if I'm scheduled), worked my 6 hours... And then the store closed half an hour after I left, because the snow was only getting WORSE at that point

I actually posted already about all the people stuck in the ditch in 4WD type vehicles...

I never see snow turn into lakes around here, though(Partly because we need to see snow first ), but we get some heavy downpours... During the Nor'easter of November 2009, half of my front yard was covered in water from so much rain falling, the huge storm drains on either side of the road in front of my trailer couldn't keep up (Granted, it's a trailer yard, and mine's not that big, but water halfway up ANY yard is worthy)
                            Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              Pining for the fjords, are you?
                              Quoth Chromatix View Post

Yay, now I know 2 words in Finnish, and one I can say in public=)

<I assume that when I hear a thunk sound on teamspean, and then perkele perkele perkele it isn't something warm and fuzzy, especially when the swede, the dane and the brit giggle at him>
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X