X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN Top 10 virus

This is a NASTY LITTLE F***ER!!!!

I have several tickets now on this, even though everyone is told not to install outside applications this tends to come in from other emails.

It hides itself well and it a pain in the @$$ to clean out. So far it is easier & faster to just reload windows on these machines.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I assume CNN Top Ten is the subject line for the email from the infected machine?
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I think so. I haven't gotten the email yet but the jist of the email is about a Microsoft product in regards to an application for CNN's top 10.

You have to install it to be infected with it.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

So apart from the damage, it's no more than a Social Engineering virus.

Nice.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yeah, I just scanned my client's personal files, none are infected (no infections anywhere in his profile) so it's just an OS virus that passes itself along.

The annoyance is that the PC will show "3,872 infected files" and direct you to an anti-virus SW site to "fix" it (for a cost, of course).

I hope they catch these people, they will even have TM infringement cases against them from MS and CNN (they used their logos etc..).
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

good one draggar. Like they'll spend their time trying to chase those guys. Without them, they wouldn't have the PR.

I actually email about an counterfeiter (had their address and everything), and I got no replies back from the company or the FBI (which strangely enough is assigned to handle counterfeit issues).
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Well, Microsoft might, if they can actually catch whoever did it. They could use the PR boost of prosecuting a virus creator.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

This is also known as the "Antivirus XP 2008" virus. I just spent 45 minutes manually cleaning out a PC with it and it seems to have been a success, I think I am the first one in my company to do so without reloading windows and all of their applications.

Now I need a
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I'm not a violent person.... but I've already been spammed this stupid thing about 200x a day.... for the past like 2 or three days. If I get too many more they won't be able to find who did it.

Comment

Draggar, can you PM me with some of the stuff you've done to clean it up?

Bigish wig at work got hit with it.
                    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Oh that virus, my niece got that nasty one on my laptop.... actually not that hard to get rid of.

taskmanager force terminate the virus apps.
                      hijack this remove the start-up app. (and delete the folder in program files).
                      it puts a no-name BHO also, remove that.

Install goggle toolbar to remove the browser redirecting. then uninstall the toolbar.

That how I got rid of it.

Comment

I've been getting about 10 of these CNN virus e-mails a day.

As luck would have it, I actually DO subscribe to legitimate CNN e-mail alerts. So in my early morning daze, I carelessly clicked a link in the first spam e-mail I received. I knew something was wrong immediately, as a pop-up kept asking me to install something, and the pop-up would not go away no matter how many times I tried to close it. I had to shut down my browser.

Do I need to worry about anything having just visited the site? I didn't install the program.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

You will know if it's on your computer. It's not exactly hiding from you.

It starts up a fake scan, that doesn't scan anything. Tells you you have 30,000 or so infected files and to give them money so you can have less money for food.

I would purge your internet cache just to be safe.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                            Draggar, can you PM me with some of the stuff you've done to clean it up?

Bigish wig at work got hit with it.
                            I find running MalwareBytes followed by smitfraudfix takes care of most of those fake antivirus programs. Backup files though, as sometimes they may munch an important file while cleaning, forcing me to reload Windows. I've only had that happen once out of about twenty cleanings though. Also, it was one I hadn't seen before, and haven't seen since, so it might just be the way that one infects the machine.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

AH! That explains all the CNN emails going to my spam.
                              I didn't open them just cos... I dislike CNN. Now... Fox News I'd have prolly read.

then again... i'm on a mac, so i'm not worried.
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 08-12-2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X